Desert Muleys

muleymaniac81

I was hoping someone could give me some ideas of which GMU's would be considered desert muley areas. I'm not asking for specifics or anything like that, just any suggestions for a unit that I could possibly draw as a NR and have a good hunt. Also, I would need pulbic land with decent access. I'm not afraid to walk a long ways in, but I can't afford a trespass fee or guide. I'm not a trophy hunter, I just love hunting muleys, and I would like to try the desert type hunt. I've only hunted in the high-country CO and rolling hills here in OK. I appreciate your help and info.

Mitch

UNITS 37,38 36,34 ARE ALL UNITS YOU WILL SEE DEER NOT A WHOLE LOT OF QUALITY THOUGH.BOW HUNTED IT A LOT OF YEARS ALWAYS GOT LOTS OF SHOTS KILLED A FEW.DON'T RECOMEND RIFLE THOUGH WAY TO MANY HUNTERS. ALMOST DANGEROUS.

30, 31 & 33 and a few others scattered across the southern end. But the private land keeps'em big.
Look towards the Texas line against the private. "Huge" MueyGrandes" every now and then. Helps to know someone. Especially the Ranchers and the oilfield pumpers. But every now and then a booger stands up in the middle of no where. Just when you think you've spent 4 days in the grassland amongst the quail, coyotes and rattelsnakes, and all has failed,,,, up jumps the biggest Dang Muley you've ever seen. Bang, Bang,,,, Dang.!!! Missed the largest deer I've ever got to shoot at. And that has happened more than a few times.
Great country to hunt. Lots of State and BLM. No problem to find deer, just need time and patience to find that 27" to 36" incher.
And I've seen'em get shot and I've seen'em get missed and live to a ripe old age. Never to be seen again. Not too many people post the pics down there. But what a heck of time it is.
Stick to the sandhills, pick up the track,,, walk'em up and be quick. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I will be bow hunting by the way. I love how members of this site will help a NR out. That doesn't always happen. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Mitch

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom