Draw Points

chrisamx

I was surprised to see X9a now at 9 points to draw? Zone is only a shadow of itself from what I hear?

I was surprised to see X9a now at 9 points to draw? Zone is only a shadow of itself from what I hear?
What zone isn't nowadays?

Gotta take it all in perspective and look at it this way...
Are there other zones here in CA that would provide an better experience for you personally than X9A that require the same amount of points to draw? If not....well, I guess that's what it will cost you to play there next fall.

Just like everything else in our country now...you have to pay more to get less!

What zone isn't nowadays?

Gotta take it all in perspective and look at it this way...
Are there other zones here in CA that would provide an better experience for you personally than X9A that require the same amount of points to draw? If not....well, I guess that's what it will cost you to play there next fall.

Just like everything else in our country now...you have to pay more to get less!
I have 11, but not sure where to spend them is the big dilemma for me. I do archery and would like to try that, however, the hunts are all so early. No easy choices for someone not experienced in Northern areas.

I have 11, but not sure where to spend them is the big dilemma for me. I do archery and would like to try that, however, the hunts are all so early. No easy choices for someone not experienced in Northern areas.
Send over a pm on any units you’re interested in. If your willing to walk a long ways it might be worth the point burn if not then maybe keep building? I never played the point game in california

Do you live close enough to X9a to do a significant amount of preseason scouting? SCOUTING IS ALWAYS THE KEY TO SUCCESSFULLY FILLING YOU TAG!...especially these days.

I wouldnt pay much attention to the naysayers that claim "zone (fill in the blank) isnt what is used to be" ...Why? Because the past doesnt matter when it comes to choosing a place to hunt today. Be confident in your ability to be an apex predator. Hike further, glass longer, be a proficient marksman/archer and dont worry about anyone else. Your expectations for a hunt should center around the overall experience not just whether you will see giant 4+ point deer each and everytime you head into the field.

My advice: Choose a zone that you can put some time into learning and commit to it!

Good luck! -HS

Do you live close enough to X9a to do a significant amount of preseason scouting? SCOUTING IS ALWAYS THE KEY TO SUCCESSFULLY FILLING YOU TAG!...especially these days.

I wouldnt pay much attention to the naysayers that claim "zone (fill in the blank) isnt what is used to be" ...Why? Because the past doesnt matter when it comes to choosing a place to hunt today. Be confident in your ability to be an apex predator. Hike further, glass longer, be a proficient marksman/archer and dont worry about anyone else. Your expectations for a hunt should center around the overall experience not just whether you will see giant 4+ point deer each and everytime you head into the field.

My advice: Choose a zone that you can put some time into learning and commit to it!

Good luck! -HS
You might have just talked me into an A zone tag.....LOL...sh!t....I hope you didn't.

Good luck! -HS
I would say that X9a is the closest premium zone, but it is not close to Mt. Pinos area where I live. The closest is X10 and next X9b.

You might have just talked me into an A zone tag.....LOL...sh!t....I hope you didn't.
I say GO FOR IT! An A-zone adventure could be fun! I just got my B-zone tag in the mail yesterday. Never hunted up there before. Got permits for several blocks of time over the summer to do some scouting. Should be an interesting journey… stay tuned.

Last edited:
I say GO FOR IT! An A-zone adventure could be fun! I just got my B-zone tag in the mail yesterday. Never hunted up there before. Got permits for several blocks of time over the summer to do some scouting. Should be an interesting journey… stay tuned.
Good luck in B, I hunt it every year. Can be most frustrating hunt ever and also most rewarding. Takes time to learn and I don't think ever mastered. If you have an area in mind DM and if I have been there I can at least tell you what I know about it.

Which B zone are you looking at?

I had the X9-a tag a few years ago the fishing is off the hook there so if you draw bring a pole for afternoon fishing.
Saw a lot of small bucks only one good forked buck in three weeks. Fun hunt beautiful area be ready altitude took me about three days to get adjusted to it.

It would have to be a random draw if I could get it.
Then, if it was me, I'd be looking at x-zones closer to home. You can have a wonderful experience pursuing mule deer in x-9a or x-12 with your 11 points....or you could apply as a party with a buddy for a zone like x-9b or x-8. Any of these zones have the capability of turning out quality bucks (which is in the eye of the beholder!).

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom