Donating Blood

completesportsman

Long Time Member
I tried to for the first time this evening....I passed out!

What a weird experience. The nurse stuck me and the next thing I remember was about 6 people standing over me, a big fan blowing on me, and smelling salts under my nose.

What a wuss I feel like. I will try again.

Don't worry it happens to lots of people. Funny thing is a lot of nurses can draw blood, but they hit the floor when they are on the other end.

I know someone who had that problem. They finally said thanks but no thanks. I guess the cost benefit was not in their favor. It's a curse really.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Completesportsman its all good , and you can add me to the wuss list .

The last time I gave blood was a while ago , and I guess I just blacked out . From past experience I knew that I shouldn't look at the needle or my blood .

I have this little , hottie , blondie , naughty nurse that is flirtin with me bad , and in my mind I'm thinkin " sweet , I'm baggin me a nurse " . It's all goin pretty good with me not lookin at the needle or blood , but I glanced over at hottie and notice some cleavage . I gawked a bit too long , and then looked down at my arm and my blood escaping . Thats all she wrote , and the nurse said I just turned ghost white and then it was lights out .

The nurse was fussin over me when I woke up , but I figured that was the end of that , I mean how could I recover from that wuss move . LOL

I can look at other peoples blood , guts , brain stuff , and all kinds of other nasty stuff all day long , it just can't be mine .

I have never passed out donating just blood, but I have donating plasma. I was going to college and it was pretty good money. The girl put the needle in my arm and about 10 minutes later I had a tennis ball sized swelling filled with blood on my arm. They pulled the needle, and I passed out and started to kick and stuff. I had no control of my body, and it freaked me out. They gave me lots of Gatorade and Rice Crispy treats until I felt better, and then they let me go home. I stopped donating plasma that day, and I am scared to death to donate blood now. That was about two years ago.

I use to donate blood on a regular bases at our local Blood Bank. Then it was getting harder for me when my iron content was low and would have to come back another time. When I finally reach the 5 GALLON mark on records, I quit donating.
Now that I am on Meds all the time for high blood pressure and ulcers I can not donate or give blood.

A local man who has since passed away was the all time leader in blood donation.....something like 35 gallons over a very long time in our county. He passed away at the age of 88 I think it was.
Now days when I have to go have a blood work done, I won't even look at the needle, look at something else like a nice looking nurses "toilet" doing something else in room...LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I did once 11 some odd years ago. I donated while I was in basic training to get away from those yelling A-holes and to get the last cookies and juice I would see for awhile. I didn't pass out then, but every so often I will get light headed and woozy when I get shots. Last time was this past winter when I had to go get a TB test (the one where they make the little bubble under the skin). I got the little injection, started to stand up, and I pitched forward. Caught myself with my hands before I cracked my head on the floor, the med techs got me sitting upright, and I layed down until I got to feeling better. Embarrassing, yeah; but you will get over it.
WVBOWAK

I just got to 4 gallons given I figure it doesn't bother me much and it could help somebody out so why not. By the way I did pass out once after giving on the way out the door so I guess that kind of makes me a wussie.

>I did once 11 some odd
>years ago. I donated
>while I was in basic
>training to get away from
>those yelling A-holes and to
>get the last cookies and
>juice I would see for
>awhile. I didn't pass
>out then, but every so
>often I will get light
>headed and woozy when I
>get shots. Last time
>was this past winter when
>I had to go get
>a TB test (the one
>where they make the little
>bubble under the skin).
>I got the little injection,
>started to stand up, and
>I pitched forward. Caught
>myself with my hands before
>I cracked my head on
>the floor, the med techs
>got me sitting upright, and
>I layed down until I
>got to feeling better.
>Embarrassing, yeah; but you will
>get over it.
>WVBOWAK

The TB shot made you pass out. You cant even feel that one boss. The military has a heck of alot more shots that should of made you pass out that is the last one i would think. Sorry but thats kinda funny.

There is a mobile blood bank that comes once a month to our work place. I donate once in awhile, no problems passing out.

I did pass out once while donating at a sperm bank though.

Eel

GAMMA-globulin:
A protein fraction of blood serum containing many antibodies that protect against bacterial and viral infectious diseases.

NOW if you got this shot, which you should have while in Basic Trainning in the service......THIS SHOT HURT SO BAD AND YOU HAD A HELL OF A TIME SITTING DOWN AS TO WHICH CHEEK OF YOUR BUTT YOU SAT ON. AND IF YOU TRIED TO SNEAK OUT OF FORMATION FOR THE SHOTS, THEY WOULD NAIL YOU WITH ONE ON BOTH HIPS.....TRY TO SIT DOWN AFTER THAT.

Those shots would make a grown man cry and the bunch of wussies we have here would be crying for MAMA......LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

>GAMMA-globulin:
>A protein fraction of blood serum
>containing many antibodies that protect
>against bacterial and viral infectious
>diseases.
>
>NOW if you got this shot,
>which you should have while
>in Basic Trainning in the
>service......THIS SHOT HURT SO BAD
>AND YOU HAD A HELL
>OF A TIME SITTING DOWN
>AS TO WHICH CHEEK OF
>YOUR BUTT YOU SAT ON.
> AND IF YOU TRIED
>TO SNEAK OUT OF FORMATION
>FOR THE SHOTS, THEY WOULD
>NAIL YOU WITH ONE ON
>BOTH HIPS.....TRY TO SIT DOWN
>AFTER THAT.
>
>Those shots would make a grown
>man cry and the bunch
>of wussies we have here
>would be crying for MAMA......LOL
>
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

kilo, was that the civil war or ww1

I didn't pass out, I got light headed and needed to be put back in a seared position. My problem was I looked when they did the injection, I think those damn TB tests look disgusting, so that was probably why I had that reaction. I also never know when it will happen, sometimes I am good other times I have that reaction. I restarted my inoculations about 7 months ago and that TB test was the only time I had that happen. Strange how it happens sometimes.
WVBOWAK

Kilo,
I never had to get that type of injection while I was in the service, cause I never had to drop my pants for injections.
WVBOWAK

At least you were giving blood when you passed out. A mobile unit comes to my work and I was in line behind a guy and the nurse asked him if he had ever had yellow jaundice and he passed out. When he went down about three other people people fainted or left the line.

No, never passed out. Been donating since 1985, the year my son was born with a serious heart defect. You can say I saw the need right then. The first few years I donated whole blood, and for the last 20 years, been donating platelets at our local Childrens Hospital. I just went this morning.

Guy's, there is a serious need for blood products. If you can find the time to donate, that would be great.

With the new machines, apherisis donation takes about 1 hour.

Always use to happen every time I gave blood or got a shot. Doc told me its called Vasovagal syncope. Now I always lay down when I get the needle and have no problems.

Vasovagal syncope occurs in response to a trigger, with a corresponding malfunction in the parts of the nervous system that regulate heart rate and blood pressure. When heart rate slows, blood pressure drops, and the resulting lack of blood to the brain causes fainting, sweating, light headness or nausea. In my case its a mental thing that causes a physical reaction and is very common, even among big, burly men :)

I'm guessing it was the gamma-whatever or something similar we got in basic. All I remember was the C.C's laughing their azz off at us. We must have looked like a bunch of weeble-wobbles trying to find a comfy position to sit on. Flippin hurt, I remember that.
I haven't donated since the Navy, but this post has me thinking I need to go.

Wv
You mentioned you never had to drop your drawers. My least favorite moment was when all 80 of us had to lean against the wall and bare our assets. Somehow I got picked out of the group to wipe a swab on everyone's cheek before the doc stuck them. After I got to clean their butt and see their reaction, then it was my turn. Definately not one of my proudest moments.

My wife and I used to give plasma a lot when we were in school. I never had a problem with it, but she passed out a couple of times. I supposed she deserved it considering she'd fill her pockets up with quarters so she would make the weight limit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom