Draw odds better this year

chipc

Very Active Member
Without studying it a great deal it sure appears that the Deer LQ areas had substantially better draw odds this year - especially when you consider the tag cuts. Seems like many guys who are holding points didn't apply hoping things will improve. Might be a good idea or it might not. I guess we'll see. I was one of the dumb ones that applied (and drew !) :>)

I personally think applying and getting to hunt now is worth it. I drew unit 128 deer and feel it was a good choice. I know the quality has went way down the last few years (like everywhere else), but I think it will take quite a few years to rebound if it ever does. I am happy to of drawn a hunt where I should be able to see quite a few small to medium bucks each day. And hopefully have an opportunity to find one in the the 170 to 180 inch plus range. It is better to have an enjoyable hunt now than wait. One of the benefits of DIY type of hunts is that half the fun is in the planning, camping, and having an enjoyable hunt.

Bill

I think tons of people followed the advice of HF and Eastmans and are waititng for quality to be restored. I personally burned my points and am going hunting in 102 if there are any deer left LoL.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-12 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]The exception to that is unit 90 deer, the draw odds went way down this year compared to years past. Might have been some 102 crossovers, either way I was lucky to draw when I saw the odds. It's a personal choice we all have to live with, whether to draw and hunt now or wait for a better opportunity later. For me I believe the timimng on my unit is right. My area has had mild winters the last couple of years and they have reduced the tag numbers the last two years in hope of improving quality. Some monsters are still being taken out there and lastly the unit is all open desert country, my favorite type of condition to hunt mule deer in so I'm all in...time will tell if I made the right decision...either way I'll post up the pics when the hunt is over.

>My area has had mild
>winters the last couple of
>years and they have reduced
>the tag numbers the last
>two years in hope of
>improving quality.

Don't know who you've been talking to, but 90 hasn't had mild winters the last couple years. This year was a mild winter, but now they're dealing with drought conditions. The year before was an extremely harsh winter which is why they dropped antelope tags significantly this season in many of the adjacent areas. At the spring meeting when they were talking about deer and antelope tag cuts, the biologist stated numbers for deer and antelope were down all around Casper including 89 deer and that they received more complaints about quality than they remembered ever hearing from hunters. On the flip side, I did see a 190+ class buck before the season opened last year. Never saw any others even remotely as big as him.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-12 AT 09:47AM (MST)[p]Good info, people living year round in the area, the only kind of people that matter.

HillybillyNv....

I was over there in 102 for my annual look-see in Mid-May.

Lot's a velvet bucks.

So I didn't withdraw my appl. like I did last year.

Glad you drew my tag--haha---

I have no problem sharing some intel with ya.

Robb

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom