Deer is terrible

You should try living in Oregon! Deer will be extinct in some units in my kids lifetime here. It's amazing how bad of trouble Mule Deer are in across the west.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 00:06?AM (MST)

We had lunch in Preston. Three locals there told us they couldn't find any bucks so they let their kids shoot does to ?fill the freezer?. Judas man. I'm just going to get a side hustle and buy landowner tags.

I'm done hunting the areas that get managed with this mindset. I found a 120? 4x4 and I wanted to let one fly so bad just to pull the trigger but I felt guilty because he was the only DEER in a 5 mile radius. I let him go and the deer gods let loose a song dog at 150 yards so I at least got to pull the trigger and drop a carbon based life form without all the guilt (and packing).

Honestly I hate when guys cry and moan because I'm in the try harder, glass longer, get far from the truck crowd but when the moose herd is in the toilet and you see more moose than mule deer then something has to give.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd!?

www.s2outdoor.com
www.tojagrid.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8iBAgry-KrH49Tua4ftbA

It is really bad here in Utah. I saw 145 does and 1 buck in 4 days of hunting. I shot the buck, which very well could have been the last buck in the area. They need to change the management big time.

Washington is right there with all of the Western States. Predator management is the key. Hard to do without hound hunting.

3 of the 5 geographic areas I hunt for deer have seen a rapid decrease in population in the last 3 years. Except one area, it had a die off 10 years ago and it hasn't bounced back. 1 hunt has remained decent.

Kills me to see there are still unregulated OTC hunts on top of doe tags.

Ever since I started hunting, mule deer populations seemed to have been dropping, now they are rapidly dropping and heading in the direction of extinction. We are the main driver.

>It is really bad here in
>Utah. I saw 145 does
>and 1 buck in 4
>days of hunting. I shot
>the buck, which very well
>could have been the last
>buck in the area. They
>need to change the management
>big time.

Sounds like you're pretty concerned seeing as how you adjusted your own self restraint.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 05:47?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-19 AT 05:44?PM (MST)

Friend of mine was hunting in Idaho this year and reported back what he saw.......bumper-to-bumper 4-wheelers. More motorized vehicles than deer.

Once prime deer country is so cut up by tire tracks the deer have gone to rougher areas. We will not even bother to go to some units because of those people who are in such bad physical condition they can't get off their 4-wheelers for more than 10 yards. We've found motorcycle tracks in wilderness areas. The clowns can't even read a map. Once a 4-wheel track or a motorcycle track goes in there the next clown takes it a little farther.

But.....there still is good adventure out there.

After his last trip my son reported that the deer tracks in the snow began above where the elk tracks ended on the side of the mountains. At night when he heard the steps of an animal closing towards his one man tent, a wolf left it's shadow as it past between his tent and the moon, it stopped, let out a low growl, and then padded off into the night.

Thirty minutes later a bull elk bugled some 50 yards from the tent and another answered farther away. The distant bull bugled and closed until there was a clash of antlers and the cows in the herd mewed as the fight went on. When the fight ended there was a 10 minute silent period and then an explosion of hoof-beats as the whole herd ran off.

Did the wolf come back? Did they smell my son and decide to get the heck out of there?

After the remainder of a sleepless night he marveled at how the wolf tracks were so much bigger than the elk tracks.

The following day he meet two young men that had horse-packed into the area for the first time (my son had hiked the nine miles) and assisted them with finding two nice 4-point bucks at over 9400' elevation.

Many years ago years ago I accidently hit myself on the head with a hammer while using it overhead. My fathers response? "Son, you gotta be smarter than the tools you are working with."

You just gotta be smarter than the deer. Oh, and be in good physical condition. The good old days are gone. We better get used to it.

Oh, and I did meet the IDAHO RESIDENT that told me, "When I was younger, me and my friends would kill 10 or 11 deer a year. Now the Californians have come in and killed them all." ????????

I don't deer hunt anymore because I just can't even think of killing another Mule Deer as low as the numbers are. It amazes me that hunters are still willing to hunt and kill them, some guys kill 3 or 4 a year or more WTH???

I guess I finally woke up and realized we can't spare one buck anymore with the numbers at such a rapid decline! Like one of the other posts said one day Mule Deer will be near extinction if not extinct???

SUPER SAD!

Get out there and fill those elk tags, guys and gals. The Mule deer sure are in trouble and although we can't always change our home-states management plans for deer, we sure can put a hurt on one of our beloved Mulies biggest competitors.

Go get ?em. Best of luck on hour hunts.

Im not a biologist and I certainly don't claim to have all the answers but I really don't think Elk are a primary cause for the decline in mule deer. I know elk compete with muleys for resources but to what degree??? I don't know. What really bothers me is that we are seeing declines of mule deer across the west, even in areas that don't have high numbers of elk. The way I see it elk are a secondary issue. Sure, hunt them, they are awesome table fare. The bigger issues for deer are massive loss of habitat and winter range, predators out of balance, poor management, improved weapons, pisscutter/shin head shooting to fill the freezer and changes to range management just to name a few.

Ut gen season I hunted hard for 7 days. I seen 21 deer total! middle of the week I did a 12 mile hike in the best stuff I could find I seen 4 deer tracks never seen a deer. Ut is done getting my non res money!!!

37205hornkiller.jpg

Huh, ya I'm surprised any nonresident would touch Utah right now. Other then a few premium units or premium private Utah deer numbers are pathetic. Much better states to spend your money in. Although the state directly to the East is about to royally ?F? there bucks up. If wildlife officials continue to kid themselves about mule deer, we won't have many left. Hunters, predators and the weather effect mule deer more than anything else. We can control 2 out of 3 of those things, but we don't.

In ID right now. Never got above freezing yesterday, good conditions. I've seen more bull Moose than Mule Deer bucks. Saw a lion mid-day...

Hey, yall remember that guy Tristate that used to come around here and tell yall how bad the future was and what yall were doing wrong?

Everyone needs to send an email to Idaho fish and game and tell them NO more youth doe hunts. Any youth can kill a buck or doe. Real Populations are way below objectives.
We have a large ranch. Hunted for over 30 years Idaho public and private. Deer numbers are as bad as I've seen in 20 years.
We need to kill more predators and have some good winters.

Think of the posterity of a great grandmother. Multiple that by 10 for a doe deer since they often have twins, and their female fawns have twins. If they don't make changes mule deer populations especially in Idaho will plummet even more.

Why would you issue doe tags anywhere? Not a region in the west that can justify shooting mule deer doe?s right now. I Agree, a string of average winters and get to work on predators would get us headed in the right direction.

Colorado is getting ugly.... spent 7 days in country I've spent my entire life in and could hardly turn up a deer. Only seen one mature buck on day 6.

Coloradoboy

>Probably because there are a lot
>of does there. Just an
>idea.

Umm no there isn't, you should check it out, just an idea

Colorado is getting ugly for sure. I made 4 scouting trips and hunted for 5 days and never did see a mature buck. For 3 days of the hunt I didn't even see a deer. No fresh tracks and no fresh sign. Now they are pushing the dates back later in November. It's sad to see.

I have property in 55 and am up there regularly. I have spent the whole month up there hunting and have seen deer everywhere.

>Why would you issue doe tags
>anywhere? Not a region in
>the west that can justify
>shooting mule deer doe?s right
>now. I Agree, a string
>of average winters and get
>to work on predators would
>get us headed in the
>right direction.

I wish they would issue ?city? does tags. I am fortunate that it seems the place I hunt has not been as bad as others experience.

But I believe a large portion of the problem in the areas I do hunt, for a lack of deer compared to the past is loss of winter range. With that being said, in those areas we are getting more and more ?city deer?. Those deer love in the winter range all year in many cases and it has an affect on the mountain deer due to the carrying capacity of the more restricted winter range.

I completely agree with predator management as and issue and we have had some higher winter kill as well.

Deer everywhere ? That's awesome, I bowhunted it the last three years but not this year do to commitments to another hunt, glad to hear they multiplied over the past year, this is good news

Bingo!!! I was just talking about that with an MDF buddy about this. Biggest correlation do declining deer has been increasing elk. Now one could argue correlation and causation and maybe is habitat management that lead to each and the semantics could be argued at length but the numbers are there.

no doe hunts and only 2pt for 17 and under and 65 and older, its the only way to get the population back and get a few more older bucks for breeding. young bucks dont breed healthy young. My son had a limited draw hunt this year in Idaho and passed a mature buck the first morning and we never found another one all week. He was ok with tag soup so if a young man is ok with tsoup why can't the guys in the 70,000 truck and sidebysides. not like they need the meat.

Sounds like Idaho should do away with the buy a second tag. They did for nonresidents which I agree with. But they may want to do away with 2 tags completely. They will have to find a way to replace the revenue that comes off the second tag option. Which would then have to lead to a tag increase. I wonder how many people are going to be in favor of a resident price increase though. Idaho is a beautiful state, but with out big game the land just becomes real estate.

"We don't have a gun problem we have prescription drug problem."

I agree with getting rid of the 2 tag deal. How about Idaho gets rid of non-resident hunters and in order to qualify for residency you have to live in Idaho for a minimum of 10 years. That should help a bunch.

It would appear, that based upon numerous G&F agencies ignoring the deer numbers declining is in line with what???? The greenies! Who do you think makes up some of the employees with G&F.....who also have to act in line with the lefty upper level political officials. Trickle down effect. Here in CA, you can still get two deer tags a year!!! Thats right!

Ironic that once numbers get so low, hunts will not be necessary, darn....back to nature and no need for human management. Predators will control the numbers....win for the greenies....hunting stopped.

It seems the politics that make the policies might be at work here, in more way than one...

That's a stellar idea!!! So where exactly are you going to make up the lost revenue? It's almost $500 / deer for non residents, let me guess, your gonna guide doe hunts, but only in October cause they leave after that

We could tax all of the Californians that are moving here. Obviously you are a moron. I was not being serious, I know that they will never get rid of non-resident hunters. My point was if the deer numbers are down then they can't have as many hunters. Unfortunately that is fact.

There is no doubt Idaho is getting pounded by non-residents. Tags are harder to get in every western state. So more people are resorting to Idaho. There are a lot of people on social networks saying if you don't draw at tag, go hunt Idaho. Maybe possibly lowering quotas on GS tags would work. Sending all units to a controlled status is another way, I'm sure huge opposition would result this way. A large price increase would come with that. 10 yrs for residency you could kiss the hunting way of life goodbye for Idaho. You would lose a lot of interest in hunting. And it would be very easy to get a more liberal stance on political decisions in Idaho. Are Idaho's residents getting a hold of their politicians expressing this concern. Are they going to wildlife board meetings and expressing these concerns. Does idaho have any laws on long range hunting. There is no doubt this style of hunting with any weapon is making humans more efficient. Hopefully Idaho hunters can get their deer herds back where they want them. Mule deer herds are tough to manage. On one side of the fence we have guys wanting to hunt quality. On the other side you have opportunity. I'm content in utah not drawing a tag every year for quality. I can go with a friend and help them if I want to watch a deer or elk get whacked.

"We don't have a gun problem we have prescription drug problem."

The unfortunate fact is you are full of it, there isn't does everywhere in 55 and responses to this post make you like an idiot

Maybe you and I are looking in different parts of the unit? I know most people hunt mt harrison and independence. I am fortunate enough to spend alot of time in many other parts of 55 and my experience is there are lots of deer. Not sure where you are looking.

I feel predator control would be good to ramp up, but I also wish we wouldn't hit so many of these animals with our cars. I live in an area in Utah that kills their fair share of animals on the roads. Last year during the winter(I know this because my friend lives next to the man that picks up the road kill) they picked up over 1,500 dead deer on the road that is about 30-40 miles long. I wish we could figure out a solution to get the deer across the road without killing them. I bet the population would do a ton better with 1,000 more does with fawns inside them alive versus dead.

Snowmageddon, as a local Idaho news reporter named it, winter of 2016/17 did a number on NW herds. Could take a long time to recover from that. Hope we don't get another brutal winter anytime soon. Last year was pretty mild. I'm with the No Doe tag mentality.

Problems with deer recruitment, the 3 C's.
Cougars
Coyotes
Cars.

How many ranchers who want to expand their herd size and make more money kill off mother cows??? Killing does in struggling deer herds is crazy just to give kids a chance to shoot something.

We have no control over weather. Lets try to control what we can.

I know that fawn survival rate is not 100% and I know all babies are not does but let me tell you about ranchers. You have 100 cows and 100 acres. Breed all your cows and they have calves. Year 2 you have 200 cows and 100 acres. Year 3 400 cows and 100 acres. You can see how this works. Eventually you have to thin the cows from the herd or they all starve to death.

>I know that fawn survival rate
>is not 100% and I
>know all babies are not
>does but let me tell
>you about ranchers. You have
>100 cows and 100 acres.
>Breed all your cows and
>they have calves. Year 2
>you have 200 cows and
>100 acres. Year 3 400
>cows and 100 acres. You
>can see how this works.
>Eventually you have to thin
>the cows from the herd
>or they all starve to
>death.

Sounds about right. But you need to replace 100 cows with 2 cows.

Eventually the numbers will get high. My point is that no doe hunts are not the answer. You have to balance the entire thing which is impossible. Between nature and making humans happy it can't be done. Someone will feel wronged no matter what. My family eats what we shoot. I dont trophy hunt and others do. That is ok. We just need a balance. Everyone wants 180 inch bucks in every unit all the time. Not going to happen. Sorry but that is a fact.

I get the point your trying to make, the real fact is that the carrying capacity can handle all of those does/fawns, guarantee your not finding deer starved to death.

BS! Stop killing doe?s when the numbers are down. Absolutely BS! If you have an excess then ok, but mule deer are far from over populated anywhere. Does anyone get any satisfaction by killing a doe? I mean seriously, come on. So lame. Go kill a cow elk, they can take it and they taste better. Pull your heads out of your azz. Mule deer are on a steady decline and we are killing doe?s... Judas H priest.

Don?t ask me why but I bought two Idaho NR deer tags this year. Didn?t even step foot in Idaho.......does this make me a saint?!!? dumb bass?? Or a tree hugging hippie?

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-19 AT 07:40AM (MST)[p]I am not a biologist like so many people on here seem to be, however I think there is no easy solution. Maybe we should only shoot 180 inch bucks and 400 inch bulls. Then the population would get better. The point is nobody has the answer because there are too many factors involved.

I don't think anyone ever thought you were a biologist, your safe there, just entertaining!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-19 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]Idaho,

We don't have all the answers but we have a lot of them.

We run 1,000 mother cows on our ranch near Soda. I think I know more about ranching than you. I know a lot about carry capacity on winter range. Worked with biologist for many years. Summer range isn't an issue. We are not even close to carrying capacity on winter range period.

Last year sportsmen, Biologist students from BYU, and UDWR collared 50 fawns on the Cache unit to see survival rates. In less than one year, 49 out of 50 were killed. A couple from abandonment/malnourished. About 1/3 were killed by lions, 1/3 killed by coyotes,and 1/3 by bobcats. Pretty poor recruitment. We are still getting numbers from this years research.

We are not recruiting enough fawns to even replace adult deer population in some areas period. I'm speaking of units 76,75,77,78 in Idaho as well as northern utah, I would guess western Wyoming as well.

When you view several trail cams in different areas, you get an idea of animal populations in the area as well. Lots of predators.

We know where animals deer and elk feed, bed, water, etc. Hunted the same area for 30 years, some private and some public land.
the elk are doing OK in SE Idaho, but the deer are in serious trouble. I know what I'm talking about. You can keep offering doe permits. Killing that ONE doe can mean a difference in at least a loss of 100 deer in the next 10 years. Are you awake now? Lets try to make changes that will help the resource. DEER.

I can see where your coming from you want to maintain opportunity to hunt. Your more of a meat hunter possibly, nothing wrong with that. But if we don't have deer recruitment we don't have meat. Thanks, and good luck.

Here is some fun facts for ya:

Just got back from hunting Idaho 76.

Saw 7 bucks....none big enough to shoot. Saw less does.

PATHETIC!

I took video of the range and documented over grazing by cattle. The canyons I was in were SEVERELY overgrazed. I am friends with a guy that was a USFS Range Con. He has explained the process and the correct grazing patterns needed for range. And, whomever is in charge of the Montpelier Canyon area....YA SUCK! Your boy likely plays on the same ball team as the ranchers...or the rancher hangs with you at church...or whatever. But, for some reason you turn a blind eye to the OVERGRAZING of the summer range. MY HORSES PRACTICALLY STARVED AND I HAD TO HAUL IN FEED IN A HUGE MEADOW!

I hate to fuel the fire of the tree huggers but I am sending the video link from Youtube to the USFS headquarters...also copying the SUWA, WILDLIFE CAOLITION, WESTERN RIVERS COALITION, and ADVOCATES FOR THE WEST. Hell, lets throw in the Sierra Club too. Someone will sue and keep their eyes on it. If you dont do your job then someone will force you to.

I LOVE CATTLE RANCHERS! BUT! Do not tread on MY LAND...OUR LAND. ...with heavy feet and act as if you own it...because you dont.

ALSO, IDAHO FISH AND GAME! YA SUCK! I was hunting the Rubies in Nevada a few years ago and the deer population went down the TANK! So, what did they do the next year...cut tags by 10%....it didnt work...so they cut tags by 50%....that is right....go look...a few years ago 101-108 CUT TAGS....and now they are increasing again and the hunting is coming back. IDFG...YA GOTTA CUT TAGS! You know it! DO IT! You need to limit the over the counter tags. You are selling too many.

AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE! WHEN YOU SELL DOE TAGS AND YOUR DEER ARE AT LEAST HALF OR LESS OF WHAT THEY SHOULD BE!!!!>......THEN YOU SUCK! YOU ARE FLAGRANTLY FAILING WITH DELIBERATE IMPLIED STUPIDITY!

>>> YOUR DEER ARE WAY BELOW CAPACITY IN 76
>>> YOUR SUMMER RANGE IS CRIMINALLY OVER GRAZED!
>>> YOUR DOES CANNOT BE HUNTED ANY LONGER!
>>> I HOPE ONE OF THESE ORGANIZATIONS SUE YOU
>>> I WILL BE DONATING MY TIME, MY VIDEOS, AND MY MONEY TO HELP THEM SUE YOU :)

SO, I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER TAG

AND YOU CAN KISS MY FAT HAIRY
TOE :)

SEE YA IN COURT

Aspen,

How many days did you hunt? How many total deer did you see in those days?

We own a ranch in slug creek. there was still good feed/grass in aspen trees. I don't agree with over grazing period.

In slug creek, i bet Montpilier as well, had great June rains and grass. Then zero rain in about 100 days. That was bad for feed. Grazing down grass actually helps sage, bitter brush and most plants that deer feed on. Of course you can't over graze. COWS eat grass. They compete with elk feed more.

When we had more deer in the 60's and 70's we had a lot more sheep grazing. We also used poison on predators.

Grazing is important to monitor I agree. Doesn't effect deer feed much more elk. How was the elk population over that was in 76?

thanks

"I know that fawn survival rate is not 100% and I know all babies are not does but let me tell you about ranchers. You have 100 cows and 100 acres. Breed all your cows and they have calves. Year 2 you have 200 cows and 100 acres. Year 3 400 cows and 100 acres. You can see how this works. Eventually you have to thin the cows from the herd or they all starve to death."

This makes absolutely no sense when comparing it to deer populations. Tell me one time deer started starving to death because of lack of winter range?? We have a ton more winter range than what is currently being utilized, just no deer to occupy it. Stop killing does and IF we ever get to the point that we are having overpopulation issues then worry about thinning them out. It is proven science that you shouldn't kill does if you are trying to grow a population. Plain and simple.

I wanted to add my observations to this discussion having hunted Units 76 and 66a for the past 4 years. I too am alarmed at what I have seen and will not be buying another tag until things improve. In 2016, having spent all of my scouting time in Wyoming, I struggled to find deer in 66a but on my last day landed on a good spot and saw 14 bucks, almost all of which were 3 and 4 points. Following the bad winter, the next year in 2017 was rough in 66A/76 but with some hard hunting I had 2 friends with me that shot 4-points. Last year, in 2018, I had a breakthrough and saw around 15 4-points or bigger. A friend shot a buck that was just under 180 and I missed a larger 4x6 that I found scouting. I had big expectations this year and went back to the same area in 76 and barely saw 15 deer, despite cold and snowy conditions that should have helped the hunting. What really surprised me was when I got out on foot and walked through some beautiful country and didn't even jump a deer. All years I hunted out of a backpack camp from 4 to 7 miles in on foot. The elk hunting from what I have observed would be incredible if a guy could pull a controlled hunt tag. These are just my observations from a lot of hard hunting....I have no idea why there aren't more deer, but the country is amazing and should support a hell of a lot more of them. I like to hunt hard and get away from people/pressure, but I would be a fool to keep going back to hunt this area. The combined impact of 2 bad winters in 3 years along with whatever else is going on has really hurt the deer herd.

I hunt a spot in Northern Utah that is usually very reliable. I don't always fill my tag, but I'm pretty selective, and some years choose not to.

This year was different, not only a lack of bucks, but a lack of deer in general. It was pretty bizarre actually. I didn't think that winter was that bad, but I can't think of what else would have made that much impact in a single year.

?Last year sportsmen, Biologist students from BYU, and UDWR collared 50 fawns on the Cache unit to see survival rates. In less than one year, 49 out of 50 were killed. A couple from abandonment/malnourished. About 1/3 were killed by lions, 1/3 killed by coyotes,and 1/3 by bobcats. Pretty poor recruitment. We are still getting numbers from this years research.?

That paragraph above speaks volumes...

I want to add my observations with this year's hunt here in central Utah. I have hunted deer for 30 yrs and have never seen the deer herd in such bad shape(low numbers)!!! Seems to me that its so much worse than last year??? We hunted hard in multiple locations for 5 of the 9 days and ended up seeing a total of 9 buck and probably 30 doe. Biggest buck being a 20"4x4. I'm hoping we as sportsman can do whatever is possible to helpout the herd or our children wont have a decent buck to chase in <3 yrs tops!!! IMHO....

>Buy a doe tag and throw
>it in the trash, I
>did.
>
>
>#livelikezac

Only thing is DW!

Don't advertise it!

I've done the same thing!

Several years ago a Guy that worked for the DWR asked me:

You Don't Hunt Does,Why the Hell You drawing Doe Tags?

"To Save A Doe" I Said!

I'm sure after they found out what a few of us were doing they just Sold More Tags!

And Doing what I Did & what You Did & what fullthrottle did,they got the only thing they're worried about,the F'N Money!

SAD!!!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>>Buy a doe tag and throw
>>it in the trash, I
>>did.
>>
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>
> Only thing is DW!
>
>Don't advertise it!
>
>I've done the same thing!
>
>Several years ago a Guy that
>worked for the DWR asked
>me:
>
>You Don't Hunt Does,Why the Hell
>You drawing Doe Tags?
>
>"To Save A Doe" I Said!
>
>
>I'm sure after they found out
>what a few of us
>were doing they just Sold
>More Tags!
>
>And Doing what I Did &
>what You Did & what
>fullthrottle did,they got the only
>thing they're worried about,the F'N
>Money!
>
>SAD!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

It's really the only direct action we have. We can squeal for days on here or to the game departments but this has, although small, an immediate, direct impact.

#livelikezac

That is why I am using the over grazing of the cattle to go after them. Financially. If they cant produce deer and that is their job.....then they get fired....financially :)

> Sounds like
>Idaho should do away with
>the buy a second tag.
>They did for nonresidents which
>I agree with. But they
>may want to do away
>with 2 tags completely. They
>will have to find a
>way to replace the revenue
>that comes off the second
>tag option. Which would then
>have to lead to a
>tag increase. I wonder how
>many people are going to
>be in favor of a
>resident price increase though. Idaho
>is a beautiful state, but
>with out big game the
>land just becomes real estate.
>

>
> "We don't have a gun
>problem we have prescription drug
>problem."

Nonresidents can still buy 2 tags same as residents

When I see only one buck in an area that big I choose to pass so the herd gets a chance to rebuild. The fish and game can't manage at that level only we can. But it is up to the individual to make that call.

I'm glad people and hunters are finally getting pissed about the deer population in Idaho. Read BigoMuleys post on his unit 52 hunt. I also just finished up hunting in one of Idaho?s best deer units, no I did not kill a deer, there are very few older age class deer out there. If you are really pissed off call Mike Mcdonald he is the head biologist for Magic Valley IDFG- 208-324-4359. They are not done killing does and the over the counter Mega Cow hunt just opened up for the month of November. The big February IDFG meeting in Hailey was all about Corn and Corn Production, and stated by Mike Mcdonald that the only law he had to follow was to protect the private land owner. This was a big change from any other fish and game meetings, with no public comments at the meetings. If the IDFG thinks this is how the show is run it's going to take a lot of heat, just like this post is showing. It is going to take the farmers ranchers and sportsman getting together to work out solutions. Not Mike Mcdonald calling the shots, he's a lot like the old grump Randy Smith, it's his way or no way. This new opportunity hunting doesn't seem to be panning out so well, and you out of staters are getting screwed it's obvious it's about the revenue, not your hunting experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom