Dall Sheep Hunt

H

hillrunner

Hello,
I am looking at doing a dall sheep hunt in either alaska or canada in a couple years. I know how to ride horse, just would rather walk. That said, I am starting the search for outfitters that primarily do back pack style hunts. I don't need a "monster", I would just like a chance to look over a good number of sheep and take a good mature ram. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience/recommendations as to outfitters they liked or didn't. Thanks for your help.

WHEN YOU SEE THE AMOUNT OF COUNTRY TO BE HUNTED YOU MIGHT WISH YOU HAD A HORSE. IF YOU PULLED A MUSLE, TURNED AN ANKLE, OR TWISTED A KNEE YOUR HUNT IS NOT OVER ON HORSE BACK. ON DAY 3,4,5 YOU ARE STILL FRESH WITH A HORSE...NOT WITH A BACK PACK. I TOOK HORSES INTO THE YUKON.....GLAD I DID.....GOT A GOOD DALL & A OUTSTANDING CARIBOU........YD.

I did a backpack hunt with Gana River Outfitters last year and it was great. The thing about backpack vs. horse is you can stay on top and do not have to climb everyday. The guys that horse hunted there last year said if they did it again they would do backpack, because they climbed everyday. We got dropped off on top and stayed there until we killed our sheep.
There is a certain romance to hunting from horses in this country, but if you do not ride some and enjoy riding it may be a real pain !!!
Any of the guys in the NWT seem to have good sheep hunts. Kelly Hougen runs a great outfit for backpack hunts. I hunted with Harlod Grinde and he was all a guy could ask for and more. He has backpack and horse hunts. Great guides and a great pilot, I would go with him again in a heartbeat. Alot of guys on the plane coming home had been in Stan Simpson's camp and had nothing but good to say.

I called all of the guys and talked to them and decided on Harold because one, I could talk to him and enjoyed visiting with him, two he had openings when I wanted to go. Kelly is great, but can be hard to get in with if you do not book a couple of years in advance.

Good Luck and do not be afriad to ask more questions, PM me if you want more specicfics and I can give you my phone # and we can talk. I am working on my Stone Sheep hunt now, it is very addictive.

My buddy has been there twice and has tagged great Dall sheep both times! Also moose both time's and caribou once!
He is going back again next year for caribou only.
Awesome place!

Lien2

>Run, don't walk, and book a
>hunt with Kelly Hougen and
>Arctic Red River.

Oops.......this was supposed to go with my above post. :)

Lien2

Kelly Hougen and his crew are some of the best. I hunted with them last year and had the most amazing experience a guy could ask for. Very professional and organized. I believe he is booked through 2011. PM me if you want. I have tons of pics and willing to help in any way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom