Deer Slam

muleymaniac81

I am interested in pursuing a deer slam. I live in Oklahoma, and I have killed a whitetail and a muley. I'm not sure what the muley would be classified as, Rocky Mtn or Desert? It's kinda neither. Not matter, I'm building points in CO, and should be able to draw a good tag in 2012.

Now, for the rest of the deer, I have no idea. I could also use a lot of help. I hunt with rifle, muzzleloader, and bow. I am WAY more confident with a rifle(who isn't?). I can spend 3-5k a year to hunt, maybe a little more if I have to.

For Coues' deer, I think archery is kinda out of the question at my shooting level. I'm thinking NM over AZ due to the fact that I could possibly draw the first year easier. Any thoughts?

Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch
MM81

Thats a cool idea and sounds fun . I have been doing the same thing with antelope except I'm trying to get a buck from every western state .

With your budget it seems like you should be able to get in done in a few years . Besides the white tail , muley , and coues what else is on your list . What about blacktail ?

I would recommend Sitka blacktails in Alaska, plenty of deer. No tags to draw and some of the hunts they come right down to the beach on some of the islands. It is all DIY, in fact you can hire a transporter service and you sleep on fishing boats and they run you back and forth to the islands. You don't need a guide and I think you could do a great hunt for a few thousand, season starts in August I believe and you can bag at least 2 as a non-resident, I haven't read the game laws lately. Also if you hunt Kodiak Island you can hunt the road system that runs around the island, and they have old beater cars that you can rent at the airport in Kodiak. Hope this helps.
WVBOWAK

There are blacktail deer that occupy the western portions of Oregon, California, and Washington.

The slam I am thinking of is: Whitetail, Rocky Mountain Mule Deer, Desert Mule Deer, Coues Whitetail, Columbia Blacktail, and Sitka Blacktail. Does anyone have any experience with rifle hunting the two blacktails?

Ive Got A Deer Slam Finished 2 years ago.Mule Deer, Whitetail, Coues,Columbian Blacktail, Sitka Blacktail,Columbian Whitetail.Its Fun Good Luck Gordon RAM4G

It's not hard to draw a decent tag for a Coues Whitetail in AZ. There are many hunts from October into December with the December hunt being the most difficult to draw. The earlier hunts can be very good. You should probably get a tag the first year if you aren't too picky. There are some really good guides in the Southeast part of AZ if you wish. My youngest son lives in CA, so I have looked at the draw odd there in the past few years. The odds for drawing a coastal season tag for Blacktails in the northern part of the state are almost guarenteed. Odds for the Sept-Oct seasons for the northwest part of the state are very good as well. Some great guided hunts up there also. Some really good Blacktail bucks come out of CA. Good Luck.

For what it is worth, I know a guy that goes Couses deer hunting in Old Mexico on hunts that are within your budget. I wouldn't overlook that option.

The Columbian Whitetail would be the tuff one.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I believe the 5 species that Boone and Crockett recognize are the Rocky Mountain Mule Deer, Whitetail, Coues Whitetail, Columbian Blacktail, and Sitka Blacktail. I think SCI recognizes the Desert Mule Deer as a 6th species as well.

I have taken all the ones Boone and Crocket Recognize and am hoping to go on a Desert Mule Deer hunt in the next year or so.

Good luck with your slam!

Lien2

Man, great info guys. This is one of my favorite parts of hunting. The initial planning and research phase gets my blood pumping! This site is by far the most informative one I have found for multiple species, with all weapons.
Thanks again,
MM81

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom