Deer habitat restoration

D

davebda

Any of you California deer hunters volunteer your time to help the deer herds? Want to feel like you are making a difference? For several years now, I have been conducting a wildlife habitat project in northern California. Most of the funding comes out of my pocket but I am also getting some funding from USFWS and the DFG has entered my project into the PLM program. You can see details of my project at
Coon Camp Springs
Most of the labor is provided by volunteers of the hunting and fishing communities. I have several group gatherings during the year and we work on various projects, along with target practicing, eating good food, drinking good booze, whacking a few coyotes and making new friends.
Our next work weekend is over the Memorial Day weekend. So far we have 10 people confirmed to come up and help out. Our main project this year is the fencing off of an Aspen grove. Once fenced off, we will clear out the invasive species and promote propagation. Aspens are a food source for deer that is rapidly disappearing.
We are also working on several other projects.
Check us out. Come on up and join in.

What a neat project. And what a lot of work. It's shaping up to be a model for what can happen. We need a hundred more just like that.

Is this a private ranch? I assume it will allow hunting since you are receiving PLM support?

I hope your project receives lots of attention from mule deer States throught the entire West!

Steve

Thanks for the good words Steve. Yes, it is private property. It has been in the family since the 20's. The family has grown and spread so nobody uses it anymore. I convinced them to turn it into a refuge for the wildlife and they are 100% behind me.

It is a long haul, but between the DFG, BLM, USFWS and lots of volunteers from the hunting and fishing communities, we are making progress.

We are already seeing lots of improvements. The deer are staying on the property all winter instead of migrating. There is food for them to survive on. More and more ducks are nesting on the property each year. Even this year which has seen a pitiful level of precip. The rabbits, quail, doves, squirrels and other small wildlife are also increasing.

So, we are on the right track. It just takes a lot of cash and a lot of labor to get things done. That is why I posted here to see if members might like to join in.

you really want to help Calis deer heards shoot I mean make it legal to shoot mt. lions...otherwise your just raising deer for big kats

So Manny, you are saying that due to the fact that the Mountain Lions are killing deer and we can not shoot the Mountain Lions then we shouldn't do anything to help the deer herd. What kind of logic is that? I agree we need to get the Mountain Lion law changed. But I totally disagree with your logic. Thats like going out into your garden and seeing that the snails are eating some of your vegetables and deciding to just give up on the rest of the garden. Poor logic in my opinion.

Here is that pest again, lol. Sorry, but I am still trying to get next weekend planned out. So far these are the confirmations we have:

Paul and maybe Trudy Friday through ?
Dave Friday through Wednesday
Bob Friday through Wednesday
Kenny and Zigi and ? ? through ?
Peggy Sunday through Wednesday
Randall, son and friend Saturday through Monday

Come on you "maybes". Lets firm it up so that I can put the menu together.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom