Desert Muleys

muleymaniac81

I think I have asked this before, but I cannot find it via the search feature. Could anyone please recommend a desert type unit that is capable of producing a mature muley for a guy that is willing to hunt hard, but has a limited time to do it. I am primarily an archery hunter, but am willing to hunt muzzy and rifle seasons as well. I'm not asking for your honey-hole or GPS coordinates, just a general idea of what unit to try for. Thank you for your assistance,
MM81(Mitch)

Well, it has been my very limited experience that most any desert unit will produce good muleys but there are some guys on here that could tell you more than I.

I would have to agree with Creed. Most of the desert units have good bucks in them. Some of them have more deer along with all the poky things that like to stick you. You can look up where to hunt on the AZ web page. Look up the unit you're interested in and read what the BIO has written about that unit. Look on Monster Muleys search for back topics. Try calling the local taxidermist in that area and ask questions. If you belong to SCI you can look up their record book online. There are big bucks out in the desert units and people like Creed know how to hunt them. I believe it's not so much about someones honey hole because the deer move around a lot! It's more about water, sitting and glassing for long periods of times up on a high peak, than moving in on a stalk to seal the deal!

quest

I'd have to agree with the above...though I'm sure you were looking for some more specific advice...:)
The last couple years I've hunted in a couple pretty crappy units down in the desert, and seen some pretty decent bucks.
I'd pick a unit that's the most convenient for you to get to, get some glass, and sit on a mountain for a couple days. The deer are there; but you just gotta find em. Concentrate on water holes, saddles, north slopes, all the typical places...

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Could someone please give me an idea of which general are to try? It would help me a lot to just know which of the six areas to start looking into. Thanks again,
MM81

Best place to start would be from the teens down to the 40's lol. Really isn't an area in the desert that doesn't hold good bucks. Start in the closest one to you and you will save some travel money.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

Tough crowd, WTF? Seems like someone would have said, well there all south of the ditch, nevermind. Try 44A, lots of country, but some BIG deer. Best of luck.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom