Decisions, Decisions....

CAelknuts

Well, my son and I each have 13 pronghorn points, I've got 11 elk points and he's back up to 6 elk points. I'm trying to figure out what to apply us each for, and it's complicated by the fact that I'm taking my family to South Africa this summer for two weeks. This is gonna be a tougher decision than most years. I'd love to apply myself for the unit 9 muzzy tag, but I know that's a waste of time as those two non-rez tags are gonna go to max points guys with more points than I have. I'm thinking that unit 9 archery is unlikely as well, but it looks like unit 10 archery might be in reach, as well as 3A/3C archery. As for son, he's just getting bonus points, at least for elk. The other thing that complicates it for me is that I have max points for deer, and will be applying for 13A&B till I draw a tag. I really don't want that deer tag and an AZ elk tag in the same year, as goofy as that might sound.

What would you guys do? We've already got our licenses, just trying to decide what to apply for.

With this early elk draw, you can try for the unit you really want and if you do not draw, you have a shot for your deer tag. If you do get the elk hunt, just put in for a bonus point with the deer draw.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-09 AT 11:32PM (MST)[p]Don't worry about drawing an early bull tag with those points, unless you are a resident..If you are, you're crazy if you aren't applying for early bull.

If you're in the max bonus point pool for deer, and applying for 13A and 13B, look out! You're in the "game".

I'm thinking you're getting close with those antelope points, though my buddy, who is a resident has 18 and can't get drawn!

Good luck!

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-09 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]Thanks Don, you're pretty much confirming what my thinking is.

I'm a non-res, so the elk isn't a sure thing, and I pretty much only apply for archery elk, usually in 9, but have applied for a few other units from time to time. When 9 mussy has been offered, I've applied but never drawn it and with the current system, know that my points aren't going to get me that tag this time. Problem is, I've drawn 9 before and want to experience that again. I've heard great things about some of the other units like 1, 3a/3c, 8, 10 and I've hunted with son and a friend who drew 5Bsouth, and 22S, and while those were very nice hunts, I'm not burning all those elk points to hunt in 5BS or 22. Maybe 3a/3c, 1, 8 or 10, but am wondering if I should really hold out for 9 since I've got to be getting close to the top for non-res archery. I really don't mind waiting another 3 or 4 years if that's all it'll take.

Regarding the deer, yeah I have max points, and expect that I'll be making my one and only hunt on the strip sometime in the next 4-6 years, and I'm willing to wait to do it once. Those are the only two units I apply for, ever.

With antelope, I don't know what to think. I know we'll each draw eventually, but see guys with 19 & 20 points ahead of us, and with so few non-res tags I know that might be a very long wait still.

I'm just trying to figure out how I want to approach this since I've put in a lot of years building these points for myself and my son and want to do it right when we do eventually draw. We're not in a hurry to hunt, but want to make the trips special when we do draw these tags. I really don't want us to draw more than a tag or two in any year, as I know we'll eventually draw all these tags, unlike sheep where we're still long shots even with 13 points.

CAelknuts I know of two non-res hunters drew sheep tags this year. The non-res who drew a tag in 45b had NO POINTS. The other non-res who drew a tag in 44bn had three points. So hang in there on the sheep you could get drawn any year now.

Oh, don't worry mesquite, I'll be applying for sheep till I can no longer hunt, or till I draw that tag. I apply for myself and my son for sheep in 6 or 7 states every year. We'll both be applying in all those states till we draw the tags....or die.

The only hunt you have a real good shot at is the max point strip tag. The others are pretty iffy still as a non-resident. The great thing is that arizona deer draw isn't until june. So go with an elk tag you want to hunt, if you get drawn, then points for deer. You likely won't draw antelope or sheep.

T

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom