Dessert Bighorn HELP

cast_n_blast

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-14 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]I got a call from the DWR yesterday, I am the next one on the list for the 6602 Kaiparowits, Escalante Desert Bighorn tag.

I have 13 points, but I've been doing some research before I accept the tag and I've been told that that unit has been hit hard with cougar kill and there just isn't that many animals. Is this true?

PLEASE, PLEASE if you know this unit send me an Email or call me and give me your thoughts. I have a until Monday to decide.

[email protected]

Matt

You won't draw the tag in the next 10 years your a fool to not take it. Hire a guide and go this is a once in a life time experience.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

If you had received the tag in the initial draw, at this time would you be asking about cougar kills or looking for your ram? Got on with it! You've just been spared decades of applying and given a short cut to the front of the line. By the time your app is drawn again disease could wipe out thousands of sheep, you could need new knees or a hip. Get the picture???

I got a call from the DWR back in december for a depredation tag. I only had one animal to hunt and 7 days to do it and I took the tag and it paid off big time. Take the tag, hunt like hell, and it will pay off!

Trust me if there is a hunt on in Utah, there are plenty of rams. Last time I checked there were about 20 rams on the survey in the Escalante. You only need to find one of them. At one time almost any Escalante hunter had the chance at a 160 class ram. That may not be true anymore but there are 4 or 5 rams in the unit that score between 140 and 170. Due to the terrain and access rams are always hard to find. A backpack hunt in the Escalante is the ultimate hunting experience in North America.

I agree, plus a million....take the F'ing tag and never look back. You'll live a few decades longer and not draw the tag with only 13 current points. Do the math bro and then call them NOW! .....and then call a good guide. (Hint: One just posted above me)
Zeke

I took a minute and called Matt. I found out he's hunting sheep this year and he's talking to all the right people.
Best of luck to you Mr CnB!
Zeke

RE: Desert Bighorn HELP

I'll be hunting Desert Bighorn this year, the tag is mine!

Thanks for everyone that called me with information and posted. It is amazing how friendly and HELPFUL people have been when I talk with them about this tag.

The only thing that I'm feeling sad about is that my son, who is my lifetime hunting partner and has been with me on my Bison and Elk hunts, will not be hunting with me this year because he is on his mission in Japan. I told him before he left that I would draw because he would be gone and wouldn't be able to hunt with me. :)

C&B
Congratulations.
I am sorry to hear your son won't be able to help out, but good video can soften the blow for him. If you are real lucky, you may be able to accompany him on a hunt in your old age, like I did with my son.
I too am hunting deserts this year and I recommend you get your bod in shape as fast as you can. The desert can kick your butt but it's worth every drop of sweat when you find a ram.
I dropped you a PM and if I can help any more, go ahead and reply!
Best of luck my friend. You are facing a real adventure.

Have you been able to scout? Did you end up getting a guide?
Give us an update, we are stoked for you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom