Doing the right thing… But posses!!

elks96

Long Time Member
Ended the year on a very sour note… Early morning bathe season (1st week of September) my wife got an archery bull. With plenty of meat in the freezer I was trophy hunting. Through archery I passed on several east small bulls. Killed a good buck with my rifle, but still passed on shots of lesser bulls for n the rifle.

Last weekend was to be the end of my hunt. Saturday at mid day I am glassing and see a group of elk eat off the mountain and down in the flats. No other vehicles around them and they were bedded. So far away could not tell what they were. So I hammer on the truck trying to get to the ek before they get blown up. Get down to where they are a white truck is sitting there watching them and a hunter is sneaking up. I talk to the guy says it is “her first elk”. Despite the elk being well with in my legal range I back out and tell him I will let them be and try to get in front of the elk. So back into the truck I go, drive up and guess where they might be. I guessed wrong. The girl never got a shot but was on the group of bulls at least twice. At least one bull was over 300 and the rest were decent branched bulls. I follow the bulls across the flats for miles and they never stop until they made it into private. No big deal.

That after noon I head back up higher to glass. At 5ish I am down a ridge and hear all he’ll break loose above me towards the main road. Sounded like a small army battle. Then silence. I get in the truck start my way back up to the main road. As I move up there is a small elk calf laying in the Sage with it head up 70 yards off the road. I easy my truck up and the calf gets up and attempts to run. The front right leg was destroyed just below the knee.

I get out, and hear the second great battle as the hunters must have caught the herd again. Meanwhile the calf lays down and leaves me just a head shot. Since my tag was an any elk I take the calf.

I have only had a few times where I clean up someone else’s mess but this one really chapped my hide. The ATV and the other hunters never came back to check for any sign, when they shot it was 3-4 guys and probably 15-20 shots the first time. Second time was similar but because the elk were in a canyon they got off even more shots.

They never back tracked. Never came back.

Good job I guess but I read a lot of “ in and out of my truck” action that leads me to believe that you might be part of the problem of chasing elk around with your vehicle.

Watched some guys shoot off the truck roofs while ice fishing a couple years ago. One finished his crippled cow with 8 rapid fire shots from pistol.
Rough to witness.

We did that last year on a youth antelope hunt that was ES (buck or doe) on a very immature buck (fawn) that someone shot earlier in the day and destroyed the lower right front leg just above the hoof, basically the lower portion was dangling by skin only.

Zero chance they couldn't have realized they didn't hit it. What happened is some other kid was shooting at a group running by and hit the fawn. They left it and moved on.

Sorry about that. You did the right thing, and you'll probably like that calf meat. Too bad this stuff isn't witnessed more by fish and game.
Yeah. I never actually saw it either, just heard it and found the aftermath. I know it was a side by side by sound, and I know the fired a ton, not sure what all they got, but they hit at least one calf… I have never shot a calf and it felt so wrong. I have taken yearlings, but not this little.
Good job I guess but I read a lot of “ in and out of my truck” action that leads me to believe that you might be part of the problem of chasing elk around with your vehicle.
chasing around elk? Seeing elk from 7 miles and driving to them is chasing? Sorry but never once did I bump or run any elk. The unit is completely full of roads, it is just how the unit is, but that does not mean you shoot a volley of shot at a herd and never follow up on the shot? Never check for blood also never would i chase elk down with my truck, shoot from my truck etc. I was perfectly fine not taking an elk and would have much preferred no elk at all to shooting the calf.

The problem was slob hunters who had no idea which elk they were shooting, or if they actually hit an elk, and the excessive number of shots taken. Never once have I needed more than 2 shots to kill. And at no point in my hunting did I empty my gun… Reload and keep shooting… yes I was using my truck to cover ground, but in some units that is just how it is.

We did that last year on a youth antelope hunt that was ES (buck or doe) on a very immature buck (fawn) that someone shot earlier in the day and destroyed the lower right front leg just above the hoof, basically the lower portion was dangling by skin only.

Zero chance they couldn't have realized they didn't hit it. What happened is some other kid was shooting at a group running by and hit the fawn. They left it and moved on.
Yeah I don’t know how they did not know. However, there were multiple shooters shooting and who knows who shot what. They gave chase again and dropped into a canyon and shot a ton again.

I appreciate what you did instead of letting that calf suffer and go to waste. Doing the right thing I hope takes away some of the sting of shooting a calf. I wish there was a way to educate more people about ethics of hunting but some would choose not to follow it even if they understood it.

These F'N Flock Shooters need their F'N Licenses Pulled for about 50 Years!

But This Kinda BS Happens!

You hunt Long Enough!

You Spend Enough Time in the Woods!

You'll Grit Your Teeth & Put Your Tag on Something You Had Nothing To Do With!

By Far Better Than Letting it Suffer & Spoil!

It Ain't a Good Feeling!

But I Honor you For Doing The Right Thing!

Ya,I've been There!

Opening morning deer rifle. Watching deer in hay field. Dude pulls in next field over, headlights on. Gets out, walks over to wheel line for a rest, dumps a deer in the neighboring field. My boys and I are arguing about if any of the 20 or so we're a buck. Dude walks back, gets on his truck, pulls out.

We figured he was coming into the field so we didn't pay attention, and kept trying to see horns on dead deer. Eventually the deer in the field filter past us with a tiny forkieamong them.

Looked into the field, no truck. Dude bailed.

Told DWR, he told us later he knew a local family wanting meat, and they were happy to go get it.

We figured he missed the forkie in the herd, and hit a doe which could happen.

But the leaving it dead, in some farmers field pisses me off. And good hunters getting a bad name because of it really pisses me off

The fish and game here in Idaho let’s it happen, in fact with the never ending seasons this is a new norm everywhere. I think you did the right gesture by tagging that calf.

Ended the year on a very sour note… Early morning bathe season (1st week of September) my wife got an archery bull. With plenty of meat in the freezer I was trophy hunting. Through archery I passed on several east small bulls. Killed a good buck with my rifle, but still passed on shots of lesser bulls for n the rifle.

Last weekend was to be the end of my hunt. Saturday at mid day I am glassing and see a group of elk eat off the mountain and down in the flats. No other vehicles around them and they were bedded. So far away could not tell what they were. So I hammer on the truck trying to get to the ek before they get blown up. Get down to where they are a white truck is sitting there watching them and a hunter is sneaking up. I talk to the guy says it is “her first elk”. Despite the elk being well with in my legal range I back out and tell him I will let them be and try to get in front of the elk. So back into the truck I go, drive up and guess where they might be. I guessed wrong. The girl never got a shot but was on the group of bulls at least twice. At least one bull was over 300 and the rest were decent branched bulls. I follow the bulls across the flats for miles and they never stop until they made it into private. No big deal.

That after noon I head back up higher to glass. At 5ish I am down a ridge and hear all he’ll break loose above me towards the main road. Sounded like a small army battle. Then silence. I get in the truck start my way back up to the main road. As I move up there is a small elk calf laying in the Sage with it head up 70 yards off the road. I easy my truck up and the calf gets up and attempts to run. The front right leg was destroyed just below the knee.

I get out, and hear the second great battle as the hunters must have caught the herd again. Meanwhile the calf lays down and leaves me just a head shot. Since my tag was an any elk I take the calf.

I have only had a few times where I clean up someone else’s mess but this one really chapped my hide. The ATV and the other hunters never came back to check for any sign, when they shot it was 3-4 guys and probably 15-20 shots the first time. Second time was similar but because the elk were in a canyon they got off even more shots.

They never back tracked. Never came back.
Elks I had the very same thing happen to me down in Dolores years ago. I watched these guys shoot at maybe five elk running through the trees and all they dropped was a calf.
I walked over to them and asked why they shot a calf they said it is good eating. They gutted the elk and left saying they would be back to tag it and take it out.
The next week I was hunting the same area and there was the calf still laying over the log where they left him.
I told my buddy I'll tag it I don't want to see that meat go to waste. Wished I had looked harder at the truck they were in I would have turned them in to the F&G.
It was good eating but not what I was hunting for.
These guys are not sportsman they are the reason that the public views hunting so bad.....
You did what's right I applaud you for that.... not right leaving an animal to suffer like that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom