Deseret cow elk hunt

sniper14

My dad just found out he drew a cow elk tag on Deseret. He doesn't have the cash to pay for a guide. Having never set foot on the unit I was wondering what advice you would give a 75 year old out of shape man about the hunt.
Thanks and happy hunting

My dad just found out he drew a cow elk tag on Deseret. He doesn't have the cash to pay for a guide. Having never set foot on the unit I was wondering what advice you would give a 75 year old out of shape man about the hunt.
Thanks and happy hunting
You call the CWMU Ranch Manager. He will advise you what dates you can hunt. Then he will take you to a place or places when you arrive which can be good depending on IF they let you hunt a good place or just anywhere on propertie(s) .
I was denied many places on the Spring Creek Torb Unit many years ago when I was a Resident and Dedicated hunter. They saved the hangouts of the big boys for the guys who bought the Landowner tags and were being guided. However for a Cow Tag I don't see them being stingy because it isn't a trophy animal. He should have some graciousness for an older fellow.
Good luck ! I sure miss my Dad ! I wish he was here to go with me even if he just stayed in camp to cook or visit at night . He was a one in a million happy and awesome Dad.

Last edited:
CWMU operators are required to treat public hunters exactly the same as their other hunters in terms of rules or restrictions. If certain areas are off-limits to you, they have to be off-limits to everybody. If that wasn't the case, you should report them to the DWR.

CWMU operators are required to treat public hunters exactly the same as their other hunters in terms of rules or restrictions. If certain areas are off-limits to you, they have to be off-limits to everybody. If that wasn't the case, you should report them to the DWR.
That was about 204 so not applicable as too long ago. But yes it happened. They got my money for a guided trip with Todd a couple years before that and we hunted all over. Not the case when I drew the tag . Hopefully it doesn't happen to others. There were some huge bucks I couldn't hunt and they were on the unit.

You call the CWMU Ranch Manager. He will advise you what dates you can hunt. Then he will take you to a place or places when you arrive which can be good depending on IF they let you hunt a good place or just anywhere on propertie(s) .
I was denied many places on the Spring Creek Torb Unit many years ago when I was a Resident and Dedicated hunter. They saved the hangouts of the big boys for the guys who bought the Landowner tags and were being guided. However for a Cow Tag I don't see them being stingy because it isn't a trophy animal. He should have some graciousness for an older fellow.
Good luck ! I sure miss my Dad ! I wish he was here to go with me even if he just stayed in camp to cook or visit at night . He was a one in a million happy and awesome Dad.
Thanks for your response, and I totally agree. I'm talking every opportunity to spend time with my dad.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom