Deer Rifle for Son

S

Son_of_Odin

I was hoping to get a little help with choosing a deer rifle for a 12yo boy. He is a little on the small side for a 12yo and it would be his first rifle. He's only shot 22's up to now. I am looking for something that would be stickly for hunting mule deer in SW Idaho and with as little kick as possible. Thanks for any help!

Viking,

The actions are very much the same. However, the model 7 is more compact. My model 7 is 37 1/2" and my 25/06 model 700 ADL is 44 1/2". The 7 isn't as much of a load in the hills as the 700 is. I do "feel" more accurate with the 700 on my sholder. The 7 is in my oppinion easyer to point and shoot especialy for those quick shots, like coyotes. Just my 3 cents...

I bought a youth model .308 for my 10 year old and had a muzzelbrake installed. Shoots just like a loud .243, but much more power and can be used effectively on Elk too. Plus the .308 is probably the most accurate commercial round available.

I'm partial to the .257 Roberts for kids and small framed women who are just starting to hunt. Has worked great for my wife and both kids. I even like to hunt with it when I can get it away from them. Has enough power for whitetails. mulies, antelope, and black bear (at close range). Recoil is not bad. May be hard to find a rifle chambered in .257 Roberts, but if you do it's worth a look.

Phantom Hunter

all my boys started out with the same model 600 rem .243 with an old weaver K4 scope with a dot. it has taken a buncha deer. cut the stock way down and then added and removed the piece as it needed it. they all got a new ruger .270 when they turned 14, from their grandad. bought an uncut stock for the 600 at a gunshow awhile back and now use it myself quite a bit. great gun for horsebackin'. one thing about the 600 i don't like, is that on the left side of the action, inside where the bolt slide guide is, it is almost exactly the same width as a .243 or .308 cartridge, and when you're loading it they can get sorta stuck in it and it's kind of a pain for a kid to figure out. just something to think of. i think about everyone makes a rifle that a kid can handle pretty well. youth models, featherweights, etc. i wouldn't worry too much about recoil. within reason. i wouldn't give a 10 year old a .300 mag. but anything like a .270 on down oughta work just great.

.243 would be my first choice, but the .260rem would also be worth concidering. It packs alittle more "wallop", but is not a big kicker.

I bought the 260 rem for my boys, only problem is I have fallen in love with it and now dont know if I can hand it over to them,what a GREAT little gun it is.

Mike
at235.gif

the .260 is a great choice imo.more bullet weight than .243..243 is also good.
hicountry.

Remington just came out with a 243. Winchester super Short Magnum. Not much kick yet the ballistics are the same as the 25.-06 Rem.

7MM-08 OR THE 243 BOTH VERY GOOD. 308 IS HARD TO BEAT.
JUST TELL HIM TO REMEMBER TO SHOOT THEM IN THE SIDE AND HE WILL BE FINE WITH WHATEVER YOU GIVE HIM.

I have handled the Ruger 77 Compact, and man does it feel good in hand. I think one of those in .243 would be the cat's patoot for a kid.
HB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom