Deer 61

B

buckbuster64

Going to burn 10 pts next year (thrid season in 61),hope the winter isn't to bad????????????Going to get me a Boone&Crocket Buck(i hope)...Am i right or wrong?

I didn't hear any good reports from this year and I hunted 62 this year for the 3rd season and I wasn't impressed. I have had better hunts in leftover units with 1/4 of the land and 4 times as many people. Maybe just a fluke year but the plateau doesn't have me waiting in line to come back.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I hope to draw out a bull tag in 61 next year. I drew a 2nd season buck tag there this fall and was not impressed with the quality or quantity of bucks that I saw. If Mother Nature had brough me some cold and snow it might have been different.

Thanks for the input,but i hope it was just a fluke year.By the way(good ouote)

Yea i think the weather has a lot to do with it.Last few years,to hot &game were scatterd everywhere.Thuught about saveing pt's for 4th season,but not getting any younger.

I hunted 62 in '08, and agree with others, I'd rather been on the 2nd choice hunt I normally draw.

I think Archery/muzzy is the way to hunt 61, just my opinion.

Yea,but i know for a fact if it is right you can kill the buck of a life time.In the late 80's early 90,s went there to scout(heard about some monster bucks seen in that unit),we were hunting unit 65 at the time.I saw (public land) two of the biggest bucks i have ever seen & i have been hunting all over Colo since 1980.I have seen t-shirt weather & snow above your boot tops.I still think it,s the right place just don,t know if it is the right time????????????????

Sounds like your mind is made up. Keep in mind things change in 20 years. Good luck with whatever decision you make. I have 10 deer points also. I would not use them on 61 based on what I saw this year and reports from others here. Cedar

Thanks man i need all the luck i can muster,and good luck to you in up coming year also.

BB64,
I'm planning on hunting 61 for elk this coming year second season. If I draw, 7 points res, I will send you some info between seasons before you get there. I have a friend that tagged a 200" buck there two yrs ago. Like Bean said though, I will not be burning my deer points there based on what I saw there last time I hunted the unit. They are there, but takes a lot of hard work and some good luck mixed in as well. Happy New Year to all.
peanut

I had a second season tag this last year....and it sucked i wouldn't waste 1 point on that unit....And why would you waste 10 points you can draw a third season tag with 3 even 2...The deer population is horrible...One reason is that they had a lion study for last 5 years in there..So the lions had it easy and they opened back up to hunting this year with a 8 lion quota.. There are a lot better units in the state...

Hey thanks man,least their are some hunters left who don,t mind the effort.Maybe i can return the favor some day...........Thinks Rick

You are correct in thinking you can kill a whopper in 61.. I can guarantee you their is several bucks of a lifetime on that unit.

Did I mention that muzzy season would be the way to hunt 61..?

There are whoppers in many Co units! Killing one is another story! One factor in units 61 and 62 is the fact that they did a mt.lion study for years not letting anyone kill cats that puts a big hurt on deer numbers and big bucks. Best of luck but i wouldn't recommend that unit for your quest.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Burned 15 points 4th season on 61 in 2008. Could not believe the lack of numbers.... short hunt seem maybe 12 bucks total....did see alot of lion tracks.... lucky to get what i did i suppose..... if had it to do again would of done something different.... most deer are on private propery or in town....

Thanks man,i don,t know what CDOW is thinking about they designed these Trophy units so you have a chanch to kill something big and then blow it with a stupid lion study.I can only hope they don;t blow it like Calif. did they have no deer left to speak of,but lots loin&bear.

I hunted 61 three years ago for elk and seen alot of nice bucks, it was hot and dry. The guy that I was with lives in nucula, he was saying that the late hunt , the deer do end up on mostly private land. I did see two lions going after some elk. In just a couple of years with the deer population dropping so much ,I would say it was the winter kill from a few years back not the lions , Dont get me wrong a dead lion is a good lion.I have 15 deer pionts and I will be sitting on them for a few more years until things look better. Now the elk Why is every one so interrested in this unit. I have hunted it 2 times for bulls in the last 10 years , my first time I drew 1st season with 4 points as a n.r. now with this unit taking so many pionts to draw and the quilty not being in my eyes as a trophy hunt, yes there are some good numbers of elk but bulls over 330 are few and far between lots of 290 -300 class. There are a few tag pimps that way over talk this unit so they can cash in on big money, but to each is there own I guess.Just my input

Thats what we need good honest input into these so called trophy units.I know you can luck out and kill a gaint in about any unit in the state,but these units were set aside to special units,(not for your go every year guy) and get something decent the way it used to be..Thanks

Anybody have any thoughts on a 61 archery deer tag? I'm kinda in mid range no mans land with 5 ponts and I want to hunt this year.

No,i have enough problems trys to hit something with a rifle much-less a bow....good luck

Any comments on the archery deer hunt in 61? I'm in no mans land with 5 points and I want to hunt this year (bow only).

good deer hunting better elk hunting, I spend alot of time in 61 and see some great bucks while messing with elk.if you do your homework and put in the time this can be a great hunt.

Thanks man,i plan to do a lot of scouting & planning.I know it,s a great unit to hunt,just woried about the loin population.

You might look into unit 10 lots of nice bucks .They run tall but not too wide you could score a very good buck but a B&C may be hard to do.The best of the best get picked off by poachers up there it is some very remote country in the winter and those SOB's are hard to catch.Its big open country and you will see LOTS of bucks to hunt.good luck have fun

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom