DIY Africa

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Now that the Holidays are over it's time to get serious about this years hunts. I plan on hunting Africa this year (it's been a life long dream of mine). And I still have a few details to work out. I know I can count on my MM friends for good solid advise. At the very least I want a lion and an elephant.

Please don't tell me to hire a guide. I can't afford it plus I've always been a DIY type hunter.

Do they have good hunting on National Forest or BLM land, or am I going to have to "jump the fence" like I do here in Kali?

Should I ship my 4-wheeler over or can I rent one there?

What's the cheapest way to ship a 10,000 lb. elephant home?

Does anyone know where I can get a detailed map of Africa?

Please share some of your own DIY Africa hunting experiences. Photos would be great!

As you can tell, I've put in a lot of time and effort to make this hunt happen. Wish me luck! Can't wait to hang my elephant tusks on either side of the fireplace!

Eel

eel!!!

WHAT YOU GONNA DO WITH AN ELEPHANT???

OH,IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A GUIDE,I DON'T BELIEVE YOU CAN AFFORD TO FLY THE ELEPHANT BACK TO KALI,LOL!!!

ISN'T THERE A TORTISE HUNT A LITTLE CLOSER TO HOME???

NATIONAL FOREST,HOW BOUT NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC???

THE ONLY bobcat!!! :D :D :D

Steve, the natives will love you (dont tell the wife) when you give them the elephant meat. A friend of mine has shot 15 elephants (6 last year) and the guy is like a king to the peasants. If you are serious, I can try and get some info for you. Just make sure you use your 22 hornet as you blast away at the front shoulder. If you find the hornet a tad big try the .17 bee.....its awesome.

STEVE, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK WELL. YEA, YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF DETAILS TO WORK OUT BUT WE ALL DO. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOO EXPENSIVE, AND YOU'LL HAVE A SWELL TIME. THOSE JASKASS GUYS HAD THE RIGHT IDEA WITH THAT ZEBRA SUIT, IT DREW THE LIONS TO ATTACK THE SUIT IN THREE MINUTES. A GOOD INVESTMENT FOR YOUR LION HUNT, OF COURSE WE WILL NEED ALOT OF PICTURES. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A PARTNER FOR THE TRIP, I DO OWN A WILDEBEAST SUIT. GOOD LUCK, .. YD.

Lance, are you saying the native gals are willing to do some trading for elephant meat??? This hunt could be better than I imagined!

Eel

YD! Now that's the kind of useful info I can use! A wounded zebra call might just be the ticket to go along with the suit!

Steve

Go get'em eel, add a cape buffalo for good measure, name me as your benefactor for good luck.
Guides are for ******.
Try archery.

Africa is definitely a good DIY choice! Be careful along the rivers though - there are many dangers lurking in those waters, but they are also fun to hunt. The mighty crocodile, the hefty hippopotamus, the wary water buffalo and most frightening of all- the Terrible African Plains River Terrapin - the deadliest creature on the planet. The very sight of his shell sends even the most experienced African guides into shock. They hunt in packs too - not only are they the opportunistic scavengers that has recently been reported, but they are intelligent, cunning, conniving, deadly killers. They will hunt you down relentlessly, stalk you, bait you, trap you, and then eat you alive. You will not die either until their stomach acid burns a hole through your skull and fries your brain. The only hope you have is that they break your neck in their initial charge so you do not feel the prolonged pain on their digestive system. Yeah - only the REAL men do Africa DIY. YOU GO STEVE!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

eel....I think G.I. Joes sells Elephant bugles. Not sure if you plan on hunting during the rut or not but one of those could come in handy. Also, a Zebra suit is a good idea for lions.....unless, those stripped horses are in the rut as well. Then you might want to reconcider that idea. That could be painful.

I think if you put the same passion into your hunting as you do your research you will do just fine! Can't wait to see the pics.

WHEN YOUR OVER THEIR DON'T FORGET ABOUT TO LOCAL HOTTIES!
THEY LOVE WHITE BOYS WHO BURN COAL!
RM

Here's my idea, Steve....kill your elephant and leave it...you don't want the meat anyway...just the tusks. The lions will come for a feast. Once they've picked it clean they'll be all fat and ready for a nap then you can easily bag the biggest lion there. Save the legs of your elephant though. An elephant leg coffee table would be kinda cool. Use the leg for the base and put a glass top over it. Very chic.

prev6.jpg

I gotta tell you up front, all my family and most of my so called "friends" have been trying to discourage me from going. They say it's stupid, dangerous, unrealistic, and illegal.

But not my TRUE friends!

TripleK, I like your elephant/lion hunt tactic. And the coffee table idea. That's awesome. You sound like you've done a DIY Africa hunt? I bet you and Roy went together.

I don't need a Cape Buff, but if I happen to cross paths with a Black Rhino.......That's what's so wonderful about Africa. It's a lot like Christmas. You never know what you'll get. (Maybe even a bread board!) LOL!

Eel

Steve,
FYI..............

One word of caution on that hunt, make sure you have "someone" with you incase you should encounter a Spitting Cobra. If you still decide to go alone, be sure and have a pair of eye-goggles to protect your eyes.
If you have someone with you then you won't need the glasses. A sure fire quick antidote for that venom in the eyes is human urine to save your eye sight.

In the book titled "God is My Co-Pilot" the hunter was nailed by a Spitting Cobra and the gun barrer, a local native whipped it out and urinated into his eyes and it saved his eye sight.

Who's your buddy now.

Brian

Steve
No DIY African hunt would be complete without bagging a Goliath Land Toad. Often seen acting as sentrys for other dangerous game, they do present risks of their own including a 30 foot long sticky tongue that is deadly accurate. I feel very fortunate to get a photo of this one without being detected by them big eyes. Good luck!

Rhino.jpg

AntlerQuest Scouting & Hunt Consulting

Brian, being blind isn't so bad.....LOL! You would have to mention snakes. I hate snakes.

Jeff, I know you've been to Africa so I value your opinion above all others! I'll have a range finder to make sure I stay out of that 30 foot "danger zone". But then one quick hop and I could be toast, so maybe I better make that 60 feet! Thanks for that photo.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom