Down to the Wire VC Bull

huntmor2

Sorry guys its a long read but hey there's pictures! LOL

Let me begin by saying I did'nt get one of the monster bulls you guys and gals have been so fortunate to get on the VC in the past but I did get my most treasured trophy to date.

This was my first DIY hunt and i had my oldest son and my wife along for the hunt. I won the lottery and drew the first rifle bull hunt. I decided to go DIY because of bad experiences with outfitters in the past and being a hunter all my life from Louisiana (deer, turkey, ducks etc.) I figured what the hell, I can do this.
1911dsc_0077.jpg

Scouting Day: We could'nt find a spot to stop the truck in our assigned unit where we didnt hear buggling. Saw some bulls, one wide long beamed 6x6. We were pumped.

Day 1: Woke to snow. No snow in Louisiana! Getting to our hunting area was interesting with my wife going nuts in the back seat of the truck because we were sliding all over the road on the mountainside. (no mountains in Louisiana either)
The snow seemed to shut the elk down, sparse buggling and the day ended with no elk sighted inside of 2 miles.

3349dsc_0149.jpg

Day 1 Snow Seemed to shut em down!

Day 2: Day 2 was alot like day one except we heard quite a bit of buggling but could never close the distance on the elk. We got on a couple of raghorns but no shooters. We heard some real promising buggles from what sounded like 5 or 6 different bulls screaming in an area we couldnt access from where we were.

3009dsc_0167.jpg

Day 2 Raghorns Everywhere

Day 3: We devised a plan with the help of Mick and Johnny (Staff at VC best bunch of guys you could ever ask for)to get back into the area where we heard all the buggling on day 2. We hiked into the area which was no small feat for us flatlanders and all was quiet! We had a couple of bulls answer once or twice but they were already up the mountain and we assumed they were bedded. Due to the 1.5 hr hike in that morning we opted to spend the day in that area rather than walk out and then back in for an evening hunt. BIG MISTAKE. Other than getting winded late morning by a bull we never saw and then seeing 3 spikes that afternoon, our day was uneventful.

4174dsc_0163.jpg

Day 3 Hump Day, no luck, panic starts to creep in

Day 4 We drew a new area. Met a guy who was hunting with his daughter and said he was an outfitter. He claimed to have hunted my new area before and offered to help us out. He gave me some sound advice, he marked the route on the map for me to follow with the prevailing wind we had that day and marked areas to check out. The plan worked perfectly, we got in ahead of the elk and they were right where he said they would be.
Seemed like a hundred cows passed our location and the screaming bull was on the way. When he finally showed himself he was a weak 6x6 and I decided to pass. Not sure that was a good decision or that I would do it again but i only had a second to react then the opportunity was gone. There were other bulls that we hadnt seen and we spent the rest of the morning playing cat and mouse with them.

We met up with the cow hunter and his grandson assigned to our unit cooking a meal on the tailgate of their truck. Nicest guys you ever want to meet. Just content to be out hunting and didnt care if they killed or not. They were in it for the experience and they had some insider info for us. They couldnt get a cow in their sights but bulls were running them over. They had seen a big 6x6 every afternoon, told us where to set up and what time he would be out. To easy, right? Yes you guessed it we didnt see a single elk that evening.

Day 4: My son had to fly home for work and had to be in Albuquerque for 1pm. We made a short morning hunt that didnt end well. Got on a herd before daylight and about 10 minutes before shooting light they headed up the mountain and didnt stop until they were on top and at least a mile away. Luckily we found someone to bring my son to the airport for a small fee of course but well worth it to me. I was sad to see him go, i really wanted to kill while he was there but it wasnt in the cards. My wife and I decided to head up the mountain where the elk had gone that morning and we were in elk all afternoon but no shooters. Did I mention all that hiking was wearing us down! My wife never complained but i knew she was worn out and so was I.
4758dsc_0190.jpg

Day 4 Pushing really hard trying to make something happen

Day 5: Myself and 3 other bull hunters of the original 15 hadnt tagged out yet. The advise I got from the VC staff friday morning was to wait until daylight and slowly drive the perimeter of our unit glassing for a good bull to put a stalk on. No luck, it seemed the full moon had the elk moving less and less during daylight each day and there wasnt an elk to be seen from the truck. No matter, thats not my style anyway. We found ourselves on the mountain playing cat and mouse with a herd of elk most of the day. It was very tough going and I questioned my sanity more than once. My wife was convinced I was insane at this point. We had opportunities and if you have ever been in that last day situation, you tend to lower the bar a bit and I had but I still wasnt comfortable with shooting a raghorn.

Last afternoon! Crunch time! I have that feeling you get when you know those coolers you packed are going home empty. Not a good feeling but we pushed on. I think a couple of the other bull hunters gave up and headed home. We headed out with another tip from staff, this time Dennis and Johnny. We got to our area and all was quiet for a couple of hours then we heard buggling in the distance. They seemed to be working back and forth but never getting closer so we tried to close the distance but came to a very steep draw and the elk were on the other side at the same elevation as us. I worked my way around until I found an opening where I could see about 250yrds but it was a very narrow opening. I put my rifle up and just waited. I handed my wife my cow call and instructed her to blow it when I told her to. First cows passed, then a raghorn, all the while they were screaming back and forth. Then finally a nice bull walked into the opening at 230yrds, my wife blew the call, he stopped and I shot. Then nothing. I looked back through my scope and couldnt see a thing. Then my wife frantically says "there he is he must have gotten up". I rushed to get my rifle up and there before me was a beautiful 6x6 and he had it all, its true what they say, "when you see a really big bull, you will know". I said no, I don't think thats the bull I shot and I let him walk. Now I'm really wondering what just happened. Did I miss? Was the second bull the one I had shot at?
When we got to the spot where the bull was standing he lay dead about 30yrds away and the celebration started. He ended up being a nice 5x5 and a dandy of a last hour of the hunt bull for me. I couldnt be happier. That big 6x6 does haunt my dreams though!!

8851dsc_0220.jpg

Last Day, Last Hour of Daylight. Thank God

267dsc_0209.jpg

Just added this photo to show the green grass that was growing in the burned areas. The elk all seemed to be in he burned area bc of this I think.

9225dsc_0214.jpg

Not a monster but after months of preparation and planning then 5 days hiking the mountains this flatlander couldnt be happier with him.

4519dsc_0146.jpg

I little note about the guide that I mentioned from day 4 of my hunt:
The guide told me his name and I thought it was familiar but did't realize who he was until I was back home and googled his name. It was George Taulman of U.S.O. I know, I know, there is alot of negative info about him and his operation online and even on this forum but I have to tell you he couldnt have been a nicer guy. He had nothing to gain by helping me and asked for nothing in return. Again thats just my first hand experience with the man.

In fact I want to mention that everyone I encountered on this trip was helpful and courteous. I read alot of material from NM residents that seems negative toward non residents but I didnt experience that at all on this hunt. Cannot say enough about the VC staff. Mick, Dennis, Berta, and of course Johnny. I would still be packing my bull out if it hadnt been for Johnny's help. The VC is a special place and as far as i'm concerned it should remain unchanged forever.
9029dsc_0151.jpg

Very nice story and pics, congrats! VC is an awesome experience, but not everyone is going to get a 6pt bull, sounds like you had a great hunt. What part of La. you from?

JR

Cant think of a better place to go elk hunting. Had the same experience on a rifle hunt there years ago. Scouting day the bulls are going nuts, and a snow falls night before game day and they all shut up.
Great place for someone new to elk hunting to learn a lot in a little time.
The staff at the VC is awesome as well.

Congrats huntmor sounds like you had a great time and got a bull you are proud, and that's what it's all about.Good Job

Great Pictures and a nice story. Congrats on a good bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks for all the "congrats" guys. Looks like I got in on that hunt just in time before sb196 made it almost impossible to draw a VC nonresident tag.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom