deer 80/81

smitty

Very Active Member
I got lucky and drew this tag, 3rd season. It'll be my first year ever hunting Colorado.

Been doing some Google Earth scouting so far. Wondering if it's best to stay in town or have a camp up higher. I plan on hunting the latter part of the hunt, hunt dates are November 5-13. I'm going later hoping for some snow and hoping also for less pressure.

I'll also get ONYX maps so I know boundaries.

What kind of bucks should I expect to see in this unit? I decided to burn my points as we are planning on archery hunting the high country from now on.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I can return the favor as well.

Thanks

Nice 4 Pts, in the 160 to possible 180ish are possible down there. Hunted it a couple of times. You should have a good hunt. Good Dates this year. Good Luck!

Smitty, I've elk hunted these units for the past 11 years. The first years I seen some very nice muleis in the Pinos creek area, but haven't seen so many the last few years, but I haven't hunted the Pinos creek area in awhile either.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-16 AT 08:36AM (MST)[p]>Kenny
>What areas are you elk hunting
>there lately?

Mainly south of Summitville and the Platoro Reservoir area.

The best advice I could give is if you're not seeing game or fresh sign then don't dwell in that area too long, keep moving. Its not uncommon for us to travel 8 t 10 miles a day until we find the elk.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom