Dinner is served!!!

M

mathewsman

Well I finally went up and set my baits last weekend. Alot of unknowns got answered, and hopefully next weekend when I go back to hunt, the baits will have been found. This is going to be the slowest week of my life! All I think about is bear hunting. Hurry up friday!
So the menu consists of: 50 pounds of dog food covered with half a 5 gallon bucket of Astro burger grease, a garbage bag of popcorn with a gallon of pancake syrup drisled over it and jello sprinkled in, 50 pounds of donuts, cakes, and pastries with half a gallon of molasis poured over it, 3-5 gallon buckets of 3 week old rotton meat (that hopefully by next weekend will be crawling with maggots), 2 bottles of barbeque sauce, 1 big jar of peanut butter, watermelon, cantaloupe, half a can of sow-in-heat bear bomb, and the other half a bucket of Astro burger grease dumped all over the ground in front of this pile of goodies--times 2 cause I set 2 baits. So to a bear would this be the equivelent of a 5 star meal? How far out can they smell that stuff? Is a week enough time for them to find it? Will it be gone when I go back? The trial cameras will answer these questions, but please indulge me while I sit here several hundred miles away stewing over it!! The unit is definitely top 3 in Utah, so I know there are a ton of bears there.
Any other suggestions for when I go back would also be great. The stands are hung and ready to hunt from. As I was setting one of the baits, I noticed a HUGE fresh pile of bear loaf not 10 yards from the bait, and was checking a spring about 1/4 mile from the other bait and saw at least a 4 inch wide fresh track in the mud. That got me all cyked up!!! I gotta believe they'll find those baits...at least I hope so. I'm gonna stay until either I kill one, or the hunt ends! Wish me luck and I'll give y'all the update when I get back. Thanks for all of the great info. and helping a rookie bear hunter out.

If you build it, they will come!! ;-)

You should be fine, sounds like you put in the work and it will most likely be rewarded!!

Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON May-19-09 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p]Both of my sites are getting hit but only at night. I have same type of bait as you mentioned. The last couple days they have started eating the meat. The 12 days before sweets only.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Kevlar
MDGC0029-1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom