Do Carbon arrows wear out?

W

weehunt66

Curious. Do carbon arrows wear out? If so Why?
What's the best carbon arrow out there?

Thanks

I like the eastman infused carbon st epic. They can shoot through cinderblocks.

After a summer of 3D shoots, all my arrows broke within just a few days of each other, many times on good hits...so I believe that they do wear out over time.

Grizzly

I have noticed that old arrows of mine are not quite as accurate as new ones. Over the years, some of my arrows may have a thousand plus shots on them. Thats a lot of abuse if you stop to think about what that arrow goes through every time its shot. From the force of the bow and the immediate stop of the energy in the target. Not to mention if they hit/slap other arrows, or take it in the dirt a few times.
I think they wear out.

I'm still using an arrow that I've killed my last five bucks with..........absolutely nothing wrong with it. I clean it up, ensure the vanes are still adhered properly, check for nicks, etc.,.......good to go. I'm using Radial X-Weave (Pros) and have had the same dozen arrows for some time now. JMO

BOHNTR )))---------->

The life of any composite structure (arrows included) is dependant on the quality of the fiber used, the resin system used, the surface finish, the number of cycles (shots taken), environment the arrows see during their life and what the arrows experience during use:

Fiber - There are many grades of graphite fiber. The higher the grade the higher the strength and durability.

Resin - There are also many different resin systems. Some have super bonding properties but are brittle when cured, others are middle of the road but flexible and can tolerate a broad range of temperatures (no doubt the ones used for arrows).

Surface Finish - The smoother the arrow is the less likely to catch things and cause even tiny surface scratches - these eventually turn into cracks that kill the arrow.

Cycles - Each shot loads the arrow in either compression or tension (depends on which side of the arrow we're talking about)for a short time. The quality of the materials used and manufacture will have a lot to do with arrow life.

Environment - Use during cold weather or extensive exposure to bright sunshine will greatly effect the life of an arrow. During cold weather every resin system is more brittle - arrows are more likely to develop small surface cracks during clod weather use. Sunshine exposure over a long time can break down the fiber/resin bond and reduce an arrows overall strength.

Arrow use - If you really work on extending the distance you can accurately shoot at or you shoot 3D shoots where you sometimes miss the target you greatly increase the possibility for damaging a graphite arrow which will eventually and sometimes quickly end the arrows life.

I think you pretty much get what you pay for. The more expensive arrows are usually straighter and use higher quality materials. I use Gold Tips which aren't close to the top of the line but they work fine for me.

Whenever a post like this hits, it seems that allot of people all brag about the same "High End" products and you don't hear allot about the others.

In all honesty, I have been using the same dozen Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme arrows (made by Behman) since I started bowhunting 3 years ago. I have killed 5 deer/elk with them and target shoot with the same ones I hunt with. 3 of the arrows have been through more than one animal!

I would agree that if an arrow so happens to hit the dirt or bone or slide down the side of another shaft as it enters the target it can put a little more wear on it and SHOULD be checked, but other than that; my $60 dollar minimal investment is still paying dividends after 3 years of abuse!

?-ERock-> ?

Easton Xaxis full metal jackets
400 grain of smack.
best part they are only 12 bucks each.
Such a deal for pure perfection,

I think if you take care of you stuff it will last. I shoot at dots a lot for practice and I always only shoot one arrow at each dot. No use in packing several arrows in on one dot and slapping shafts or splitting knocks off. If your hitting the dot every time then you know your grouping good.

If I ever do see a nick or splinter in my carbon arrows they go in the trash. I remember seeing a pic on here of a guys bow hand where a carbon arrow shattered on the shot and part of the splintered shaft went through his hand :eek:

Several years ago when I still shot aluminum arrows I had one arrow that I shot 8 deer and one bobcat with. I would just clean it up and put a new broad head on it. The eight deer was a good buck and I didn't get a complete pass through shot. When I found the buck and the arrow it appeared fine, so I thought great, my lucky arrow is good to go! But upon closer inspection it was slightly bent. So I hung it up in my basement like a retired jersey :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom