Determining private or public?

M

mtnmayhem

What is the most surefire way to determine whether or not a certain area of land is public or private?

There is a huge chunk of land near my house that is unmarked and unfenced however, I will not hunt it until I know its status. No other locals seem to know either, although I ran into some shady characters that said they chased elk all through this area without knowing whether or not it was public. Awesome terrain with lots of animals.

Anyone know how to find out? I know some maps are available that mark private land but I would like a more official source if possible. County offices maybe?

Go to the County land office and look at the map layout of your OWN property and then look at the area in question, it should state who owns it.

Brian

Those BLM maps are not 100% accurate. They are a good start, but I know of several areas here in SE Wyoming where they are just plain wrong. I get those and also get county plat maps. You can usually get the plat maps at the County Clerk's office. Then get the topog map or the CD of the area, print a larger scale map and color the boundaries on to that map you made.

As said before, go to the county or city where the property is located and aske them for the information. Or you can get the physical address of the property and find out who owns it online through tax records. I'm guessing it is a big piece of property so it may not have a physical address. Therefore, go to the county or city.

Steve

If you have a gps you could mark your boundaries and then transfer those to a map. A more accurate route to take would be to pay a surveyor to do it.

surefire way is county clerk. many counties are starting to put the info on the web.

2nd best and usually 95% correct is the 1:100k BLM land status maps' Just know there are lots of land swaps betweeen public and private ownership and you could be relying on old data.

When in the middle of a hunt, I just trust thre BLM maps for land status unless it REALLY looks non-public.

Thanks, I think I will go to the county clerk first. If they aren't available to give me the info I want then I will try the maps.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom