DIY elk hunt

B

BamaJeff

Hey guys. First time poster. I have been reading and studying your posts for 3+ years. I have always wanted to hunt elk and mule deer, but there ain't none in Bama. I am looking at doing a DIY pack in hunt in GMU 78 with an OTC tag. Have been looking at google earth and maps of the area. I am looking at the area south west of Wolf Creek pass. have any of you hunted in this area before? I have never applied, so I don't have any pp. Any info or opinions will be welcomed. Thanks, Jeff

Welcome Jeff,
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Maps are your freind. That area , like most of Colorado, has a good population of Elk. With some hard work you'll have a good chance to get an opportunity to harvest a bull. You probably know, but get in shape. That area is steep and rugged. That will work to your advantage if you're in good enough shape to get away from the crowds. Obviously you don't need PP for an OTC tag so you should be good to go in the license department. How's things in 'Bama ? I used to Whitetail hunt down by Camden. Man, did we have fun. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Yes, definitely get into shape, the rocky mtns will wear you out if your from the east, trust me.

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

Chip, thanks for the welcome. I had some relatives that lived in the Camden-Linden area. Ya'll were in deer country. I have been looking at the statistics on Colorado's DNR website. It doesn't say anything about unit 78 seasons. Is there a 1st rifle season or an archery season or is every season OTC. Yes, I will have to get my sorry butt in shape if I go where I want to. I want to go high to get where people aren't and the elk are. I am doing a lot of looking and studying, but I am sure I will have a lot of questions. Thanks, Jeff

I used to hunt around the Summitville mine. There is a saddle at the top of the Beaver Creek drainage that was always good for us. It's rugged country and gets a lot of snow, be prepared for any kind of weather.

Waygoner, thanks for the info. Did you see a lot of hunters when you were up there? Is the bull quality pretty good? How far from the trailhead are we talking about to get to these areas? Thanks again, Jeff

The saddle we would hike to was about 2 miles off the main road. Typical OTC unit as far as bulls go, mostly 4-5 points with a few 6x6. Hunting pressure wasn't bad, especially if you get off the road a ways.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom