Deer Unit 2A

JFBNORTHERNHUNTER

Hey follow hunters
It's that time of year and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to apply this year. In the last five years if not more I haven't held a good deer tag. So thinking of changing the areas I apply for to increase my odds. So here is the question that everyone hates but yet most common. Can anyone share info on unit 2A, as to public access, number of deer, and hunt experience. Not asking for your honey whole but general info. Thank you for taking time to read this and I can exchange info for Units 2B, 4, 5A&B, 6, 39, 50, 51, 52, 55.

My house is in 2A, if you draw 2A you will still not have a good tag in your pocket!!!! NM has 2C and a little in 2B as the only hunts in the state worth drawing for quality deer. Other area will give up a few monsters but NM is in sad shape for deer!! Makes me sick, deer hunting was one of the main reasons I moved here in 97.

Chris Guikema
www.compasswestoutfitters.com

He lives there and is simply sharing his opinion.He has clients who kill great bucks in 2B and C and its easier to draw ,so if there was great deer hunting there in 2A he would occasionally have a 2A buck in his pics......
I agree with him as I have a couple buddies who also live there and don't put in for 2A ever....But I don't agree that those are the only units for quality deer....Couple units on the come back...Just sayin...

Thank you to those that have sent my messages. After research I think I'm going to apply to units closer to home this year and also take this year as a chance to visit unit 2A. I think I'll spend a weekend camping and fishing up around the area and get to know the lay of the land. I'll still take any pointers on good areas and good fishing spots. thank you again.

JFB

Don't get me wrong..... its a great chance to just have a tag! However fishing in the area is far better than the hunting now days. As a outfitter I try and post the same truth about units and hunts I would and DO tell clients that call me about the areas in NM. I have a lease in 34 almost 50,000 acres now, we don't even take a single deer hunters anymore, 10 years ago we were killing 8-10 nice 130-150+ bucks a year. This year I logged 4 what I would call mature bucks on the ranch. The public out cry would be severe, but I think NM needs to manage about 80% of the state like they do unit 2C and offer 20 tags for hunts until deer can recover. Mule deer are in trouble across the west, not just here!!

Chris Guikema

Fishing spots.................. call me anytime on the right spots but really if you fly fish you cant go wrong from Navajo dam all the way to Blanco!!!! If you like to drown worms, from Crusher Hole to just below the village take out is where you want to be! Great fishing everyday of the year! My sons getting into fly flinging but we also fish the quality waters with buck tail jigs and ultra light spin gear and kill'em.

Chris Guikema

Thank you Chris for the info on the area and I could not agree more with you on the management of the states deer population. I know there is deer in the area but I rather get to know it better and put a tag to good use, then to be one of those guys that says "I draw this area can I have some help". Nothing against that I have done it in years pass myself but do know its not the right way to go about hunting. Actually this weekend I'm going to be helping a guy from down south on a management hunt here in unit 51 for cow elk. Never even meet the guy but seems to be a good guy trying to get some meat and show his son the outdoors. I'll pm you when I make may way up north this summer. thanks again and good luck on the draw to all.

Chris is Unit 2A really that bad in your back yard? Know of a party of four who have taken a monster typical and non-typical in the last several years out of there when they drew. Other years have taken good mature bucks and would not hunt anywhere else. They have access to good deer hunting in units close to Co. border and prefer to hunt 2A. Maybe they just found a honey hole and big bucks are there in limited numbers if you can find them as you stated?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom