Draw odds made easy

Cool sight. Thanks for posting.

Has anyone checked the accuracy of their draw odds?

-Hawkeye-

The simple odds it lists for Utah don't reflect any reality of our draw system at all. It needs to take the number of applicants times their points and then divide by the tags available in the random side after the bonus tags are drawn.

For instance my odds for one of the 5 henrys archery tags with 5 points is over 1 in 1000 on the random side of the draw. Their site's simple odds shows 1 in 97 like the dwr's misnomer they have been printing for 10 years or more now !!!

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-16 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-16 AT 08:59?AM (MST)

Hey Pete. I'm one of the creators of toprut.com.

You are correct in that the Simple Draw Odds column on the overall summary page does in fact show what you are describing. However if you click through to the unit detail, the information in the Random Draw Odds chart is in fact calculated in the "correct" manner in which you describe.

We chose to include the Simple Odds in the summary chart just as an indicator of relative difficulty at a glance (we will footnote that better). It's not perfect, and we will continue to make improvements over time. For now our focus is to stay heads down compiling data but we've got some cool things in the works.

Nice job one the site. Thanks for sharing

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Yes - eventually we will have all western states/species. We had skipped over Arizona initially because the new draw process largely made any historic draw odds info irrelevant for the nonresident. But our intent is to get Arizona out in time for the deer/sheep draw deadline.

We're working on Colorado sheep, moose and goat now. Then our plan is to circle back and do Wyoming deer. Then Arizona and Idaho although we haven't decided in which order.

Thanks all for the kind words - we'll keep at it.

I guess I will be the first to ask if your plans for the future are to make it a pay to play website?

We have no plans of ever charging for the type of draw/harvest information that is currently on the site. At this point we're in build mode hoping to just get some traction and create the best draw/hunt info reference we can. That's not to say we don't have thoughts of eventually monetizing. But charging a subscription fee for draw info is not the path we've chosen to take (not that there is anything wrong with that).

>Under the "Bonus Point" column what
>does it mean when it
>says "None Issued"?

assuming wasn't enough tags for the highest point holder to get one so it went to random draw recipient. If there had been a minimum of 2 tags, one would then show there and 1 would be in the random column.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Very nicely done.
What I saw for NM was spot on.
Wish I would have seen it a week before the draw,lol.
Still happy with the choices I made and the odds.Pretty much the numbers I came up with plus success % added.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom