Disappointed in Jakes High Country Archery

400bull

Very Active Member
As many of you may know I have been thinking about getting my 13 year old boy a new bow for his birthday. Last week I decided I would take him down to Jakes to get him sized up and have him try out a couple of bows to see what he likes. What a joke that was. To start things off the salesman took laterally 20 minutes of my time telling me that the state of Ut. Requires a 40 lb draw weight to go hunting. I all ready knew that and tried several times to get him to move on.
Once I finally got him past the 40 lb draw weight requirement he then went on to recommend the PSE Rally (Which was a bow that I had been thinking about anyway). Thinking that we were finally getting somewhere I asked the salesman if he could set one up for my boy to try. In which he kindly replied saying that they don't have a left handed model in stock but for 20% down they would gladly order one in. Can someone please explain to me why I would order one in if I don't even know if it's going to work for my boy in the first place?
After several more minutes of talking, I finally convinced the salesman that I needed to know my boys draw length and what poundage he could pull back before I even started to conceder what bow to get. Reluctantly he goes into the back room were low and behold he finds a 70# PSE Rally. He has his assistant set up the bow to the lowest poundage the bow could go to (42#) and lets my boy try it out. Much like I expected he was not able to draw the bow back. Oh most word for word the salesman says ?Well I guess you will have to come back another time?. Are you freaken kidding me. Needles to say I picked up my stuff walked out of the building and have no reason to return anytime soon.
The only positive I got from my experience with Jakes is that I now know that my boy is unable to pull back a 40 # bow. We went home that day and sat up some weights for him to strength his arm with. He has been using the weights twice a day now to build up his strength so that the next time we head down to the store he will be ready.

400bull

I had a run in with a salesman there also. It was an old guy that only works on saturday. I wanted to punch the guy out before I left. I didn't go back for quite a while. When I go now I call and make sure Josh is there. He seems to treat me good.

Josh is fantastic and Connor is very good as well. I call and make sure they are there before I drive down also.

400bull: I don't know anything about that specific PSE bow but I know PSE makes a great bow as my Grandson shoots a PSE Chaos he is a bit younger at 10 yrs. old. Does the PSE you are looking at come with less poundage limbs? I read in your post that the shop guy had your son trying to pull a 70# turned way down. Is that 70# all that PSE offers in that model bow?

))))------>

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-12 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]Wow what a tough go i hope it does not blow any wind out of your sons sails .Id look in to a bow you can get set way low and let him work his way in to like the chaos or the razer little at a time !!!

As a lefty with the life long dilema of having to buy sight unsean I get your frustration, but what where they supposed to do if they don't have the bow you need? They are one of biggest distributors in the US and if they don't have it there's not much hope in finding it anywhere else.

My 13 year old son just took his first big game critter, a nice 67" buck antelope last Friday with a 50 lbs PSE Chaos set to 44 lbs. Complete pass through at 22 yards.

Josh and Drew set him up with it down at Jakes. You won't find better service anywhere on the front IMHO. You surely won't find any lefty bows to try out anywhere else unless you are incredibly lucky.

While it's unfortunate for your young lefty, it comes as part of the territory. Only about 11-15% of archers shoot left handed and it's simply impossible to keep every thing available in stock for us.

Dig around and see if any of the other shops in SLC or Cabela's have a lefty 25-40 lbs bow for him to try. If not just order a 40 lbs PSE Chaos single cam and go have fun. It's a great bow and deadly when setup by pro's like the guys at Jakes.

Cheers,
Pete

Trophyhunter,

The bow that the salesman was showing me was the #70 PSE Rally. He did have one of the techs turn the draw weight down as low as it would go. With the #70 bow the lowest that they could get it was down to #42. This was still too much for my boy to pull back.

C3,
Here is my problem. In the 90 minutes that I was in the shop the ONLY bow the salesman suggested was the PSE Rally. I even asked about the Stinger and the Chaos. I cannot remember why he would not recommend the Chose but the Stinger he said that he would not recommend it because it was only adjustable from 60-70#. Which is true in you have the #70 limbs. Not one time did he ever mention getting a #50 or #60 bow.
They even had a couple Razor Edges and Bear Apprentice bows on the shelf but because of my boy?s size (5? 10?) he would not even talk about the Razor or Apprentice. I agree that these two bows are too small for his frame but I could not even get him to adjust one of them to see what poundage my boy could pull back. The fact of the matter is he gave me no other choices to even look at.
Later in the week I went to Sportsman Warehouse during my lunch break to see what they had. At that time the archery department was being hammered so they asked an employee that does not even work in the archery department if she could help me out. In the 15-30 minutes I was talking with her she gave me more and suggestions then I got in the 90 minutes I was a jakes. She was the one that informed me that I could get a #50 or #60 Rally that might work better for my boy.
I know that Jakes is doing something right because they get a lot of business. For whatever reason I did not get the feeling that they wanted to take care of the customer. I felt like it was more I am the Pro therefore I know what I am doing and you just need to follow my advice.

400bull

I have been going to Jake's Archery for 13 yrs. I have always been treated well. Sorry for your experience sometimes you catch guys on an off day! I will 2nd the comment about Josh I have spent many hours there and he always treats customers equipment as if it was his.

Sorry for your experience 400bull. The sales people were probably looking way up to your son thinking regular hunting bow. The fact that your kid is 5'10" is a huge factor. Bows like the Chaos only go to 27" draw and your son is past that already. There simply isn't anything in such a light weight as 40 lbs peak with a 28" draw length that I know of.

Guys like Drew, Josh and I at our height :) see a kid that size and would just assume he's going to be buying am adult bow. Especially in the heat of the weekend before or of the bowhunt opener.

I am just a customer and pay for all my stuff, but know your experience is the oddity rather than the rule down there if you ask me.

Cheers,
Pete

I have to agree with most people on here. I have gone to Humphries and they have done a good job. I live in Orem, So I always go to Jakes. JOSH is one of the best guys out there. He takes care of me and my bow. I have been talking to him for a few months now about a bow for my 8 yr old. He has brought out magazines and gone the extra mile to help me out.

That old guy E.Z. Ed is a nice guy, but you have to get on his good side.

I work in the customer service (restaurant), and people do have off days. Give them a 2nd chance. Call and ask for Josh. Hes the short guy in there. He knows his stuff.

Good Luck!

Bows aside, do not have your son lift weights twice a day.

He should only lift weights every other day at the most. You have to give the body time to recover otherwise you won't gain strength ... only break it down. You should probably also consult a doctor or trainer to determine if he should even start lifting weights. If his body is not ready for it, you could cause a lot of damage.

BradN- you ought to go try humphries archery in american fork or payson utah they will take care of you and for the right price too. i have been to many other shops in my day and by far i wouldnt go anywhere else just ask for Kolbey he will take great care of ya for your son and they are very knowledgeable about there stuff

I don't bow hunt and I have never been in the place, but with that said. You are the customer. If you have to "get on their good side" for help, that is a place I would never go back to. There are plenty of guys who will bust their butts for your business and I am sure there are guys on this site that will give the service that you deserve.

Probably should share your experience with the shop owner. Then, determine if you will do business with them only if there is someone else to help or not at all.

As stated above, lifting can help your son a lot in terms of strength and endurance, but it has to be done right. Unless he has some kind of condition he is plenty old enough to work out. Some of our coaches are doing weights programs with 10 and 11 year olds that are are interested, but it is researched based and specific to kids that age and at that level of physical development.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-12 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]I appreciate all the comments that have been given. I will go back to Jakes in the future if the needs comes up. Everyone has a bad day once in a while, it may have been one of those days. Besides that it was not too intelligent on my part to go to an archery shop the opening weekend of the archery hunt. It was just frustrating when everyone tells you to go to a Pro shop to get sized up and to see what fits you prior to purchasing your bow.

I appreciate the concerns with the weight training also. With what he is doing I highly doubt that he will run into any problems. What I did was put a pulley in his closest, dangled a rope over it and attached 10-15 lbs of weights to it. He then pulls on the rope as if he is drawing back a bow. Right now he does 3 set of 10 reps. I agree that doing it daily was not a good idea so I have backed him off to 3-4 times a week.

400bull

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-12 AT 10:37PM (MST)[p]Thats a pretty tall order to go into any bow shop with a left handed big for his age kid. You could just set him up in a kids bow that simply wont fit him anyways or you can order what you need. I also have a lefty. So i know how it is trying to size things for lefties. Why dont you bring your boy down to datus and actually use a bow to get him to the lbs he needs by using an actual bow instead of weights. We have plenty of different sizes he can use. It wont take long and he will be pulling above 40.

Jakes is a great shop!

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

Since your son has never shot before, the last thing I would do is buy a draw/weight specific bow for him. I would get a lefty Mission Menace. Those things will allow you to adjust the weight and draw yourself, as he gets things figured out. You can then sell it on craigs list or pass it on to some other deserving kid just starting out and pick up a higher end bow for him when he's ready.

http://missionarchery.com/product/menace/

Oh, and "my two cents". Having been at the tournament gig for 40 years now and seen bad things happen, start him out close to the target. Have him shoot barebow till he gets used to the "act of shooting". About a week of nightly practice. When you put a sight on, fingers only for a cpl weeks, one pin only and again, close to the target and a decent sized SINGLE spot, so he learns to be comfortable with the pin movement inside the target center while he releases the arrow.
If you choose to go to a release, again start close, NO SIGHT at first so he learns to execute the release without the added visual of the pin moving off the target. When you add the sight, gradually move back and he will learn to allow the pin to float in and out of the dot while he "properly" executes the shot, and he will never get target panic.
The worst thing people/shops do with new archers, is start them out with sights, release, and a target they can't hold on. That is bad bad news down the road.

Good luck and have fun.

Thats why I go to WildeArrow!

Best thing for your son to do to strengthen those muscles is nothing more than an exercise band!

Get him an exercise band from Walmart or where ever and have him draw it like a bow. When it gets to easy double it over or get another one. When I was 14 I couldn't pull my 50lb bow and this was the advice I got. It helped my skinny little arms be able to pull the 50 lbs I needed to.

Godd luck with this dilema you're in.

>Sorry for your experience 400bull.
>The sales people were probably
>looking way up to your
>son thinking regular hunting bow.
> The fact that your
>kid is 5'10" is a
>huge factor. Bows like
>the Chaos only go to
>27" draw and your son
>is past that already.
>There simply isn't anything in
>such a light weight as
>40 lbs peak with a
>28" draw length that I
>know of.
>
>Guys like Drew, Josh and I
>at our height :) see
>a kid that size and
>would just assume he's going
>to be buying am adult
>bow. Especially in the
>heat of the weekend before
>or of the bowhunt opener.
>
>
>I am just a customer and
>pay for all my stuff,
>but know your experience is
>the oddity rather than the
>rule down there if you
>ask me.
>
>Cheers,
>Pete

MATTHEWS EZ7! I shoot 40lbs due to a rotator cuff tear and I have a long draw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom