Deer 21 or 30

arnold_jeremiah

Hey guys Ive been trying to figure out what to do for a few weeks now. I have enough points to draw 30 for sure or possibly 21. The success rates are good in both except 30 was way lower than normal last year. Im just wanting a fun hunt where I will see alot of bucks compared to what im use to east of the divide. I know both units can also produce bigger bucks if I get lucky. Those of you who have hunted both is 21 really worth possibly waiting another year? Also im going to apply for 2nd season if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help.

I sure as hell wouldn't wait for a 2nd season 21 tag. Doesn't take much to beat 21 and 30 is a good choice.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Had some friends hunt unit 30 two years ago and they said it sucked. They could have killed a few small ones but were disappointed with the amount of deer seen. Game warden told them the unit had really gone down hill. I would go for unit 21.

neither go somewhere else. both have gone downhill and if I had the points I would go somewhere else. these two use to consistantly produce good bucks but its been tough the last 4-5 years. just my thoughts. good luck in the draws and happy hunting everyone.

My brother I drew unit 30 NR 3rd season last year. Pre-scouted 6 day's before the opener. Found 2 170 class bucks on private land. Landowner's son killed one and he then gave us permission to go after the other one. Couldn't locate him again. I spotted a upper 160's buck opening morning just as it was breaking daylight, no shot. Found the same buck again on day 3 and killed him, massive body, good antler mass, left antler damaged in velvet which gave him a different look which I liked. Received info from a hunter guiding his daughter after she was successful on a 150's buck on the location of a good buck spotted during archery season. Didn't turn that buck up either after 3 trips into that canyon.

Private landowner and game warden we talked to also echoed what the previous poster said above. 30 is not what it use to be. Fair amount of elk hunter's also in the area. Everyone said, need weather in 21 to move them south into 30. We did see a fair amount of small bucks though. Hope this help's on your decision? Good Luck!

I appreciate everyone helping out with my decision. It sucks that both of these units sound bad. Im just trying to get why they are so bad. 21 had 91% success 2nd season last year all bucks. Are they just all small or what? Also open to suggestions now since my research is not looking good. Im looking at 2nd and 4th seasons with 3 points I would like to use this year if possible. I have all the units I can draw in a pdf if someone who knows more would like to look at them and point me in the right direction. Im just wanting a unit with alot of bucks to look at. I could care less about score.

I second jd332001, both units are wayyyy down from what they used to be. I had a second season tag in 21 back in 09 and it was a major let down to say the least... hunted my butt off and killed the best buck I laid eyes on the second to last day (8 total days of hunting) and he grossed 172. If quantity over quality is more important to you 21 might be right up your alley. I won't be going back anytime soon.....

Coloradoboy

I couldn't agree more on 21. You can read my 3rd season post on Unit 21, took my 12 resident pts. I shot a dandy buck, but he was the only one I found in a full 7 days of hunting, with several groups of guys out scouting the entire unit. I do not know how anyone kills a deer in there in 2nd season. The terrain is would be impossible to find them if the rut wasn't on and they were out in the open being stupid.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom