Don't stop on the tracks!

Dad worked on the railroad and some drunk was passed out in his car on the track. At least that was the speculation. They will never know for sure.

Trains always win. I worked on them for 35 years and never saw one lose a fight.
I have a train losing construction story. Or at least sorta losing.

A company that is now gone had a project between Phx and Tucson. I knew several of the old timers who worked on it. This was 50 years ago in the golden age of wild west builders.

They got a 631 CAT scraper hung up on the tracks. When they could see the train coming, the RR flagger who was carrying the warning light panicked and ran. So did the scraper operator.

When the engineer finally figured out what was going on it was too late. They hit the brakes AND the scraper. In the process, the train started pushing the rail out across the desert like spaghetti. To hear them tell it, the dust cloud was magnificent.

The train derailed and it was just a hell of a mess. Miraculously nobody was killed except the company. When my buddy drove up to the locomotive laying on it’s side, the engineer was running around covered is dust yelling “Somebody’s going to f*king jail!”.

A company that is now gone had a project between Phx and Tucson. I knew several of the old timers who worked on it. This was 50 years ago in the golden age of wild west builders.

They got a 631 CAT scraper hung up on the tracks. When they could see the train coming, the RR flagger who was carrying the warning light panicked and ran. So did the scraper operator.

When the engineer finally figured out what was going on it was too late. They hit the brakes AND the scraper. In the process, the train started pushing the rail out across the desert like spaghetti. To hear them tell it, the dust cloud was magnificent.

The train derailed and it was just a hell of a mess. Miraculously nobody was killed except the company. When my buddy drove up to the locomotive laying on it’s side, the engineer was running around covered is dust yelling “Somebody’s going to f*king jail!”.
Did they?

Back before they had short wave radios they sometimes used "torpedoes" to signal approaching trains that there was danger ahead of them and to slow down or stop. It's an explosive detonator placed on the rail that makes a loud bang when the engine runs over it. I think they are still in service for emergency situations.

Okay that one sounds like a draw!

Back before they had short wave radios they sometimes used "torpedoes" to signal approaching trains that there was danger ahead of them and to slow down or stop. It's an explosive detonator placed on the rail that makes a loud bang when the engine runs over it. I think they are still in service for emergency situations.
We had lots of fun with torpedoes!

Did they?
Nobody went to jail for negligence; however several were detained for lengthy questioning. The company was killed and I vaguely remember some insurance lawsuits.

As we all know, the railroads are under federal jurisdiction. How I know that is a story NOT for the internet. I don’t mess with railroads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom