Dead dink!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
It had been a few years, tired of tag stew. Nice little Calif forky, mostly blacktail, but muleys also live in the area. I'm pleased.

4049joey_buck_2014_c-4.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

JUDAS!

Look at the Damage!:D

(((RAZZIN Ya Sage!:D)))

Looks to be Fat & Tasty!

Nice Job!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

20 years ago that pic would had revealed the following: one knife, a cold beer, a big 4 point and a younger slimmer face without the cat hairs. Isn't fun getting older Sage. You know what I'm talking about. Like pizzing 3 times a night interrupting your much needed sleep. Erections either lasting all night or not working at all. Sick of seeing progressive liberals changing OUR once great state and country...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-14 AT 07:01AM (MST)[p]Who gives a chit about the horn! Take them back straps cut em a 1/2 thick, pound em with a meat mallet till u can almost see thru em. Dip em in egg then in seasoned flour, fry em in grease! Best cutlets you'll ever eat! Congrats sage!

The horns are interesting. A nice addition to your collection. Symetrical and no brow tines. It would make a nice bleached skull mount and fill in a place on the wall. Glad you are pleased....its a nice feeling.
J_T_B

Good for you Joey, a dandy forkie! Man, I used to have a lot of fun back in the day hunting the C zones, congrats!

There's a reason momma made you eat your vegetables! It works for mule deer too, just ask me how!

Sage, there's some good eating you're holding onto in that picture. Is that one of RELH's purty knives on the counter? no wonder the skinning job looks so good!

Awesome Sage- after your advice I'm ready to hunt and if I see one like that he's going to be freezer space used up!
Congrats I like the curve of those antlers.

Thanks guys! Yes, i used a RELH knife to skin that buck. VERY sharp, very nice!

Though i had my chances, i passed and I didn't shoot a buck last year or the year before that. So now, everything about this buck seemed hard, heavy, and took longer than i thought it should. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Congrats Sage. Boy I would like to be there when you fry up some of those backstraps. That is one good meat deer for our area.

RELH

Guys, i know it ain't much of a buck but i really am thrilled. I'm just not the guy i was. I'm still going to hunt for the better bucks but once in awhile a guy has to say, "screw it", i want something for the freezer.

Speaking of, i just returned from taking him in for processing. After a complete cleaning by me last night, head, legs, n cape off, he was 87 pounds hanging which is better than average for a Blacktail cross from this area. I told them that i want at least half thetotal meat to be ground with a pork butt, Larrbo's recipe, as i truly love a deer meat burger!

For some reason probably connected to my age and condition, i thought he was a lot heavier! lol :) I'm getting to be such a woos!

RELH, Your knife worked like a dream! Thanks!!

Joey

Nice shot placement, good clean skinning job, ready to be hung for a few days in a cooler, then cut up. That going to be a good eating deer.
Plus to (2) fine letter openers and knife sharper steel handles.
Nice job Buddy.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Your post #14 tells me this was one of your better trophies regardless of the antlers or the meat simply because you had to earn it! Congrats!

Joey, congrats on the fine Buck and the future "meals". I saw that knife on the table there and knew it had to be a RELH knife. I just got another one the other day myself, taking it with me next month to Wyo for our Elk hunt.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-14 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]Thank You, very nice words from you guys, i appreciate it very much!

Some might be interested in the story of the rifle that i took this buck with. Back in 1969, in my mid teens, My Rancher-Farmer, Dad's older Brother, Uncle offered me a little hay hauling contract. If i agreed, i was to get $.10 for each and every bale that me and whoever i chose, picked off the field and stacked in the Barns we had. Not good at business, i offered my buddy the job as my helper and being more than fair, offered him half the pay, we each got a nickle a bale.

100 bales in the barn was $5. each. A good day we did 10, 100 bale loads but that was dawn to dusk. The job lasted a couple weeks or so and by the end, i had enough money to go down and order up my first Deer rifle, a Rem 700 ADL in 25-06 and a straight 6 power Redfield widefield scope. Total cost at the time for rifle, mounts and rings, and scope was about $250.

Once i got that rifle dialed in, i became much more proficient at getting the bucks i was after. It seems to me now that very few deer got away if i pulled down on them with that rifle. Back then on that Ranch that i grew up on, there was no such thing as waiting for only broadside shots. We took them as we got them, that rifle just seemed to not have a miss in it whether i was shooting at a blackbird swinging back and forth on top of a mustard plant, shooting a quarter at 100 yards on a bet, or the nitty gritty hard earned better buck. It was a shooter!

Fast forward to when i'm home from college and working a job that paid well. I saw a fancy wood stocked Mark V 257 Weatherby Mag on a store shelf that was (1) absolutely gorgeous, and (2) seemed to me to be mis priced at under $400. The Weatherby went home with me.

Not much after that, Another Uncle that i really liked and hunted deer with a lot, had seen with his own eyes just how good a natural shooter my 25-06 was, offered to buy my rifle, and me thinking that i'm now a Weatherby Man, ignorant as i can be, i sold it to him for what i had paid for it.

Within months, i offered to buy it back. My uncle received my offer as if it were some kind of a joke. The rifle was his now, he loved it too, it was actually one of his prides and joy.

As life is much too short, we were all very saddened to hear that my Uncle had Passed away last year. He was just one of those Guys that everybody liked and going to his service and get-together afterward, i couldn't believe all the people that came or stopped by to pay their respects. Hundreds!

A few months later, My Auntie, My Dads Sister, called to ask if there was anything of Uncle Mikes that i might like to have? You can guess what i mentioned and that ol 25-06, now back again in my hands, is what i took this Buck with this year.

There is a bit more of this rifle's story about getting it ready to hunt with this year, in the Guns, Bows, Firearms Forum. That thread, "25-06 load recommendations?"

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID22/3646.html#.VDBMjRayksw

Joey

Sage...congrats, there are no dinks in Cali...LOL. Just remember, backstraps medium rare.

Glad to see you got your old 25-06 back. Rem M700 are just basic rifles that just shoot much better than they should, hope you get to use it a lot.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

JOEY CONGRATS.........SOUNDS LIKE THAT BUCK IS GOING TO BE A GOOD EATER. I AM A BBQ GUY AT HEART......I WOULD BE HAPPY TOO !!............................YD.

Sorry about your uncle. That is awful cool that you were able to kill that buck with his/ your old rifle. Very cool. That's a pretty good buck for your area. Lots of guys would be thrilled to kill one like that around there. Most only kill the tiny little forkies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom