DALL SHEEP ADVICE

FALCON

OK,

I finally got the green light to start saving for a dall hunt.
I'm 42 and not getting any younger. I have have dreamed of hunting dalls since I started hunting, so its been awhile. It will take me some time to save the money, buts its gonna happen.
Some of you guys have done it, so I'll list what I'm looking for, and look for some advise. First of all, I'm not looking for the cheapest hunt. I believe you get what you pay for, so quality in my first priority. I'm not sure which way to go. Horses, backpack, or simply getting dropped off by a supercub with your guide and hunting out of a basecamp. I like the Brooks Range, but I'm open to other areas that are not crowded and have good sheep. I would like a shot at a 36" to 40" ram. Thats my goal. So getting back to my question. How many bones will I need to save to have a quality 10 hunt for sheep? I will probally have a partner go, so it would be 2x1. Any advice and or good stories would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

First, start putting in for Alaska 14C every year until you draw! Second, save up about $9-10K for the hunt, and $2K for other expenses (airfares, charters, overnights, etc.). Last, if you really want that sheep, spend the extra and go 1x1. Friendship is great and makes the travel and experience fun, but spike camp with one hunter is always more successful.

Blank:

Thats probally some good advice with the 1x1 concept. Question
on the drawing. How tough is it to draw that tag, and are all sheep tags in Alaska by drawing only?

No, sheep tags are OTC in the units with the respective outfitter. Unit 14C is the Chugach area, and is tightly controlled. Monster rams from this area, and several very good outfitters. You could be lucky on your first application. My hunting partners went up this Fall on the hunts in August. They were 50% success in the Brooks Range.

Blank:

Thanks for the reply. I love the looks of the Brooks Range, but I hear the sheep are a bit smaller.

Glen:

e-mail sent!

Here is one of those "Small" Brooks Range Dalls.
d7ry.jpg

Falcon you dog, that is awesome maybe one day I'll get a green light for that hunt.

To whoever killed that Brooks range sheep that thing is awesome, one of the more beautiful sheep I have ever seen, congrats.

I CONSIDERED BOOKING WITH MIKE, AND TALKED WITH HIM ABOUT THAT RAM. HE RUNS A GOOD HUNT, IN A GOOD AREA. BUT THAT RAM IS NOT THE NORM,IN THE BROOKS. MOST RAMS RUN 34-37 INCHES DEPENDING.IT IS HOWEVER A GREAT RAM. ... YD.

A ram like that is not the norm anywhere!
The good thing about the Brooks is that it is far enough from Anchorage and the population centers of Alasks that it doesn't get hit as hard as other mountain ranges.
Traditionally it hasn't produced giants.
HH

What a spectacular ram, is that yours Harry?

I'd be happy to hunt any of the mountain ranges up there, and the Brooks sure looks stunning from the pictures I've seen

thanks for posting the pic

Mine?
Only in my dreams.
It was recentley taken however.
I had to back out of a sheep hunt I had booked for this year.
Maybe some day.
HH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom