Dall Sheep Outfitter Recommendations

steelhead

Hi everyone,

I am researching a Dall Sheep hunt I would like to go on in the next two to three years and was wondering if any of you have recommendations concerning outfitters. Any experiences you have had with outfitters or anything you have heard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hunted with Reynolds Outfitting in the Yukon years ago. Still a 1st rate outfit. Dan Reynolds own it now and took over from his dad. You won't hear much about him since he doesn't advertise, just word of mouth. But he is booked out 3 years in advance.

Another is Blackstone Outfitters, Jim Zink bought the area (just next door to Reynolds) opened up some new areas and is really taking some nice sheep. He is also booked out 2 years in advance.

NWT has several really good. Got to Grand Slam Club/Ovis for listed outfitters. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with Gana River, Artic Red, Ram Head, NWT Outfitters, the Lancasters. some have horses, others are backpac.

Also consider going to FNAWS sheep convention. Lots of outfitters are there.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

A correction. Blackstone Outfitters is owned by Jim Fink. Have to learn to proof read quicker....LOL

Nahanni Butte, NWT owned and operated by the Lancasters. Check out their website at "Lancaster/Fontana Hunting Company"

Lancasters is a good bet for sheep.

Nahanni Butte was previously owned by Greg Williams and I know him personally and its a great dall sheep area.

How bout Bonnet Plume in the Yukon? Owned and run by Curt Thompson and some huge rams come from there every year. you can check the sheep/bears/caribou out on this site. www.yukonhunting.com
I am going in August 04 (about 5 months) for my 2nd ram with BP.
He also runs a super stone sheep area. check it out and good luck. The alaska sheep hunts tend to run a little cheaper than the Yukon/NWT hunts, but overall AK probably doesn't have the trophy quality sheep that N. Canada does. Like the old adage says "you get what you pay for" is true with sheep hunting too.

Look up Kirk Ellis in Alaska, he hunts the Wrangell St. Elias National Preserve. His father operated in this area for at least 40 years and now Kirk and his brother Cole are operating the camp. Excellent pilots, can get you where you need to be, my father and I both harvested sheep with them in 1998 and 2000, my ram was 40" and my fathers was 38". Can not say enough good things about them. If you decide to hunt with them ask for Larry Rine to guide you, he's great.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom