Davis Wall Tents

HiMtnHntr

Very Active Member
My hunting buddy and I are looking at Davis Wall Tents for some hunts we'd like to go on in the future. The problem is, we don't know squat about wall tents as we've never used them. So, this is directed to those guys who have a lot of experience with wall tents, particularly the Davis Tents, who would know some things to look for when buying. This tent will be use by around 2-4 people comfortably fitting inside with all gear. Thanks for your help!

It would also help to know if you will be driving to your campsite, packing in on horse, what time of year, snow, rain, etc..

I have a 15x21 and we sleep 4 comfortably with all gear, wood stove, small kitchen for an entire week. I have zippered doors at both ends and it is nice to have that option on hot days. Mine does not have windows and the stove opening is out of the top. I also have 6' side walls which is nice, but not absolutely necessary. I wouldn't pack my tent in on horses, it's about 80lbs without poles.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-10 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]For up to four guys you'll want at least a 14x16. I'd also suggest getting a front screen door and at least a rear window for ventilation (I have a rear window and windows on each side of my Davis 14x16). I consider the Colorado door a must have also. My stove jack is in the roof, but if I were doing it again, I'd probably go out of the wall, because it makes it easier to tarp the entire tent and may save you a few burn holes from stray embers (never had a problem yet, knock on wood!). Get yourself a Cylinder Stove, a couple of cots, folding tables, etc. and you'll be set! Great tents!

antelope1.jpg

antelope2.jpg

antelope3.jpg

I just got one in September and I'm loving it. I'm learning that your gonna want some indoor outdoor carpet to lay on the ground inside the tent. I also got two of thier big boy cots and the big wood stove. Mine is 14x17 and so far I've slept up to 3 people in it and can see that it would be easy to sleep 4.
You will need to learn how to use the stove effectively by closing the damper part way and closing the front vent on the stove to make your wood last longer or opening both up some to generate more heat. I was getting up about every two hours during the night to add wood on cold November nights. Hope this helps. fatrooster.

I found that you do not want to pack it up with any moisture on the tent. The water will discolor the fabric. Hang it in your garage and set up a heater after winter time use in snow to dry it out. Here are some water marks.
7037img_1114.jpg

fatrooster.

I would agree with Foremans comments. My 12x16" weighs about 60#
If you are setting up a base camp the aluminum internal frame is sweet. I can set mine up solo in 20 minutes.

For a spike tent you might want to consider the Davis Herder. Mine is good with 3 guys and all of their gear plus small stove.You need a good heavy center pole...

Davis tents always have a spring sale so keep checking their website and don't be slow on the phone they don't last long.
14 x 16 w/stove is ok for 4 guys
If you are camping next to the road, we carry sheets of plywood for the floor with some outdoor carpet on in, works great for keeping down the dirt and mud.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

They're running a show special right now where you can get a 14x16 and their three angle kit for $699.99. Pretty much $200.00 off the regular price, plus you can add what you want. Whereas with their Spring "scratch and dent/one of a kind" sale, they're sold as is and you cannot add any features. Great deals, if you find something that matches what you want.

We just bought a Davis tent this winter at our sportsman show as well. I have several Friends that have Davis tents and they are good quality. If you looking for a light weight easy to set up or use as a back country with horses tent. You can check out the EE tent from Beckel Tents we have used it on drop camps several times and even use it when we are only be camping for a couple of days it weighs about 30 lbs. You can use a stove in it too. But its really only good for 3 people 4 makes it crowded.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Lots of good info already posted, I have the 14X16 Davis, and love it. I would definitely get the screen door and the Colorado door for the front and either an additional door or window for the back. The stove is also a must have. I sleep 4 people in it with no problems. Good luck

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom