deer committee meeting

coyoteslayer

I have heard there is a deer committee meeting today to discuss making new limited entry deer units. If so, I would sure like to know who was invited and what was discussed.

>I have heard there is a
>deer committee meeting today to
>discuss making new limited entry
>deer units. If so,
>I would sure like to
>know who was invited and
>what was discussed.

There is/was no Deer Committee meeting today. In fact, the Deer Committee held their final meeting on Sep 16th and we're now awaiting the final draft of the Mule Deer Plan so that we can vote on it through emails.

What you probably heard is about the Wildlife Board meeting that took place this morning at 9:00 and one of the informational items (not an action item) discussed was the proposed creation of a Mineral Mountain Limited Entry Unit which went to the Deer Committee for a recommendation prior to going through the RAC and Wildlife Board system. The Mule Deer Committee could not make a recommendation either way because we didn't have enough info at the time about the area boundary nor the number of permits involved, but there were more definite "NO's" (UWC included) than "YES'es" when a consensus was asked for. And at the Wildlife Board meeting the DWR did not recommend that proposal based on a petition circulated by the Milford Wildlife Association signed by 1,000+ local hunters (I understood it to be over 3,000 but I may be wrong.) and per the Mule Deer Committee survey that shows a substantial support for the numbers of LE units to remain as is, plus, per DWR calculations, it would likely cut in half the number of permits for the area involved. Normally, the audience is not allowed to comment on an informational item at the Board meeting, but the Board allowed Ryan Thompson, a representative from the Milford Wildlife Association a chance to explain and comment on the petition and he, of course, didn't recommend it either. So, for now, the issue of additional LE units isn't a concern. However, you can be sure it isn't dead. If not Mineral Mountain, it'll be Pine Valley or Monroe Mountain or Zion or ?????

I feel it would be better for the deer herds and for hunter quality to increase the buck to doe ratio statewide to 25 bucks per 100 does!

I agree, that if the deer herd would be increased and raise the buck to doe ratio to 25 in each area, a quality hunt could happen. Has any of the units not making the buck to doe ratio been reduced in tags? It seems like all hunters on this site seem to think deer numbers are down, so just wondering what are the steps to increase?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-14 AT 12:48PM (MST)[p]>I feel it would be better
>for the deer herds and
>for hunter quality to increase
>the buck to doe ratio
>statewide to 25 bucks per
>100 does!

And that would make EVERY unit an official Limited Entry unit (Greg Sheehan said they are already limited entry.) and cut the number of permits in half. So it could, indeed, be a "quality" hunt for about 1/3 of the applicants, but a "no" hunt for the rest. And it would increase the odds to a 3 to 5 year wait and require an increase in the price (double, at least) and it would generate more conservation permits for SFW, MDF, etc. But, it would NOT increase the herd populations because there would not be any more does being bred than there is now with a 15/100 b/d ratio. In fact, there may be fewer does bred because there would be fewer does around, due to the competition for winter range.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom