Decent(realistic)1pt. WY ELK units

N

norcalhntr

Fellas,
I, as probably a few others, negelected to enter the point system when implemented and am behind the eight ball when it comes to non-resident elk points. Are there any realistic,decent odds for fools like me who only have 1 pt. I have never harvested a bull and would love a chance at a bull. Any bull for that matter.
Just looking for a public land,DIY, rifle unit to try to harvest a bull.
Thanks for any help.

bgmhiker- Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance of WY. Will acquiring a general tag require the "burning of points"?
If not, any general tag info you could devulge?
Thanks

hit the draw odds link at the top of the page enter your one point and see what units you can draw. look them up on a topo map and see how much public vs private ,go on the wyoming game fish website and look at the success rates ,the number of tags given out and so on.narrow it down to a few units and start calling game bios for info and looking back through the archives to see what has been said about certain units your looking at. there is a wealth of info out there you just got to dig a little good luck.

Thanks for the tips and your time 36moose. If i research with due diligence and am still needing guidance between a couple of different general hunts, there should be members that would point me in the right direction.

+1 36moose, i don't know that i've ever seen it told better!!!

If i could add to his statement "...and looking back through the archives to see what has been said about certain units your looking at."

I might say; Once you've narrowed down your selections and then find the threads in the archives of your picks, you might want to PM some of the participants in these discussions and see if they are willing to share their findings of the particular unit or have other suggestions. Some will, some won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask and many here will go out of their way to help, especially in a PM! Good luck!! :)

Joey

sageadvice,
Thanks for the info as well. I've noticed from some of your many previous posts that you are from the Chester area. I grew up and went to Greenville High in the early 80's. I'm envious of you as you are in one of the most blessed areas of California. I did not migrate to far and am in Magalia these days. Close, but still not the same as living there.
Hoping to try and harvest a bull sometime soon and do appreciate the honest opinions and suggestions from some of the veterans of this site. I've been lurking on MM for a long time and dont post too often. However, often enough to know folks giving constructive help from the ones who give sarcastic or negative feedback to stir the pot. Thanks again.

norcal, Thank You! I do love it here but as you know, the winters seem to last forever and that part does get a bit old. Welcome to the site and feel free to PM me anytime i might help with whatever. Not much of a Elk hunter, deer are my passion, i'm afraid but i have friends that are. I try to be constructive, at least most of the time, but there is the Devil running about and at times, he gets to the best of us. Good luck in your search!!

Joey

Norcal, the advice to apply/draw the General tag is excellent!!

With one point you may be in the game for years before you draw a great unit. In a general unit you can basically hunt every other year and may get lucky and draw twice in a row. IMO it's as good to learn a unit from multiple trips as it is to draw a better unit you may only hunt once in your life.

I've done both and had great hunts in quality units but I have one state where I can draw every other year and it's as close to a guarentee as any elk hunt. No quality but I'm huntin elk sucessfully every other year.

In fact, once I burn these max points in WY, I'm gonna start applying for the General tag every year. IMO WY has the best quality elk in easy to draw (General) units as any state. I've applied my wife and step-son for WY points and when I burn these points, I'll ride their points for a General tag the next year.

My 2 cents on WY.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom