Dall Sheep Hunt Help

Trophy_Taker

I'm strongly considering booking a hunt in AK or Canada sometime in the next several years. I am far from wealthy so this will be a OIL experience and I want to get the best value for my money.

I'm in good physical shape (not yet sheep shape) so either a backpack or horseback hunt are options. It seems that Canada hunts provide better success rates and bigger rams but that comes at a higher cost. Is it worth the extra money to hunt Canada instead of AK?

Who do you boys recommend I put on my list of possible outfitters to research and contact? How much is a reasonable budget including airfare, hunt, and other fees?

T_T,
With the right outfitter Alaska produces excellent results both in success and size. Lots of guys on here know who to contact but I have no personal experience in Alaska for sheep.

I have hunted sheep 4X in Canada and every experience has been topnotch! Three of those time I was on the Dall sheep mountain with Arctic Red River Outfitters in NWT CA.

I don't know what the current pricing is for the various outfitters but you can work on the math problem at your convenience and decide if it will work for you.

Good luck,
Zeke

PS: It's doubtful that you'll ever work harder before and during a hunt in your life! Sheep have a tendency to do strange things to a guy's TV time! LOL

I have only hunted Dall sheep once and like Zeke, my son and I hunted with Arctic Red in the NWT. We had a fantastic experience with them, but most of the other NWT outfits are very good as well.

I agree with Zeke about Alaska. If you get with the right outfitter and guide you can have a fine experience, but AK also has plenty of fly by night outfits. I have two good friends that went to Alaska with high hopes, only to come home empty handed.

I don't know were he is at or how far out he is booked (if he is still guiding) but Rick French does a great job in Alaska. ( [email protected]) You can email him and check him out. Some of the draw units in Alaska can produce fine rams, if you can get lucky, but you still need a good guide.

Hunting white sheep is amazing and I really hope you are able to work out a hunt and have an incredible experience like we did.

I have not yet hunted sheep up north, but I will be in about a little over a month. I leave for a hunt in the NWT on August 2nd. For me this trip is also a OIL experience so I did a ton of research. I think for the most part what you've noted above is correct. On average the rams pulled out of Canada are larger and the odds of killing a ram are higher. But with that comes the increased cost. Going to Canada in a couple years I think you're going to need to plan on spending in excess of $23,000+ for the hunt, flights, tags, etc. It's definitely not cheap at all.

That being said every year there are some giant rams pulled out of Alaska. The draw units up there increase your odds of killing a big ram, but you could wait forever to draw one of those tags. I finally gave up waiting and just booked the hunt in Canada. There are a few guides outside the draw units who consistently kills big rams though, but I think the odds are against it in the open areas for the most part.

I'd talk to as many guys as possible and as many references as possible. A couple things to consider when looking at backpacking versus horseback would be if they can relocate you mid hunt if you're not into the sheep. If you're on a horseback hunt your somewhat limited to the area you can get to with the horses. If they can fly and move you during the hunt it can potentially increase your odds if your not into the sheep. Just something to also consider.

Good luck on your planning and hopefully the hunt.

Reread DOWN SOUTHs post several times....
I hunted Dalls last year in Alaska...
Both my son and I each killed Monster sheep..
You will work hard either place. But for that much money I would go the Canada way unless you draw a tag...Artic has a great Reputation all the way around. On a back pack hunt you probably aint going to be relocated either if you have to work hard to get up to sheep county. You wont have enough strength left to do it twice. But if they fly you into a Mt. camp you can relocate.
Also, one of the most important thinks I learned was the success odds lie!!! take them with a grain of salt...You would not believe how many guys pay that much money and show up out of shape and finished before they even start. Then they complain.
Its a sheep hunt!! Physically Prepare for it!!If you have to save for years then act like its once in a life time...
It will be the physically toughest hunt you ever do....

Thanks for the info you guys have posted. I have heard good things in the past about ARRO. I know that SFW purchased the outfit several years ago. Has that influenced the hunt either negatively or positively?

Any good or bad to say about other NWT outfitters? Ram Head Outfitters, Stan Stevens Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters, and Gana River?

A couple of AK outfitters I have seen recommended are Max Schwab, Jonah Stewart (Jonah's Alaskan Outfitters), and Dave Marsh (Big Game Big Country). Anyone have information, good or bad, about any of them?

What are some of the questions you guys suggest I have on my list to ask when calling outfitters?

I agree with the posters above. I think I would look at Canada.

I went on my only sheep hunt in 2010. This was in the Alaska range near Healy. I never saw a legal ram. I saw a lot of sheep and probably over 60 rams but not a legal one. I came to the conclusion that the area was overhunted. As soon as a ram reached eight years old it was shot. The first half of the hunt I hunted the same drainage that the outfitter had hunted the week before with other hunters and the second half of the hunt I hunted a different drainage that another outfitter had hunted the week before with horses.

Don't think that any sheep hunt is fun and exciting. Go sheep hunting because you want the challenge.

Some people kill a sheep after three or four days and are back in base camp sitting around the fire with a drink and hot food and think they had a tough hunt. Tough is when on day nine you are still fifteen miles from where you are going to be picked up the next day and you haven't chambered a round. I was physically and emotionally drained.

The hunt I went on was about $10,000 then and it's about $16,000 now and that doesn't include, airfare, license or tip. So $23,000
for Canada doesn't sound that bad.

Good luck with your choice.

Max Schwab is who I hunted with and I don't have anything bad to say about Max or my guide. It was just the fact that the same ground was being hunted over and over. I think you get away from that situation some when you go to Canada.

Good luck on your quest for a ram. Without getting too specific regarding costs because there's just too many variables and as you say your trip may be a few years off, here's a few things you can count on:

Canada dall hunts cost around 50% more than Alaska hunts. That is simply a function of supply and demand and demand for Canada hunts is greater because they have much higher success rates.

In the end a Canada or Alaska trip will cost around 35% more than the listed hunt price. Lets say you book a 22k sheep hunt in Canada + 1500 airfare to Whitehorse + 2k air charter to camp + 1k for licenses, meals, hotels on the way there and back + 1k for taxidermy and shipping + 1k for taxes and misc hunter/habitat funding. Now your 22k sheep hunt is 28.5k (maybe more, maybe less) and we haven't talked about the thousand(s?) in tips. Notice I said thousand(s) in reference to tips and not hundreds as that is what the outfitters would say is appropriate.

Airfare, charters, shipping and taxes are all a little cheaper in Alaska but you can still count on a 14k hunt actually costing around 19k.

These figures are approximate and I'm sure there are a thousand stories on this site and others about how a hunter got this and that for less money. Absolutely possible...

That brings up my next comment. Listen cautiously to the success stories of others! As you research for your hunt you will hear dozens of stories by hunters that harvested a sheep and "found a bargain", went on a last minute cancellation hunt, hired a hungry new outfitter etc. These stories are true and congratulations to the hunters but they are the exception rather than the rule. When a hunter harvests a ram he is anxious to share the tale over and over. If a hunter saves a significant amount of money in the process, that is conveyed in the story. The hunter that went on a fifteen thousand dollar camping trip and returns home empty handed licks his wounds and he doesn't have anything to "brag" about. You will be doing yourself a huge favor if you realize that stories of successful hunts are relayed 500 times more often than the stories of failure. So don't start to assume that sheep hunts are as easy to pull off as some of the stories would have you believe.

Last piece of advice, research, research, research. A little time on the internet will tell you that southern AK had a brutal winter 3(?) years ago and mature rams got a little harder to find. More recently northern AK and parts of the Yukon are experiencing significant declines in sheep populations. Look it up, Alaska residents are clamoring to find sheep. It's unlikely that the number of sheep hunters will decline, the pressure on a legal ram will increase.

Good Luck!

I've rarely seen a thread on MM with a cumulative total of more accurate and pertinent information!

I think just about everything written above can be take at face-value IMHO.

Good luck T_Taker and keep us posted on your progress.

Zeke

I have a sheep/caribou/moose hunt booked with Stan Stevens in 2016. I have been impressed with him so far and had several solid recommendations from past clients.

The only other guided hunt I have been on was a sheep hunt in Alaska. I had a similar experience as WVhunter. Close to the same area as well. I have nothing negative to say about the outfitter or guide but we struggled to find a legal ram in 14 days of hunting. Lots of sheep, and into 7 year olds every day but legal rams were next to non-existant. What others have said about supply and demand in AK is very much true. AK does not have defined outfitting areas either. Most of the outfitters have been operating under the honor system and staying out of each others way but the lack of legal rams in areas seems to be causing some to change. We witnessed one instance of a neighboring outfit move into our outfitters "area" with hunters. My guide stated that this had happened earlier in the season as well. In his 16 years up there he had never seen that happen. When confronted, he was upfront in saying there were not enough legal rams to go around. All this being said, these outfits in AK still do take many fine rams and most hunters find what they are looking for.

Additionally, when researching, make sure to ask the outfitter how he defines success or opportunity. You may be surprised what he says. I had one outfitter tell me that in his mind opportunity included if he saw a legal ram from his plane in the area he dropped the hunter or if a legal ram was spotted at any point during the hunt including through a spotter. Not my definition of opportunity. So just make sure you and your outfitter are talking the same language. Make sure you ask if the outfitter drops resident hunters as well. Most hunters ask about how many guided hunters the outfitter takes in a year but many, that do their own flying, will also be dropping resident hunters. A couple extra residents getting dropped in the same hunting area you are covering can change the equation quickly.

Good luck in your search and good luck on your hunt, where ever it ends up taking place.

An Outfitter that I have a good reference on is Bonnet Plume Outfitting operating in the Yukon.

I haven't hunted with them but I ran into a guy at the local gun range that had hunted with them several times and highly recommended them.

The hunt report I have from them is a little old, 2011 and earlier but during that time period they were 90% to 100% on 10 to 11 year old rams. They also do well on moose.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-15 AT 08:41AM (MST)[p]lots of good info here. I had the same questions a few years ago. Decided to go to NWT. Came down to higher success rate vs Alaska.

I can strongly recommend Stan Stevens / MMO. I had my list down to them and Arctic Red. Went with whichever had an opening (cancellation) and went with MMO. Had a great hunt. Lots of sheep and beautiful country. Wonderful people. Itching to go back. Here is a little video I made of the hunt.

https://vimeo.com/102747543

WVH, If you were to do it over do you think you'd be better off to book for the first hunt of the year with Max? Do most guides success rate go down as the season goes on? Is this a concern in Canada as well as AK?

b7321, great video thanks for sharing it and congratulations on a fine ram. It appeared that you shot the only legal ram you saw on your hunt?

>Do most guides success rate
>go down as the season
>goes on? Is this a
>concern in Canada as well
>as AK?

Negative!
Arctic Red has about the same stellar success throughout the sheep season. I've been there early and I've been there late and it makes little difference because the resident population doesn't pound the area. Having spent over a month and never seeing another hunter (or even hearing about one in the area) bodes well for the area.
BC for Stone sheep can be a very different story. We had to work around a group of resident hunter and they shot one really good ram.
Tons of good outfitter suggestions in this thread and ARRO isn't the only place to check out but I'd almost always look to NWT for Dall sheep. IMHO
Zeke

" I have heard good things in the past about ARRO. I know that SFW purchased the outfit several years ago. Has that influenced the hunt either negatively or positively?"

I'll give you my opinion, for what it is worth.
Arctic Red has always been a great concession with lots of great sheep and great country. I had friends hunt there 20 years ago and two owners ago. It has always been an outstanding outfit.

When it was purchased by SFW the operation was turned over to Tavis Molner. He had been part of ARRO for a long time and it does not appear that he has skipped a beat. ARRO continues to manage their age class very carefully. You won't be shooting a young ram there, even if his horn length makes him legal. Since SFW's involvement they have added some limited horseback hunts and perhaps a few other wrinkles. I see more big caribou coming out in recent years, so overall I think if anything ARRO has only improved. You can check out youtube hunts by OvisHunter and Ben Stourac for a good feel of ARRO. My son's hunt is included.

But as has been mentioned before, it seems that most all of the NWT outfits are very good.

Trophy Taker

Yes, If I was going to hunt the Alaska Range with Max or anyone else I would go the first week if I was doing it again. Since you are hunting the same ground every time a ram gets killed there one less for you to have an opportunity on. The week before I was there they had three hunters that all did kill rams and they all hunted the same drainage that I hunted.

I don't think that the first week would be as important in the NWT or Yukon. In Central Alaska an outfitters hunting area may be a few hundred square miles and in Canada it may be several thousand.

In Canada I don't think they are going to put hunters on the same ground unless they know there are still animals there.

The Alaska Fish and Game web site has the harvest statistics by unit for many years.

The GMU I was hunting was 20A. This was on the Wood River at the intersection of Virginia and Kansas creeks.

2014 results aren't posted yet but 2013 was 66% success for non residents and 25% for residents. But I wouldn't put too much importance on this difference because all of the non-residents were guided and most of the residents were not. Many of the residents would get flown in for a long weekend and hunt within two or three miles of the air strip.

One question for an Outfitter would be to find out the GMU and look up the harvest statistics.

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm

WVHUNTER, who was your guide with Max? I was up there with Max in 2010 as well with my 2 buddies. We went in for moose and sheep so we were there in September. I got lucky and shot my ram on day 1. One buddy shot his on day 7 and last buddy had similar experience to yours. He did go up the next year on the 1st hunt and tagged out on day 1. If not going for moose too, I think you're right, the 1st hunt would be best.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-15 AT 08:59AM (MST)[p]>b7321, great video thanks for sharing
>it and congratulations on a
>fine ram. It appeared that
>you shot the only legal
>ram you saw on your
>hunt?

Yes. But he was plenty good for me. And I really wasn't trying to hoof it up and over another mountain range to go look at more sheep. It wasn't a hunt where you can sit and glass various sheep and pick. Sure you can glass up other sheep, but chances are they will be miles away and take you a couple days to get there. If I go back I might hold out for something bigger or older, but after days on the mountain, carrying a full pack, busting your ass trying to walk miles across nothing but big rocks, you start to think a little differently :)

I should also add that all 6 hunters that were in camp got their sheep (including a bowhunter). I think 5 of us had tagged out by day 5, one other hunter tagged out on day 8 I think.

My buddy and I hunted the Alaska Range this past fall and pulled off a double on 8 and 10 year old rams out of the same band of rams on Day 1 minutes apart. The entire hunt will air in 3 weeks on The Hunt with Greg & Jake on The Outdoor Channel if you want to watch it. It was a backpack hunt so lots of work. But I turned 50 years old the day before I harvested my ram so it can be done. If you want to give me your phone number, I will give you a call. My ram won 1st prize in the photo contest at the Wild Sheep Foundation banquet in Reno this year. I believe you can do this hunt---door to door---for under $18,000. But you better be in shape. Cheers!

Bryan-Wisconsin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom