Decisions!

Muleydeer

Always been one to try and find the biggest deer Possibie like everyone else, as a Utah resident on the general season archery i have taken two deer in the last 10 years, not from a lack of opportunity but size, even some good ones, my question is, have i been doing it all wrong, how many bucks have i passed that made a good story, how many tags have went to the garbage can that could have been a memory, maybe I’m getting old but seems like i need to start enjoying it more, especially with kids along for the ride!

If you are questioning your harvest decisions then maybe a change is in order. We all have our own measures for success and a good time. In my opinion, hunting should always be fun and fulfilling, regardless of what happens with the tag. If one of those things is not happening, I'd change it up.

A few years ago I had been hunting for 4 or 5 days and finally saw a 4 point, first buck of the hunt. He was not a buck I said I would have shot before the hunt. I said I wasn't going to shoot him when I first saw him. He started getting away and I could feel the regret building. I finally decided I'd lay down and get a shot I got so excited I got a little buck fever. I shot him. He wasn't the biggest, but he made me happy. I think if you get a little excited and it makes you happy you should shoot.

Maybe 170 plus only used to make you excited. Maybe 150 plus makes you excited now. If 150 or just a 3 point does it for you, and you can go home with a smile on your face then shoot it.

If you have kids along, involve them in the decision-making process. But, I would lean towards taking the shot to make it a successful hunt. Not saying shoot the first spike that walks by, but the memory you make field dressing and dragging or packing out a deer with your kids will be worth it.

Growing up, my family used to hunt some private land in Summit County. Land that produced some really good deer for various family members over the years. I tagged along with my dad every year after about age 9 or 10. He killed a deer every year pretty much. Never held out for bigger bucks. He regularly killed bucks with me by his side. It literally fueled my love for deer hunting... There is incredible value in the harvest.

Laugh all you want…but on an archery hunt I once shot a camp spike buck. You know, those dumb baby bucks that hang around your camp. My son was with me and begged me to shoot it. He had never seen a big game animal harvested. I relented. Glad I did. The excitement on his face when that buck took off in a big circle around camp after I shot it and came running right at us then cartwheeling to it’s death almost at our feet was priceless. My son came and high-fived me and hugged me. He was so excited.
Two days later I killed my first archery elk with him by my side, too. Quite a weekend.

Like most have said depends who you are hunting with and the tag in the pocket.
I shot a buck a couple seasons ago with my son that was not huge but we had hiked in 3hrs before light and I killed it for the experience with him. It was an area that my family has hunted a lot in the past. We spent the morning boning out the buck on the mountain and just enjoyed the time together. Heck of a pack out.
The year before that I passed on small buck out of state with him and my dad. He and my dad had already tagged out on good bucks and wanted me to shoot a small fork. It was the last day and I passed. Told him it’s not always about the kill and that the trip was great. Now if it was one of his younger siblings I might have shot it if it was their 1st trip.
I think part of the overall experience is the skinning , packing, butchering and eating the animal. Got to put it on the ground in order to do that part

Laugh all you want…but on an archery hunt I once shot a camp spike buck. You know, those dumb baby bucks that hang around your camp. My son was with me and begged me to shoot it. He had never seen a big game animal harvested. I relented. Glad I did. The excitement on his face when that buck took off in a big circle around camp after I shot it and came running right at us then cartwheeling to it’s death almost at our feet was priceless. My son came and high-fived me and hugged me. He was so excited.
Two days later I killed my first archery elk with him by my side, too. Quite a weekend.
Awesome story!

One of my most memorable and fun hunts I have ever had is when I killed the smallest deer I’ve ever killed (Bessy would be mad at me!), but my three daughters were all there with me.

It’s something I’ll never forget. And that feeling isn’t replicated by any amount of inches if the girls wouldn’t have been there. Sure I’d like to kill a 200” buck, but if I ever do, it won’t mean more to me than that experience, I promise you that.

Hunt for the reasons that bring YOU enjoyment. If you want to focus on bigger deer and end up killing less, that’s totally fine. I have passed many, many deer in my life and I’ve eaten tag soup way more times than I’ve killed. If you want to kill the first legal buck you see, by all means, do it! I’ve done that before too and had a great time along the way. Nobody can tell you that you should do otherwise. As long as it is within the rules, do what makes you happy. Hunting is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not defined by anyone else’s measure of “success.”

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom