Dobermans

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
Anyone have one?

I have a cousin that breeds them and want to add one to the family in the coming year.
I just think that they are incredible dogs, athletic, intelligent and extremely loyal, not to mention beautiful.

Curious to know if anyone here has experience with them.

551549_10151518226759203_1949171228_n.jpg

My sister had two, you already know they are great guard dogs, almost too protective of her house when we would visit her.
The other thing, she had to keep all the curtains closed because when they seen a cat they'd go ape-$**T and hit the window full speed trying to break through!
Had to be very careful when walking them on a leash with cats.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
Zigger?s response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
zigger is a great example of a low life pos, that doesn't deserve any help. There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Most of the ones I've been exposed to were too ill tempered. I believe that had more to do with the owners than the breed.

I did have a friend with one at one time that was the nicest dog ever.

One of the junior officers who used to work for me in the Navy had one imported from Germany.

$15K, not including shipping.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-14 AT 00:03AM (MST)[p]I was a K-9 officer for ten years and most of the Dobermans I saw in police work I would put a bullet between their eyes. I watched two dobies that almost attacked their handler in K-9 trials and the third dobie did bite his handler on the forearm instead of the "bad guy". These dogs were from a large city police dept in Northern CA.

I talked to several owners of Dobermans that had problems with their dogs showing aggression towards family members. The American kennel Club in my opinion has ruined Dobermans and German shepherds by trying to breed them for conformation instead of working dogs. My K-9 was a German Shepherd that was from West German stock where they still breed them for working dogs and not show dogs.

If you have a good breeder that caters towards the working dog, you can end up with a good dog that is smart, protective and loyal to it's master and family. If the breeder is only interested in breeding for show, keep on walking and pass him up unless you want a show dog that may have a few screws loose upstairs.

Most breeders here in the states are looking for the perfect show conformation dog and there has been too much in-breeding while looking for that perfect show dog that will win show trials. They do not care about the dogs temperament. also a lot of the American German Shepherds have hip problems and the Germans will put down their dogs that show to have hip problems and not breed them, and the American breeders will not in most cases and still breed them.

RELH

As a veterinarian, I rarely saw a mean Doberman. In my experience, they make great family dogs and I can't remember an incident where a child was bitten. I would rather have a dobie walk in the door than a Chihuahua. As with most breeds, you have to look at the parents and see what they have been bred for (protection vs. pet) and go accordingly

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Sorry to hear that HH! The only dogs that i have been seriously bit were both by different Dobermans. Sneaky bastages, they wouldn't bite me while i was head on, instead both cases, they waited until i had walked past and then snuck in and bit me from behind.

You get what you want but being that you asked, IMO, this world would be a better place without dobermans!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-14 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]I've only had experience with one. It's a real good dog. A buddy has it and also has two small kids aged 3 and 5. I've never seen any type of aggression, just a real kick back dog. It's an inside dog and even sleeps in the kid's bedroom.

I can understand the concern of others. This dog outweighs the 3 year old by quite a bit. When I'm over there, I play and wrestle around with it and I can really feel the strength he has and I'm 6' and kind of fat.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I appreciate the responses, both the good experiences and the bad.

Still researching possibilities, but will take your input to heart.

Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-14 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]To hell with the dobie's...get your self a weim AND GSH and enjoy the love and loyalty..

"Sometime's i drink water to suprise my liver"

Got treed by a dobie when I was in the service. The owner kept yelling "He won't bite", but he couldn't get him to stop coming at us. I'm glad a tree was close by. I guess he'd never heard of a leash. I've also been around mellow Dobermans.

Not a fan. I recommend an Airedale!

I have a dog that is the most loving, loyal thing I've ever seen but she only weighs about 25lbs (Rat Terrier) she would give her life defending me, but she can only do so much.
:)
We live out in the hills and there have been a number of break- ins and thefts on neighboring properties, having been a victim of crime in the past (truck stolen) that feeling of violation never left me, out in the country there isn't anyone that's going to hear my windows breaking or my little dog barking.
The feeling of security that a more imposing dog brings is comforting when you're away from the house.
As a kid I grew up with German Shepherds and looking at multiple websites including those of insurance companies, Shepherds inflict more documented bites than Dobies, perhaps due to their popularity and sheer numbers, but I never saw any bad traits from our dogs growing up.
I like the looks and athleticism of the Dobermans and the fact that they have a very sleek coat that doesn't shed much.
On the other hand, I don't want a dog that absolutely terrifies every person that comes to visit or that would put kids at risk.
Like most big imposing dog breeds, it seems there are lots of owners that defend their dog of choice endlessly, and those who despise the breed based on their bad experience with it.

HH you are asking a lot for the dog you want. You want it to protect your property, but don't want one that terrifies people that may visit. That is opposite poles for a untrained dog. To get that you have two options. Invest several thousand dollars in a fully trained guard dog that will know when to bite and not bite. Or fence in yard and install a territory strong dog inside the fence to prevent anyone from trespassing inside that fence and post guard dog signs and hope some idiot does not ignore the signs and gets his butt chewed off.
When I had my K-9, people would not believe the dog was attacked trained as she was very friendly and also very protective of small children. She could be up in your lap licking your face and if I gave a verbal command or hand command, she would rip you to shreds in a split second. she saved my bacon many times on the job and was very protective of my family. In ten years on the road, she never had a bad bite, all were justified on my command or self defense. The cost to have a dog that well trained, along with tracking and building searches exceeded 7 thousand dollars 20 years ago.
If you want a dog that will protect the property, you are going to have a dog that may end biting someone visiting unless you take good precautions to prevent a unwanted bite. You may want to also to increase your liability insurance to several hundred thousand dollars.
Most of the time just having a large dog that will bark at strangers is enough to deter anyone wanting to break into your home. Most people have a greater fear of a dog then they do a armed homeowner. The bigger the dog that barks, the greater the fear they have.
RELH

I'd put them in the same class as a Rottweiler!

Some are Mellow!

And some need Shot!

I'm around different Dogs everyday!

You just can't tell what a Dobbie is Thinking/going to do until it's too late!

As a few mentioned above:

This goes for any Breed!

"Owners Famous Words":

Oh He won't Hurt/Bite you!

Uh huh!

I've seen Dobes that were Good Dogs & I've seen Dobes that needed a Bullet!

Ya Gotta Remember the Breeder!

There Ain't a MUTT nowhere worth getting a Kid or any Person Chewed up!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

HARRY..........I HAVE KNOWN ONLY 2 DOBERMANS IN MY LIFE WELL. THEY BOTH DIED BY THE HANDS OF THEIR NEIGHBORS FOR AGRESSIVE REASONS. YOUR SITUATION SHOULD BE A GOOD ONE I WOULD THINK. TAKE CARE....................YD.

Harry, I was in the same situation as you. We had several break-ins in our neighborhood. I contemplated on getting a dog, and after much thought, I ended up getting an alarm system instead. It cost about $1100 completely installed.

All the perimeter doors and windows are armed, as well as interior motion sensors in case someone gets past the doors or windows. It has a battery back up in case we lose electricity. The alarm is so loud that you can't stand to even be in the house when it goes off. It came with signs that announce to everyone that we have an alarm system. We've had it for over 10 years now and so far no one has attempted to break in. They see the signs and move on to an easier target.

It doesn't need to be fed, cleaned up after, or taken to the Vet. It doesn't bark at cats, other dogs, butterflies, neighbors, or howl at the moon:) I never have to worry about it biting someone and getting sued either.

Just something to think about.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom