does in unit 99-7

nooch

I've done a bit of research for unit 99-7 antelope doe permit but i am still unsure of how much public land is in this unit to shoot a doe. any help would be appreciated. Thank You

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-13 AT 06:44PM (MST)[p]Looking at that unit on my CD-ROM it doesn't appear like there is that much accessible public land west of the highways that tag is good for, so you'll need to get good maps and possibly contact the G&F to see if they have a list of ranchers that will allow you access to shoot a doe.

Thank you very much for the information . Can the G&F send me that list? And can they send a map of public and private land for that unit? I am a non-resident from utah. So I will take any information I can get. Thanks for the help

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-13 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]I believe the G&F Offices can email you a list of ranchers if they have one. Call the Office nearest hunt area 99 that's in this link: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/wgfd-1000346.aspx

You'll need to order a BLM map and to do that you'll need to know the map name to order for the particular area you want. The BLM maps show land ownership by colors for BLM, state, and private properties. Here's a link for them and you can buy what you need online for around $12 shipped: http://plicmapcenter.org/WY/

Because WY law does not require any posting of private land, you NEED a GPS IMO. A Garmin Etrex 20 with the huntinggpsmaps.com WY land map will show you public/private and save your skin because that unit is nothing but a checkerboard of BLM/Private.

1718capturesdasd.jpg

Travis is spot on about having a GPS with the map chip since the paper map I mentioned is just really the starting point to have a legal hunt when you are in a unit with such a big mixture of private/public lands like yours. Any newer Garmin unit that will take a chip will do. The chips were $100 per state, but now they are coming out with regional ones that have up to four state pser chip, which makes it a lot more palatable. I have a Garmin Legend HCx that was only $153 shipped from amazon.com last year and I don't leave home without it and the Wyoming chip!

ok great. Thank you very much for the help. i will definately be looking into those things to help on my hunt. I hope i can find some land to kill one. It looks and sounds like it might be tricky> I guess if anyone has any areas or pointers they know about it let me know. You all are very helpful thank you.

Topgun,
I was getting close to buying a $100 chip for a state. Where have you seen the 4 state chips for the $153? Thank you.

As far as hunting 99 for does, try the late season time which i believe is towards the end of October. It seems as if the Antelope spend a little more time on public ground.
Good luck.

I got the same tag for my wife as she finally decided to hunt this year and some other options fell through. I will get the WYO chip as I already have the Utah one. I saw something about there being a public meeting for walk in access around the first of august held by the f&g. Does anyone know anything about it?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-13 AT 07:58PM (MST)[p]>Topgun,
>I was getting close to buying
>a $100 chip for a
>state. Where have you seen
>the 4 state chips for
>the $153? Thank you.
>
>As far as hunting 99 for
>does, try the late season
>time which i believe is
>towards the end of October.
>It seems as if the
>Antelope spend a little more
>time on public ground.
>Good luck.

***The $153 you mentioned is what I paid for my Garmin Legend HCx. The company we're talking about now has some chips with 2 or more states on it. The one with Wyoming also has Idaho and Montana on it and they are $99.99 like the original ones were for just one state. Click on the link below to check these chips out.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/store/gps-maps?cat=123

I do not have access to a fancy GPS like that. Will it be a challenge to find places to hunt without it? Or am i just over thinking it? just for a doe......

Colt,
I am pretty sure the local Game Warden or Biologist for that area will give you some names & phone numbers of local ranchers that will let you hunt doe antelope free. It has worked in the past for me. Most ranchers with irrigated fields consider antelope a nuisance. Especially on a year like this with very little water in a lot of places.

Bill

I had the all 99 doe tag last year and drove through th 99-7 side on my way home. Tough access from what I saw and I was stopped and checked twice and saw one other warden in one weekend.

Thank you all for the information . It is very helpful . It looks like I'm going to have to definitely do my homework and find some public land. Or contact a farmer who will let me get access to shoot a doe. I sure thought it would not be this tough just for a doe. I guess that's what I get for thinking... Thanks everyone... If anyone else has advice or tips or information I will take it. Thanks!

That means next year let me have this tag!

You definitely need a gps on this hunt with the chip. No other way around it. Even if you get access to a farmer's property, you always want to make sure you are still on his place. It all gets messy out in the sage flats.

Good luck!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom