deer is up

I can't believe my son didn't draw. I put him in for a hunt that 4 people drew with 0 points last year. He went into draw with 2 points this year. Shows him having 3 points for 2014 now.

I got my 1 point as expected but I am not seeing a "500" series code on the purchase page. Feeling concerned that I didn't draw my 2nd choice which has never been a problem.
Is any one else seeing the 500 code showing they have a deer tag?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Mntman
you may have still drawn your 2nd choice tag. It was not until today that it showed that I drew 2nd choice Bear. I was thinking the same thing as you, since it has never been a problem drawing as 2nd choice. So I'm thinking there may be a couple day lag. I also don't show 2nd choice deer and I should probably have drawn it.

I think my points went up (it says Deer 13 points for 2014), but it does not actually say successful or unsuccessful for 2014. Can this be true?

>Mntman
>you may have still drawn your
>2nd choice tag. It
>was not until today that
>it showed that I drew
>2nd choice Bear. I
>was thinking the same thing
>as you, since it has
>never been a problem drawing
>as 2nd choice. So
>I'm thinking there may be
>a couple day lag.
>I also don't show 2nd
>choice deer and I should
>probably have drawn it.

Thanks!!!! was very worried about that, feeling better now. Will check early this week to see if it changes :)

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON May-10-14 AT 02:21PM (MST)[p]gundog2,
that should mean that you were unsuccesful in drawing your 1st choice. if you draw your first choice it will say 0 points 2014.
it won't say successful or unsuccessful.

My brothers and my nephews points are strange.My brother put in with 2 points his 2014 deer points says he has 4 points.Same with my nephew put him in with 1 point it says his 2014 points for deer are 3.The rest of the family is just showing 1 point gained.Anyone else seeing this on their point totals?

I can't believe I didn't draw a hybrid tag! WTF!!! Lol
I'm pumped my wife drew her 4th rifle tag!

LAST EDITED ON May-10-14 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]>How are you checking results?

Go to the Draw Results page and your points are at the bottom of the page. Your Deer points should be updated to 2014.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-14 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-10-14 AT 07:43?PM (MST)

61 archery for me, bummed my buddy didnt draw a muzzy tag with 7 points

I don't think they are updating the 500 codes as quickly as the draw results page. Until this morning, I did not show any 500 code for bear. I thought I did not draw a second choice tag, and I was baffled since pretty much every year people draw that tag 3rd and even 4th choice.
But now it shows, so my guess is that in a few days the deer tags will be updated there too.
Don't get depressed just yet :)

>I don't think they are updating
>the 500 codes as quickly
>as the draw results page.
> Until this morning, I
>did not show any 500
>code for bear. I
>thought I did not draw
>a second choice tag, and
>I was baffled since pretty
>much every year people draw
>that tag 3rd and even
>4th choice.
>But now it shows, so my
>guess is that in a
>few days the deer tags
>will be updated there too.
>
>Don't get depressed just yet :)
>

I hope your right... If not we may have to go Idaho or Mt

>My brothers and my nephews points
>are strange.My brother put in
>with 2 points his 2014
>deer points says he has
>4 points.Same with my nephew
>put him in with 1
>point it says his 2014
>points for deer are 3.The
>rest of the family is
>just showing 1 point gained.Anyone
>else seeing this on their
>point totals?

I wouldn't say nothing! print it off for your records then if they change it you will have proof :)

Mntman

Wow, I didn't draw for deer and I thought I was a lock. Major point creep in the unit I applied for. Good luck to all who drew.

I'm showing 0 points for deer with 2009 as the only date shown(I've drawn every year) I assume that means I've drawn again...it does show points for moose this year, now 3+10

Dang, Boys's! 20 and 18 points! There isn't a unit in Colorado worth waiting that long to go without hunting. I hope you're getting some on the side. Somewhere.

Sitting on 9 points now! Never expected to accumulate this many points. Have had 3 other great hunts in 3 different states while waiting though.

Put in with 9pts for a muzz deer tag that drew with 7 for nonres last year and it shows me with 10pts now, didn't see that one coming.

I called DOW this morning, because there seems to be a lot of people who should have drawn that didn't. They said the points are correct as far as they know. I guess I'm just real unlucky this year I guess.

The second big unknown variable every year, besides tag numbers, is how many people are going to stop applying for points only and enter the draw. In 2013 there were 1849 residents and 3167 nonresidents with 11+ points that applied for a point only. It only takes a few of them to enter the draw to really change the odds, especially for the "premium" units with extremely limited tags.

I wanted to know what unit your wife put in for? I put in for unit 35,36 4th with 7 points with no luck!!!
Good luck on your wifes hunt!!

Didn't draw 3rd season on 68 with 4 non-resident points. Last year some of the guys with 3 points drew. Must have been lots of folks coming off the bench this year - with a couple of difficult hunting seasons and relatively good winters I was hoping to find an older class buck this year.

Looking to plan B.

Think the odds are bad this year wait till next year when the season is a week later. I have done points for years and next year Iam in to win with 20. I dont know if colorado will be on my list anymore, looks to be getting hard to draw just a hunt period. To many people to many points more $$$ to play .

Seems like a lot of people questioning it, and I have to say for the area we were looking at looks suspicious as well. Last year my buddy drew with 4 pts and 30% of people drew with 3, NR, this year my other buddy didn't get drawn with 6 pts. That's a heck of a jump assuming no big decrease in tags. Something looks wrong to me, at least I hope so.

Failed to draw with 7 NR points but kind of glad now since point banking may return. I've been wanting to break them up for some high mountain archery 1-2 point hunts.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

You can check the 2014 tag numbers here:
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2014/May/ITEM10-ChW-2-BigGame.pdf

Folks with a lot of points should probably be reevaluating their expectations and be realistic about the chances of chasing down a premium unit. Some sobering stats from 2013:

Non-resident tags available that took 10+ points to draw: 164
Non-residents with 10+ points: 4,771

Resident tags available that took 10+ points to draw: 182 (57 were RFW)
Residents with 10+ points: 3,212

Non-residents with 9 points: 1,309
Residents with 9 points: 924

Another thing to note is that there were 80 landowner vouchers issued in units that took either residents or non-residents 10+ points to draw. None of those burned points. Next year you can expect another 5% to go to vouchers.

Given all of this information, it is very reasonable that points required to draw could jump by 2-3 in some units.

And some people believe point banking will "fix" point creep. What a joke.....

Starting to think from this small sampling that many may be worried about CO DOW's possible vision/decision dealing with points starting in 2015 and decided to bail...

Mntman

I still think there is something wrong with the numbers. I applied with 10 NR PP for a unit that only took 3 PP to draw last year and total tag numbers didn't go down they increased and it's showing me to now have 11 points.

I applied on line but I kept a copy of my application which I have checked and there isn't any errors on it.

I called the CPW this morning to check on deer results. The service rep informed me that the drawing is not completed. I asked him why then the preference point totals have been updated? He said that a computer "glitch" has updated the point totals. Anyone else call them and get this same story?

>I called the CPW this morning
>to check on deer results.
>The service rep informed me
>that the drawing is not
>completed. I asked him why
>then the preference point totals
>have been updated? He said
>that a computer "glitch" has
>updated the point totals. Anyone
>else call them and get
>this same story?

Well hold on then! We may get a tag after all! Good news for me been putting in 1st choice 2nd season for 10 years takes 0 points to draw and mines saying I didn't get the tag! Hope your right.

>I called the CPW this morning
>to check on deer results.
>The service rep informed me
>that the drawing is not
>completed. I asked him why
>then the preference point totals
>have been updated? He said
>that a computer "glitch" has
>updated the point totals. Anyone
>else call them and get
>this same story?

I sure hope you are right. I have been planning on taking my son on a Sept. muzzleloader hunt all year. I figured it was a sure thing. A few have drawn the tag with 0 points 4 of the last 5 years 1 point has always got a tag. My son had 2 points going into the draw.

we did not get one that was almost 50% to the 5 point pool last year and had 8 this year going in. I hope the point update is a glitch, but not thinking so based on every other species posting and some going to zero while others add one...

According to the rep, only drawings completed are sheep and mountain goat.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-14 AT 05:30PM (MST)[p]>You can check the 2014 tag
>numbers here:
>http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2014/May/ITEM10-ChW-2-BigGame.pdf
>
>Folks with a lot of points
>should probably be reevaluating their
>expectations and be realistic about
>the chances of chasing down
>a premium unit. Some
>sobering stats from 2013:
>
>Non-resident tags available that took 10+
>points to draw: 164
>Non-residents with 10+ points: 4,771
>
>Resident tags available that took 10+
>points to draw: 182 (57
>were RFW)
>Residents with 10+ points: 3,212
>
>Non-residents with 9 points: 1,309
>Residents with 9 points: 924
>
>Another thing to note is that
>there were 80 landowner vouchers
>issued in units that took
>either residents or non-residents 10+
>points to draw. None
>of those burned points.
>Next year you can expect
>another 5% to go to
>vouchers.
>
>Given all of this information, it
>is very reasonable that points
>required to draw could jump
>by 2-3 in some units.
>
>
>And some people believe point banking
>will "fix" point creep.
>What a joke.....

+100 Yea if you thought point creep was bad this year - if point banking comes back this year will prove to be nothing as under banking most low to mid tier units will jump another 4+ points in one year.

Good luck to all who drew and I will be chasing high country bucks again in August!

Has anyone else heard of this glitch in deer point updates? I'm in the process of trying to find another hunt and would like to know if anyone else has heard that point total updates were inaccurate.

I don't buy the draw not finished, computer glitch points story. If it was a glitch, it wouldn't have glitched some to zero and others plus one....I think the points are correct.

Something is F'd up. My 2 buddies put in as a group with 6 points in a unit that took 3 points last year. One guy is now showing 7 points, the other 8. They both went in with 6. Not sure I ever heard of creep that extreme for a under the radar unit either.

>Something is F'd up. My 2
>buddies put in as a
>group with 6 points in
>a unit that took 3
>points last year. One guy
>is now showing 7 points,
>the other 8. They both
>went in with 6. Not
>sure I ever heard of
>creep that extreme for a
>under the radar unit either.
>

The draw may be done but I think cdow is having some problems so I wouldn't give up yet!

LAST EDITED ON May-13-14 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]I put in for a unit that can be drawn with 0-1 points. It has been 0-1 points for as long as I can remember. I put in with 5 points and didn't draw. Something with CDOW has got to be off.

update: I called and spoke with CDOW. They are saying nothing is offical until May 31st and that those who have been awarded a point for 2014 can still draw. Why their computer puts some guys at 0 and awards others points seems to be a flaw in programing especially if nothing is official until May 31st. There is still hope!

Some thing is wrong with draw for sure, 67 3 season 1 person put in with 14 points and 3 of us put in with 13 no one with higher points put in.. No way I should not have drawn? There should have been at least 8 tags for non resident's

Where are you guys seeing the 2014 hunt recap? I can only find 2013 and earlier hunt recap summaries.

Thanks!

Looks like there is an error with the draw. This Drawing Summary Report they posted shows no non-resident tags being allocated. Looks like all tags went to residents. I would think they will have to re-draw after correcting the programming error.

Man I was on looking at 2014 Summary Report and your right Trophy_Taker the numbers were all messed up. And then the 2014 Summary was taken off the page. What I seen can't be right no non- resident tags and low numbers all over the place!!

>anyone else try and check their
>point to tals in
>the last hour? mine Doesn't
>show anything anymore.

Gone! looks like they need to start over!

I said way back in the beginning of this thread to print that page off showing your points, especially if you gained 2, 3 or 4 from this one draw alone ;)

Mntman

>>anyone else try and check their
>>point to tals in
>>the last hour? mine Doesn't
>>show anything anymore.
>
>
>Gone! looks like they need to
>start over!

Called CDOW again today. They told me they knew there was a glitch and they were working in it. I just checked again and the points for everything disappeared. Looks like they're fixing it now. Hope to see something correct soon!

Wonder if there are a bunch of locals out there today who think they drew but did not.

Sure hope that is not the case.

Someone in the CPW said only the hunt recaps were wrong and not the draw so they are only reloading the recaps and will put them out. Your points are still there you just need to know how to see them as the CPW just made it so you cant see them right now..

I know for a fact that a a couple of NR friends points went to 0 on a unit where the recap showed that no NR drew....

So it sounds like they will only be redoing the recaps and not the draw.

Kayak:

If I am reading you right are you saying that the pref point page was right? If that is the case, that means all the guys above that thought they had way more points than what was needed did not draw.

I know that there were non res who points went to 0 and were not included in the hunt recap that was pulled.

Not sure about the guys above - the CPW the number is 303-297-1192 so call them if you would like.

If the draw was wrong they would have knew it by mid day Sunday and if no non residents had drawn it would not have even been pulled. No way it took them until 5 days after the draw to figure out that no NR drew....

There were lots of NR who's points went to 0 and I told you what the guy from the CPW told me.

I have a NR friend whose points went to zero which was expected for the unit he applied for. The puzzler to me is the huge jump in points needed in some of the units based on the posts above.

I recieved this email today in response to one I sent yesterday. Explains it a little better.

Baker - DNR, James
To Me
Today at 1:51 PM
Austin, thank you for your e mail. Statistics and preference points were posted erroneously on May 14.
These statistics had not yet been verified by CPW staff and were not accurate. Also, certain items (such as online preference point status) do change throughout the draw and validation process. Unfortunately, some of those changes were posted to the CPW website prior to the draw process being completed. CPW is working with IT staff to prevent these changes to the public website in the future until draw results are official.

Draw results ​will be official and available to the public on the following dates:

May 15, 2014: Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat
May 30, 2014: Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Moose, Bear

Prior to these dates, the preference point records and draw results are NOT official.

We apologize for any confusion caused. As stated above, we are working with IT to prevent early release of incomplete data in the future.

​I hope this helps answer your question, please be patient for official results.
Jim​

Jim Baker
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Communications Center
Customer Service
Hunt Planner Supervisor
6060 Broadway
Denver, CO. 80216
303-291-7684
[email protected]

Thank you to all that made the calls and emails to help clarify and keep us all informed. It is greatly appreciated.

I hope this doesn't mean in the future the back door will be locked and a sign hanging on it saying Closed - Will Return on May 30.

There went CO's back door. Funny there was no problem but there was never a problem like this in all of the previous years... Pizzes me off when people lie about stupid simple crap. Just say what happened, you fixed it and move on!

Mntman

They've only provided the "back door" allowing us to view "Current Preference Points", for the last 2 years. Previously this information was not available until after the draw results were officially posted. They started showing that "back door" point info, by all appearances, in hopes to reduce the massive amount of phone calls from people who were calling to ask for results prematurely.

People continued calling anyway, even though there's not a thing the poor folks manning the phones can add. All they have is your PP totals, which you just viewed on-line yourself.

The other "back door", which is the one that existed prior to the advent of the above-mentioned PP table, was to view your "Products On File" list. This list usually updates a couple or three days after they conduct the draw, but several days before the official results are posted.

Or should I say....it used to....lol.

>had 7 NR points for 66
>muzz. now 8

If the tag percentage is the same for non residents as last year you should have had a 1 in 3 chance of drawing. From what I can see on the 2014 summary

back 25 years or so all we did was wait for the mailman to deliver our tags. That was the first we knew if we drew a license. I guess May 30 will be the day this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom