Drawing Question NR

Pucci

Can you put in for the draw without using your preference points?? Have points for deer which I would like to use later on down the road but willing to take chance in draw without using points.

7 years ago we drew a Area 10e tag for deer and they took our 1 point and it was our 5th choice, so I would say NO.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know if they changed the system after Kilowatt's experience or what but this is straight from the NR application book:

"Preference Points for Elk, Deer and Antelope
Applicants for Full Price Elk, Deer and Antelope licenses are
given the option of accumulating a preference point. By checking the preference point fee option and remitting the proper fee(s), the applicant will accumulate a preference point if unsuccessful in drawing a Full Price license as a first choice. However, an applicant who draws a Full Price license as a second or third choice will retain all accumulated preference points and also earn an additional point. DRAWING A LICENSE AS A SECOND OR THIRD CHOICE DOES NOT CAUSE PREFERENCE POINTS TO BE DELETED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT."

Put in for a lottery type draw tag on your first choice so you don't draw and pick a unit you can draw on your second choice. Remember that they look at everyone's first choice before they look at your second choice. You may have to apply in the more expensive special draw to increase your odds for a decent second choice tag. I haven't really done much research on potential 2nd choice units but I believe there are a few general region tags that you may be able to draw on your second choice. I am sure some of the Wyoming guys on this site would be able to steer you in the right direction on potential units.

Hope this helps and good luck if you decide to apply...

Horniac

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-12 AT 04:29AM (MST)[p]+1' Devin

Nv. offers 5 choices and a unit 10....

I ti spretty easy to get these states mixed up when you are doing 4-5 of 'em in a months timeframe!

Robb

Yea it's a fact in WY if you don't draw your 1st choice you keep a your points. You draw 1st choice and the points are gone.

First off, your PPs are always considered for your first choice if you apply in any draw. There is no way you can tell them you don't want to use them. As stated above, the way not to use them in the draw is to apply for a LQ unit or Region as your first choice that is impossible to draw with your number of PPs based on previous years odds and then put an easy to draw second choice that usually has leftover tags in order to get a tag and not lose your PPs. The easiest way for you to just go hunting without any chance of losing your PPs is not to apply for the draw and wait until the the leftover licenses go on sale in July. Regions C, M, and Y always have licenses left and sometimes others do too. That way you save the $14 application fee they charge you in the draw and you can still buy a PP to add to your others when they are on sale from 7/1-9/30.

The main thing I wanted to do is try to draw a Region W tag on our second choice. Doesn't look like it will happen.

I stand corrected, I was talking about Nevada and this whole thread was about WYO.....sorry.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Pucci---You're pretty much correct on W being out as a second choice, but if you just want to hunt I would suggest you buy a leftover and go hunting. You may find a better area than W and it's better than sitting at home!!!

Thanks for the help. You might be right and just wait till the draw is over. If I don't draw in any other states I will probably pick up a D tag and go hunt. That would be our 3rd choice. Good luck in the draws.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom