Deer Tag Return

bpbigperm

Has anyone here ever returned a deer tag in California? I wish our state had a program for returned tags. These late season hunts starting this and next weekend are not looking too good for the years of points needed to get them. It is still very warm in the mountains. I went up two days ago looking for bears and was wearing a long sleeve t-short all day.

I did it a few years ago due to fires, when I looked into then there had to be a legitimate reason for the return, the returned tag had to be postmarked at least a day before the season started, I had to include a written statement for the reason of returning the tag, and a request to reinstate my preference points plus adding the point I would have received in the draw that year. It took about a month but I did get all my points back, however they can’t refund you for the tag or let you purchase a replacement tag for a different zone. Not sure if they changed the process since then

I know they were discussing doing a turn back process and reinstatement of tags like Nevada but never heard of it passing.

I did it a few years ago due to fires, when I looked into then there had to be a legitimate reason for the return, the returned tag had to be postmarked at least a day before the season started, I had to include a written statement for the reason of returning the tag, and a request to reinstate my preference points plus adding the point I would have received in the draw that year. It took about a month but I did get all my points back, however they can’t refund you for the tag or let you purchase a replacement tag for a different zone. Not sure if they changed the process since then
I did the same last year and had all points reinstated.

I doubt warm weather and lack of snow will do it. I think an out of town business trip, kids wedding or something like that would be more appropriate.

My two brother in laws tried returning their tags for G6 one year due to fire and lack of snow and their request was denied.

Use a medical excuse or family hardship....also best to have tag at DFG before season starts! We turned in a tag a few years ago as my daughter couldn't go because of college exams, they declined cuz it was not in there office prior to hunt date. Told us post mark does not matter. It may be of matter who you talk, but if you know anything about CA Fish and Game thats the norm.

I would come up with a good medical excuse or borrow a death certificate. An inconvenience won’t do it.

Point creep is bad enough without people choosing that the trophy potential isn’t good enough this year.

The only reason a tag should be able to be returned is for a medical emergency. I think we all know that. College exams? I am sorry but that is something known a the beginning of the semester or quarter....not an acceptable excuse.
Really...we applied in the spring semester for the tag. She did not know what her fall classes would be or what the dates of exams would be.... for fall semester. And yes it was not an acceptable excuse as it was declined. Mainly it did not get there in time and the letter they sent back stated the "excuse" was not valid. Thats why I stated in the beginning use a medical excuse!

Talk about having your priorities out of wack! College over hunting?
Different era these days... I missed school for a week at a time when I was younger 80's early 90's.. no big deal. I turned out fine and made up all my work at that time. These days the many teachers dont even know what pro noun they are supposed to use. You miss 3 or 4 days depending on the teacher and you get dropped from the class. (college)

Really...we applied in the spring semester for the tag. She did not know what her fall classes would be or what the dates of exams would be.... for fall semester. And yes it was not an acceptable excuse as it was declined. Mainly it did not get there in time and the letter they sent back stated the "excuse" was not valid. Thats why I stated in the beginning use a medical excuse!
I understand....my son hasn't hunted in his 4 years in college because everyone knows that school is during hunting season and it is not feasible to try to fit an October/November hunting trip in between exams or any other school work in general. Call me crazy.

I understand....my son hasn't hunted in his 4 years in college because everyone knows that school is during hunting season and it is not feasible to try to fit an October/November hunting trip in between exams or any other school work in general. Call me crazy.
Well....I think YOU ARE CRAZY.

I'm a high school teacher with only 4 "no-tell" days allowed off each year per our contract. Somehow I find a way to go on some pretty incredible hunting trips each and every year. You just have to be VERY creative. So far this year I went up to OREGON to hunt over the counter blacktails. Left after school on a Friday and drove the 8 hours north...hunted two days...then drove back home on Sunday afternoon. Did the same to help a buddy out on his NV elk hunt this year...but the timing worked out where the trip lined up with veterans day (friday). Drove all the way over to Ely, hunted for three days, then back home again. I have been saving my days off for my G-3 hunt coming up...but only if I need them. I'll drive on Friday, hunt Sat & Sun. If I need Monday off I'll call in for a sub....if I'm successful over the weekend I'll come right back home...easy. I hold a cow elk tag for NV too this year...but the season runs during my Christmas break so I'll hunt the week between Christmas and New Years.

The point of all this is that, with a little bit of planning, you CAN do some great hunts without missing school or taking too much time off from work. If you really want to hunt, you can...as long as you have planned accordingly. Just gotta choose hunts that work within you constraints. With all the opportunities available across the west (within a day's drive of CA) there really is no excuse not to go hunting somewhere each and every year.

Other Examples:
Montana deer...Easy to draw tags. Hunt block-management properties or public land in Nov over Veteran's Day or Thanksgiving holiday. Bonus: This is a rut hunt for either Muleys or Whitetail

Wyoming Pronghorn:
Some zones are not that difficult to draw. In the past we would drive out there after work on thursday (pulling an all nighter taking turns with the driving). Hunt Friday and Saturday. Usually that's enough if you aren't picky. Then hit the road early Sunday and be back to work on Monday. My brother (also a teacher) did this hunt last month and was able to pull it off without taking a single day of vacation time! And yes, he was successful in taking a respectable (mid-70's" buck)

Arizona Coues Deer: Choose a hunt period for a particular zone where the dates line up best for your schedule. Hunt over a 3 or 4 day weekend from end of Oct through Nov. Only an easy day's drive (or a really short flight to Tucson!) away.

Alaska Blacktail Deer: Hunt any time between Oct and December...go over thanksgiving week like I did...incredible experience.

These are only a couple easy example...there are NUMEROUS others across the west. Just gotta want it bad enough.

Last edited:
My dad would always write us great sounding sick notes. The absolute best one was when we drew NV deer tags just as Legionnaires' disease was big in the news. That's what my brother and I had! 🤣

When I went to college, I made arrangements to make up tests with other excuses. I didn't use hunting, being that it was Berkeley.

My 3 person group successfully returned our X-zone tags in 2017 due to me having a medical emergency just 10 days prior to the hunt. I contacted the superintendent of the deer tag allocation program via phone and was advised that as long as all the surrendered tags were returned accompanied with a written request and valid reason for it were received prior to the season opener it should be approved and our preference points would be reinstated. I received confirmation by mail 2 weeks later.
The question I have is what happens to returned premium deer tags? Are they reallocated and if so, how and to whom? I’ve asked a 4 different CDFW wardens while in the field over the past couple of seasons. 2 of them told me they didn’t know. The other 2 said they’re not allowed to talk about it. (wink, wink)

My 3 person group successfully returned our X-zone tags in 2017 due to me having a medical emergency just 10 days prior to the hunt. I contacted the superintendent of the deer tag allocation program via phone and was advised that as long as all the surrendered tags were returned accompanied with a written request and valid reason for it were received prior to the season opener it should be approved and our preference points would be reinstated. I received confirmation by mail 2 weeks later.
The question I have is what happens to returned premium deer tags? Are they reallocated and if so, how and to whom? I’ve asked a 4 different CDFW wardens while in the field over the past couple of seasons. 2 of them told me they didn’t know. The other 2 said they’re not allowed to talk about it. (wink, wink)
They are not reallocated to the public, they have discussed doing something similar to what Nevada does but I haven’t heard much of it.

They are not reallocated to the public, they have discussed doing something similar to what Nevada does but I haven’t heard much of it.
I already knew returned tags weren’t re-issued to the PUBLIC. However, I’ve also heard 2nd hand mumbles from reliable sources (take it for what it’s worth) that returned premium deer tags somehow find their way into the hands of certain state employees. This is why when I asked the field wardens I was told it was a “touchy” subject they can’t confirm nor deny and are not allowed to discuss.

I already knew returned tags weren’t re-issued to the PUBLIC. However, I’ve also heard 2nd hand mumbles from reliable sources (take it for what it’s worth) that returned premium deer tags somehow find their way into the hands of certain state employees. This is why when I asked the field wardens I was told it was a “touchy” subject they can’t confirm nor deny and are not allowed to discuss.
That is not surprising at all.....I've heard things like this happen in other states....I had a buddy get a Vet tag just on a whim. He was a Vet but never went through any proper draw or anything like that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom