Does and Cow hunts

HullinPhx

Very Active Member
Just trying to get peoples opinions. I personally have never hunted for does or cows. I know a lot of people do and I understand that it is good for the herd for Does and Cows to be killed. My question is to those of you hunters that do, when you are hunting these animals do you take into consideration if they have fawns or calves with them at the time? Are you hunting these animals because they are easier draws than Bucks and Bulls? Are you doing it to put meat in the freezer? Are you doing it just to be in the woods and able to hunt?

Not all cows and does have young with them. It is up to the hunter to watch and look for barren females. Some probably just blast the first doe or cow that walks into view but I suspect that most hunters do not fit into that mold.

Meat in the freezer is a plus, I havent been able to me a really good antler soup yet.

They aren't that easy to hunt either. I tried with a bow last fall and with all the eyes in that herd of does I never could get close enough for a shot. Same goes for cow elk with a bow as well.

Rather be out hunting than inside growing old.

I will always shoot a calve not the mom. The meat is the best in the world!!!

mule.gif

NBJB

Definetely looking to make sure there are no fawns or calves around, can't always be sure but you got to at least make the effort. Meat in the freezer and time in the woods! What else can you ask for!

Good questions/discussion John.

I'm going on an archery cow hunt in 6A this weekend. Why hunt cows? For me, it is mainly due to the final point you made. I just love to be out in the woods chasing critters! :) I went on my first archery cow hunt last year (actually, first archery elk hunt of any kind...), and I had a blast. I found it challenging & VERY exciting, and I ended-up getting a nice yearling cow (which kind of address's your other point...). That's why I put in for an archery cow tag again this year. Sure I would LOVE to stick a big ol' bull, but for now I'm getting enough kicks out of chasing cows around and it's easier to get drawn, so I figure what the heck...

Regarding your first question, I don't think I would shoot a cow that I know is nursing a calf. If they're not nursing though, I don't really see an issue with it. I don't think I'll have that problem though, because it seems like most of the elk are grown enough to be off the teet by the fall hunts.

Wish me luck this weekend! ;-)

S.

Thanks for your opinions guys I thought that this would be the case, I just never knew for sure that is the reason I threw it out there. Stan good luck in 6A this weekend. Should be lots of elk out there

John

I've considerd this and my internal reasons were basically like the rest of you. I enjoy being out in the woods and it's dam hard to get drawn for a Bull tag. Obviously meat in the freezer would be nice. While I have all the right intentions I'm still a little hesitant...

JG >>-------->

In ND if you want to hunt muleys in a good area, the wait for a tag is usually about 4-5 years, and if you don't draw a buck first choice, you probably won't get one. So on years that I don't get a buck tag, I'll usually get a few doe tags, there's always doe tags left that don't get issued - so I try to do my part to help control the population, put some meat in the freezer, AND I still get to hunt-which is the best part. There is something that bothers me about people in my area that will only shoot bucks though, some of them will shoot ANY buck including very young deer - but they won't shoot does. They shoot this litttle buck and throw the horns on the roof or something, why shoot the buck if you aren't gonna do something with the horns, they could have just as well shot a doe to help control the population and left the buck to grow up. I don't know if anyone else feels this way or not.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

One year I had an antlerless elk permit for Idaho unit 10, first morning came around a knob and looked up through an opening in the timber and saw an elk quite aways up the hill, looked at it through my scope and saw it was antlerless and also a long ways out. Then looking over the rifle saw that there was another elk there as well, it was the first elks' mother, still a long ways out. debated for a second or two and decided to pass. That country gets tough winter, and those elk have to migrate a long ways to winter range, thought that the calf would have a better chance making it through winter if it was still with mom. Didn't see any more elk on the trip, had tag soup and no regrets.
However when encountering a herd of elk, many times its pretty hard to tell which cow has a calf, if the calves stay with the herd they would probably do fine anyway. IMO

Agree with all of the above. I too worry about does or cows with little ones, but wouldn't the appropriate game agencies not allow hunting seasons for does or cows if the little guys weren't weaned yet? Seems our fish and game would be smarter than that.

>Just trying to get peoples opinions.
> I personally have never
>hunted for does or cows.
> I know a lot
>of people do and I
>understand that it is good
>for the herd for Does
>and Cows to be killed.
> My question is to
>those of you hunters that
>do, when you are hunting
>these animals do you take
>into consideration if they have
>fawns or calves with them
>at the time? Are
>you hunting these animals because
>they are easier draws than
>Bucks and Bulls? Are
>you doing it to put
>meat in the freezer? Are
>you doing it just to
>be in the woods and
>able to hunt?

YES

There is something
>that bothers me about people
>in my area that will
>only shoot bucks though, some
>of them will shoot ANY
>buck including very young deer
>- but they won't shoot
>does. They shoot this
>litttle buck and throw the
>horns on the roof or
>something, why shoot the buck
>if you aren't gonna do
>something with the horns, they
>could have just as well
>shot a doe to help
>control the population and left
>the buck to grow up.
> I don't know if
>anyone else feels this way
>or not.

I totally agree with you. If you're going to shoot a spike or two point buck, you might as well take a doe. When I was 12 on my first hunt, I passed on a spike because if worst came to worst, I knew that I could always take a doe the next day. I ended up getting a 15" wide two point.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I won't hesitate to kill a cow or doe if legal. I hunt for meat not antlers at this point. I don't give much consideration to whether they have young 'uns or not. Often a lone cow or doe can have a calf/fawn that you don't see. Unless it was born late, they can get by without their mother by hunting season. As stated above, if you want the best meat in the world, shoot a calf elk.

I've hunted Big Game for 35 years now and in all that time I just shot 1 Whitetail doe and 1 cow Elk. I guess its just my personal pref that I think the females should live and make fawns and calves. And I've read a lot on the Game Biologist's opinion of keeping the herd healthy and I don't agree on a lot of it. If it comes down to the wire Elk Hunting I always shoot a Spike. They are just like a steer. Plus my feelings on the antlers is that's your personal Medal of Honor for the hunt well done.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom