Dall Sheep NWT 2014

bobby7321

Outfitter: Stan Stevens - MacKenzie Mountain Outfitters
Guide: Glen Stevens
Area: MacKenzie Mountains, Northwest Territories
Dates: July 15th-24th, 2014
Rifle: HS Precision .300 WSM, 168 gr TTSX

After striking out on all the western draws I got the itch to hunt sheep this year. Contacted Arctic Red and Stan Stevens at MMO. Those being my top two choices that I had been looking to book with. Just by chance I followed up again with both about Mid-June and as luck would have it Stan had a spot open on the first hunt. It was only a few weeks away at this point, but I figured that wasn't a reason not to go. so I sent the deposit and that was that. I try to stay fairly fit all year, so I was confident that I would do ok even on such short notice.

Quick gear list.
smartwool base layers
helly hansen impertech rain gear (took only jacket)
rest of clothing most all Kuiu
Scarpa Wrangel boots
smartwool liners and hiking socks
big agnes fly creek UL2 tent (wanted my own tent. last thing I want is not to get good sleep due to the guide possibly snoring etc... I also don't want to bother the other guy with my usual tossing and turning. at just at 2 lbs, well worth the weight)
big agnes mystic SL 15 bag and Big agnes UL pad
Kuiu Icon 5200 icon pack
Black Diamond Alpine carbon cork trekking poles (life savers)

only gear changes I would've made was to ditch the helly hansen rain gear and get some of the Kuiu stuff (back-ordered at the time I tried to grab some right before the trip). The guides had the kuiu rain gear and it performed well. Although if it was a later hunt and possibly LOTS more rain the helly hansen would be the ticket. I also might go with the Kuiu 7000 pack. Only because the 5200 was pretty full and then when packing the meat, hide, and horns, it was about to burst at the seams.

The hunting was pretty brutal. Lots of going up and down steep rocky terrain. Side hilling over very large rock piles with a heavy pack is not fun at all. I still can't believe I didn't bust my ass, the sticks really saved the day. Definitely the most physically demanding hunt I've been on. I got my ram on the 3rd day, I can only imagine having to go the full 10.

My guide Glen (Stan's youngest son) was a great guide and interesting guy. Did the whole hunt in vibram toe shoes! haha

I'll give you the short and sweet version of the hunt. Basically on the 3rd day we saw (or they saw us actually) a group of rams we had been chasing for a couple of days. We were pinned down by a small ram poking over a ridge, checking us out about 75 yards below. He didn't spook and bedded down right on a little bench on top of the ridge. After waiting a long time, the other rams in the group came over the ridge and when the big one presented a shot I sent one right thru the shoulder and dropped him right there. Luckily landing on a nice grassy bench before the steep rock slide below. made for a perfect spot for photos too :)

14559665818_772515bd46_c.jpg

14746027492_a0ef7c9e87_c.jpg

14746320605_460d89dfbf_c.jpg

14743147801_0c453252ca_c.jpg

We estimated him to be about 9-9.5 years old. 12.5 bases and about 35 inches in length. I am happy as hell with him.

14746033232_3b9f077676_c.jpg

14559689189_d0ab7c4e27_c.jpg

14559869797_d4c444e579_c.jpg

Base camp

some fishing to pass the days in camp after I got my sheep.

14766176273_13a687b28f_c.jpg

Glen with a nice Dolly

14559854537_b9c7dcb801_c.jpg

Quin with a fatty lake trout

14766173173_733bbf5c78_c.jpg

Can't say enough good things about Stan, Helen, and the boys. A real quality operation. Friendly as can be. Jodi the cook was great, best camp food I've had yet. And she just happens to be a damn good singer/songwriter/guitar player too. Just a nice warm atmosphere in camp. One of those places you start thinking about bringing your friends and family to because you know everyone will just get along and have a good time. And on top of all that the area is as gorgeous and pristine as any place I've been. Lots of sheep! All the hunters tagged out by day 6. We even had a bow hunter in camp, he got a nice ram on day 4 I believe. Great group of hunters in camp. Nothing but good times. I'll be going back again for sure.

Working on the video now. Should be done in a few days. Will post an update when its ready.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! That looks like a trip of a lifetime, great job on your ram!

Well done sheep hunter!
Thank you for the great write-up and the pics. I can smell the air and taste the clean water right now. There's just no place quite like NWT.
Congratulations on a fine hunt.
Zeke

Ditto to what Zeke said!
My son and I were in the NWT four years ago this week and your pictures bring back amazing memories.
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

congrats, that is an awesome experience for you!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Congratulations!!! Looks like an awesome hunt.

My dad and I are booked with Stan for sheep next fall. Our hunt is going to start August 4th. With posts like this it's going to make the next year drag along. Congrats again.

If I go back, thats the exact hunt I would try and book. 1st hunt in august, 3rd hunt of the season. Guides are still pretty fresh, weather should be ok, and hopefully those bugs might be gone by then. either way you will have a great time.

It was nice to be in camp with you. Congrats on a great sheep. I want to let you know that I did a tour of the H.S. Precision factory as soon as I got home. Could you send me a private message with the vimeo link of your bear hunt.
John
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Congrats on a Great Sheep! Enjoyed the story and photos to boot...

Thanks for sharing and again, congrats on a great sheep!

Tallbuck1

HOLY MOLY YOU GOT A LOT TO BE HAPPY ABOUT.........CONGRATS. REMINDS ME OF MY DALL TRIP TO THE YUKON.............YD.

Awesome Dall, congrats! Just curious what does a hunt like that go for with MMO? Their website doesn't list rates. Thanks.

11 minutes 41 seconds to be exact! ....and worth every second. I have to admit that I got a bit choked up thinking that I might not have another trip to the NWT. I've had 3 so I shouldn't be greedy but once a guy has been there he just wants to go back.

A good friend just called and we talked about his pending Stone sheep hunt in BC. He'll be there in 6 days. I know just how he feels right now! It's a sheep hunter's feeling and one that is more addicting than crack (I guess)!

Thanks, Bobby7321, for the video, pics, story and giving some of us that "feeling" again. Well done brother.

Zeke

thanks. I know what you mean. I'm already trying to find time to get back to NWT in the next few years.

I do have a stone sheep hunt set for 2015 with Art Thompson (Gundahoo). That can't come soon enough.

Thanks for posting the video up! I also enjoyed the video of Tajikistan, those Marco Polo's are incredible!

Thanks for sharing your video. What camera did you use to shoot the video? It was very good.

thanks guys. I really appreciate that. it sucks carrying the extra weight around and trying to film when its really the last thing you want to do. but watching and sharing the footage later makes it all worth it.

the camera I've been using lately is Panasonic X920. very good quality in a somewhat small package. also shoots in 60p (in case you want to do some slow motion stuff) I used to lug around a canon XF100. but the tiny bit you gain in quality is almost un-noticable, so I just keep it simple and light. i've done the same with my still camera. the canon 7d is now gathering dust, and I just keep my sony rx100 in my pocket at all times.

I have to laugh seeing all these guys lugging around HUGE cameras and tripods and still cranking out horribly crappy hunting videos. Not saying mine are the best, but I think the equipment is really not that big of a deal with every camcorder out there shooting really good quality video these days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom