Danner Pronghorn- What to replace with?

T264

I posted this in the hunting gear forum but really need some input here.

"I am on my 3rd pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorns and absolutely love the way they feel. However, I realized in the middle of a blizzard in Colorado this past season that they were no longer water proof, which sucked badly. Is there an 8" hunting/hiking boot out there as comfortable and light as the Pronghorn, while also being waterproof? Suggestions please."

T264

Finally, a post where I can help a fellow member. I recently bought 6 pairs of boots in a week and the one I like the best also fits your criteria. I sent most back.
Schnee's Beartooth. No break in period and very much like the Pronghorn. I've had lots of Pronghorn boots but they only last a year then they leak like crazy. I'm certain you will like the Beartooth if you like the Pronghorn. Very comfortable and extremely soft.

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Wolverine makes a really good light weight boot called the Antelope with gore tex's and scent loc. they're like wearing slippers

I've had 2 pair of Pronghorns and just got a pair of Meindl Denali at Cabelas. Way nicer than the Danners. My first pair of Danner's were awesome, second pair, not so much. Heard they sold the company and the boots were being made over in China. Quality has definetely slipped. I wanted to get some Kenetreks but the cost was a little steep, so long story short, got the Meindls and love 'em.

Had the same problem as you. Bought Meindl Perfekt's. I couldn't be happier. There is no comparison between the two.

Danner = Wet Feet

I had the same problem with the Pronghorns. I would walk the sole's right off a pair every year, and they weren't waterproof for long. After 4 years of pronghorns I switched to Kenetreks. They are spendy up front, but this is my 3rd year on them and they look dirty but new. At $169 x 4, the Danner's have turned out way more expensive than the Kenetreks.

Thanks for the responses and the Beartooth by Schnees looks great and is worth the $ if they last 2 seasons for me.

Question: After I posted this yesterday, I went to Cabelas website and they have a new version of the Pronghorn, called the Pronghorn Classic (about $30 more than the current pronghorn). The description says the classic goes back to the old style and construction that made Danners good to begn with, or something like that. It sounds like maybe they are starting to hear the complaints.

T264

What about Russell Moccasins, Sheep Hunter? The Schnees Beartooth is about $300, and the Russells are about $350. I have always heard that Russells were the best of the best and if they are only $50 more I might go that direction.

T264

I have the exact pair of Danners.Has anyone contacted them to see if they would warranty them.I know I'd be raising 10x's of hell if my were to leak.I don't wear my enough like most of you,thats probally why I haven't had the problem yet.

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

Was a Danner Pronghorner for years, not anymore. They are Chinese and always leak like a sieve. Last year switched to Meindl Prefekt's and have not looked back. Just got my first pair of Meindl Denali's yesterday. I think thatI will like them as well. Too bad about the Danner's, they were just like a tennis shoe! Hell, I use my old ones in the gym when I work out!

I just bought a pair of Meindi Ibex uninsulated boot for hunting here in Calif. They are gore tex. I love the way they feel and will give them the full test this weekend!

Another vote for the Schnees Beartooth. I had the Pronghorns and they are not in the same league as the Beartooth.

These Beartooth that you speak of, how do they compare to pronghorns as far as flexability and weight are concerned. I love how my pronghorns feel like oversized tennis shoes. The beartooth look to be all leather which may make them less flexible and make them heavier on the feet?

As an aside, IMO my meindel perfects are a totally different boot compared to pronghorns. I love them but for insulation, ankle support, and durability. They feel like boots rather than shoes.

>These Beartooth that you speak of,
>how do they compare to
>pronghorns as far as flexability
>and weight are concerned. I
>love how my pronghorns feel
>like oversized tennis shoes. The
>beartooth look to be all
>leather which may make them
>less flexible and make them
>heavier on the feet?
>
>As an aside, IMO my meindel
>perfects are a totally different
>boot compared to pronghorns. I
>love them but for insulation,
>ankle support, and durability. They
>feel like boots rather than
>shoes.

100% agree... I never said the Pronghorns weren't comfortable. The Perfekts are heavier and more durable... Different, but good.

On another note, have any of you owned the Perfekts and bought other Meindls (such as the Denali's)? I am curious how the other Meindl brands compare...

As I stated earlier I got the perfects for last year...great boots! Got the Denali's Monday and have not taken them off yet! They are at least as comfortable as the Perfect's, I am sure they will be great boots! I will be testing them on the trails w/ pack this weekend.

>As I stated earlier I got
>the perfects for last year...great
>boots! Got the Denali's Monday
>and have not taken them
>off yet! They are at
>least as comfortable as the
>Perfect's, I am sure they
>will be great boots! I
>will be testing them on
>the trails w/ pack this
>weekend.

Let me know how they compare.. I really like my current boots but would be interested in hearing your comparison..

Can do. I will try and do it tomorrow morning, that way you can maybe decide. Cabela's currently has them for $30 off + free shipping!

Denali update....

Maiden voyage after 4 days break in around the office.

5.5 miles of pasture/gravelly rolling hills with 50 pound frame pack+rifle+.44MAG. Total moving weight just under 300 pounds.

The Denali felt very similar to the Perfects! Of course they are a little stiff, but do not notice any initial foot "damage". They are sized exactly as the Perfect's as well. I would say that the FIT IQ footbed is superior to the Perfects cork footbed for bottom of foot comfort.

The only distraction is the noise that eminates from the tongue area. This has been common to all the Meindl's I have had. Good thing is a little boot wax along the outside folds of the tongue make it dissappear.

Overall A+ in my book! Of course they are not Pronghorns, as the Denali's are stiffer by design. If you utilize Prefects, go with the Denali for uninsulated this season1

I did not really want to abandon the Danner line, I was forced to. With a busy hunting schedule nearly every year, I can not take a chance with my boots. I have had 4 pairs of different pronghorns. They all leak to some degree. I have sent them back for replacement , and just got tired of that. My 1000g set is still in use as a stand boot in winter and my 2 uninsulated pairs are for training only. When they get them truly waterproof, and not made in China I would give them another chance....but no way would they replace my Meindl's!

Ordered some last year and returned them. They sure seemed like they would be a great boot, and probably are. Just not with a wide foot! My feet are between a D and EE width. I ordered the 11.5EE and they were entirely too narrow! Other than that, they sure looked and felt like a solid choice, for some serious $. They also garner good reviews in magazines.

"If you utilize Prefects, go with the Denali for uninsulated this season1"

That is exactly what I was thinking; uninsulated! Thanks!

I recently purchased the pronghorn gtx and really like them. I also have a wide foot so i ordered the ee's. They fit like a tennis shoe. Lightweight! After reading these reviews i hope they don't leak.

How long do you have to send them back to Danner for replacement or is it even worth messing with? The pair I have now is getting close to 3 years old I think.

T264

At this point this is just information only. BUT! I have tried various boots, gortex included and when things are really wet, they all leak. I even went to snow packs. When there is stitching involved even they leak. I finally found my solution. I bought a pair of MUCKS and used them all last year. As long as the weather is fairly cold they are great. Absolutely the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. Warm, DRY> DRY< DRY. They slip on easy, provide me with good ankle support, and act as gaters so I don't have to mess with gaters anymore. I might look like a eastern whitetail hunter, but I could care less. Warm Dry Feet, Dry legs, Clean pants around the ankle, Good traction, And Light. I can hike all day and my feet are still comfortable. That's my two cents. Check them out for cold wet conditions.

I agree 100%! The only real way to stay 100% dry is with rubber. But on this particular post, at least by my experience, the Danner (Pronghorn's) are the worst and the Meindl's the best.

I just got my Schnees Beartooth boots in and they are light, built well, and also WAY TOO FREAKIN' SHORT & TIGHT! I ordered the size 12 (which is what I normally wear in D or EE width)and these things fit like a size 11 and maybe a B width. Awesome boots but do not fit my foot. Back to square 1 but thanks for all of the replies.

T264

Except to repeat myself MEINDL! Get some Denali's in 12 EE and you will be set! They are true sized and actually between D and EE according to my feet. If 400 grams of Thinsulate is necessary go with the Perfect's 12 EE. They are a little wider in the EE, but gives you room for socks.

Another vote for Meindls. They have a new model, Ibex, they are uninsulated goretex and like the model(Sitka) they replaced are very comfy. Not as heavy duty as the Denalis. After a pair of the Meindls you will throw away all your Danners. For a heavy duty boot I also have Kenetrek's, uninsulated, and they are great. One of the best for sheep hunters.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

The worst boots I've ever owned are Cabela's/Meindl Perfekt Hikers. I read all the great reviews, but pretty much feel like I flushed $200.00 down the drain.

The denali's have great reviews but several of them say they are a little warm. I live in South Texas where I will mainly be using these boots but also want a boot to use in my out of state hunt, early season hunts. Compared to the Pronghorn, how much warmer are the Denali's? Hell it is 90+ degrees down here in December sometimes!

Thanks

T264

The Denali's are probably 50% warmer/heavier. It is a function of their stability. I personally have been wearing mine all summer in Iowa on bridge construction and never noticed them to be unduly hot and they have not leaked a drop during numerous extended stays in water. That being said, I doubt there is a boot out there that will "match" the Pronghorn for weight/comgort! They are a great boot, but they leak and that is not acceptable in my world.

I decided to try the Lowa Tibet GTX Pro. I will try them out in a couple weeks on a West Texas scouting trip. Thanks for all of the input.

T264

I just got a new pair of the Lowa Tibet boots and have put about 8 or 9 miles on them with a heavy pack. They seem to be extremely well made and surprisingly light. They are not quite as comfortable as the Pronghorns right out of the box but not bad at all and every trip they seem to get more limber. I will say that they are more of a "serious" hiking boot. Thanks for all the input.

T264

t264, I would have recommended the boot you got, the lowas are about the best around. I cant believe no one on here mentioned them to you yet, they can be a bit spendy but they are well worth it. you cant put a price on taking care of your feet,.. well you could, but these are worth it lol

I have a pair of Danner and I send them every Summer to be re-done(leak and re-stitch) and they just send me a new pair instead, I'm on my 3 pair of new boots from them so My $199 boots is still paying off.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Does anybody have any experience with Danner Jackal's by chance. Heard they are pretty awesome, but would like to hear some reviews.

I have three boots I really like now days.

-Asolo fsn 95
-Kenetrek Safari. Non insulated, non gortex
-Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Non insulated.

My fourth pair is an old pair of Danners that have 800 gram insulation. Only use them when it is really cold and wet... which is why they are turning 12 this year.

Hey I just talked to my Dad and he called Danner and they still make boots in the USA. If you go to their website and click on boots then on the features pulldown all the boot that they make in America will come up. FYI

Here is the link to the USA made boots

http://www.danner.com/boots/#features=79

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

I call and talk to them and they tell me to send them in and if they can't fix them they will send me out a new pair. I love their service.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I have all three Meidls. Yeah, I'm a fan. They are all good for different applications, with some overlap.

The perfekts are soft and are great for general hiking. Low rand and not too stiff.

The denalis are a great compromise boot. They do a lot well and fit great. Stiffer than the perfekt. Good for rockier or more mountainous terrain.

The alaska hunters are the most hard core. High rand and very stiff. I wore them on saturday hunting for muleys in the steep, steep stuff in the wasatch range, and I was very glad I had them on.

Choose your own adventure. They are all excellent.

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorn that I've used extensively for 2 seasons now. I use a leather conditioner that is safe on gortex as well and have never had a leakage problem. Before each season I put a good coat on and off we go. I'm not at home and forget the brand of conditioner. I bought it at Cabelas when I got the boots.
I use these boot for deer/elk hunting as well as chuckar/pheasant hunting. I've hiked around all day in the snow and never had a leak. I've crossed streams numerous times and never had a leak. Great pair of boots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom