Dream Rifle

BigFin

OK, all this talk about rifles has me dreaming. I have almost $1,000 of store credit at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Today I was there looking at rifles. My dreams drifted to some of the high-end stuff. I am seeking opinions.

Every rifle I currently own is a Remington 700. A .222 Rem., .243 Rem, .270, .300 Win Mag. After some trigger work, they all shoot way better than I do (probably shot better than me, before the trigger work.)

Anyhow, the two fantasy rifles I held this afternoon were a Christensen Extreme .300 WSM and a HS Precision Pro Hunter Lightweight(?) .270 WSM.

I had intended to look at a Remington XCR, and did. I liked it, but the weight and feel of the other two caused me to defer my XCR purchase.

My question to you guys - If you decided this was a time to buy the one rifle of your dreams, would you go with any of the above, and if so, which one and in which caliber (I am not crazy about either of those calibers)?

I like the Christensen action (Rem 700 action) more than the HS action (Win Model 70 action).

Thanks for the input.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

If I were to go after a dream rifle it would be a .338 edge made by a guy named shawn carlock out of defencive edge in Idaho. These are seriouslly sweet guns. I would also consider a .270 Allen Mag, made by a gunsmith out of montana named Kirby Allen. He also builds some of the best, most accurate guns that I know of. of the choices you listed i would probably go with the HS Precision. I know that it has the win mod 70 action but they have been known as a very well build, durrable action. I love the rem 700, which I have used on every one of my custom builds, but I am not big on the christensen arms wepons. I respect what they do, but I don't like how lite they are, I am more into the heavy built rifles. My brother has two of the christensen arms guns that he had custom built. He has the .300 ultra mag and the 7mm ultra mag. I don't like bad mouthing companies so I will leave it ath this, he has had alot of problems with them and it has not impressed me at all. Like I always say, it's my money and I'll buy what I want to buy, but if you give me the money I'll buy whatever you want me to buy. I think that the same principles apply here, I only offer my opinion as just that, my opinion.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-08 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p].
I'd go with the H.S. .270WSM.

With Both guns shooting 150 grain bullets, it smokes a 300WSM with anything Remington loads factory. I say smokes, actually the 300wsm gets out the barrel faster but after 300yds, it's all the 270WSM and by 500 yds, not even close. With 180 grainers, the 300 WSM does a bit better but still has virtually the same FPE @ 500yds as the 270 WSM does with its 150 grainers.

The .270 WSM is a beast. Info from "Remington ballistics program", do a google search, neat, easy, and quick way to check out and compare ballistics on guns shooting all the different Remington factory loadings available.

By the way, my .280 AI. kicks more than my .270WSM even though it weighs 3 lbs. more.

Looks like you got a nice collection of rifles already...What kind of optics do ya have? (bino's)? might want to upgrade on them...

just a thought

horsepoop.gif

Good comments guys. Keep them coming. You are starting to sway me.

Bucksnort - I am pretty well set on binos. Almost embarrassed to tell.

Thanks again for your comments.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

The 70 action is the best ever made in my opinion but HS makes their own action. I have a few custom makers I prefer but when I want an expensive rifle but between the HS and the Christensen I'd take the HS every time, a few friends have them and they're a top notch great shooting rifle. I had a Christensen rifle and it shot like crap, maybe I just had a dud but for that money I can do better and wouldn't try another one.

Dude has given you some good advice. I like the HS too but I'll throw another one in the mix for you the Nosler Custom 48 and they carry them at Sportsmens. They are a good quality gun that shoots great. They are available in .280AI as is the HS. Between the two you'd be getting a great gun. HS has been around a long time and builds a quality gun. Both would be dependable, durable synthetic stocked guns that will shoot and are built to hunt. Winchester is coming back out with the model 70 again and they'll probably be carrying them in the early summer just had to throw that in! The HS has a few model variations barrel weights and lengths etc that may give you exactly what you are looking for. With the Nosler you're limited to the WSM's and .280AI and I think they offered the 300WM(don't hold me to that last one.) HS will build it in just about any caliber that's popular and I'll attest to the fact they shoot! The .280AI is a .270 on steroids with a much better bullet selection in a little larger bore. The calibers I'd consider are the .270WSM,.300WM,.270,.280,.280AI for some good all around choices in a go to gun but there are some other great choices around. Either of the guns will be the gun you'll take with you the majority of the time because they're built right and they're shooters.

Doesn't get much better than a Dakota in STW. Short of that I'd get a Sako SS 85 in 7STW, or 7RM (love the classics). Top with Leupold of choice.

I bought my dream rifle, or so I thought. After a ton of research I bought a Remington 700 AWR from the Remington Custom shop in 300 ultra mag. I love the Remington's because every one I've owned has shot great. This AWR is no exception. It shoots 1/2" groups. But it's now for sell after only owning it for 4 months. Why? Because after talking with a buddy that has all custom rifles I caught the bug. When I sell this new rifle I plan on having Kirby Allen build me a custom in 300 Jarrett based on a Remington 700 action that I have. Why would I want to spend twice as much on a custom rifle that may or may not shoot as good as the rifle I have? Maybe it's midlife crises.
Wes

BigFin,
If you like Remingtons and feel good shooting them, then why not stick with what you like. I'm like you, grew up shooting Remingtons so they just feel natural when I pick one up, all the parts are in the right place.

Outside of a full on custom, I was fortunate to just buy a for me dream rifle - you might consider it. Its the new Remington Alaskan Ti model, it has a B&C stock, titanium action, fluted bolt and barrel. Really lightweight, feels good I think and although I have heard lately Remingtons don't shoot as good as they used to - this one sure does. I have a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 on it, went to the range last week and it shoots around 3/4 inch - probably better but thats the best I can shoot.
Oh, by the way its a 25-06, really a fun gun. Really seems to like the 100 grain TSX factory Federal ammo.
They cost too much for a factory gun but I'm happy. Another option for you!

Fin, Is your 700 in .222 for sale? And Wes, What are you thinking? If it is a Kirby rifle in .30, get the.300 Allen Express. Initial loadings had a 200 gr Accubond at about 3490. Cool. mtmuley

WES,

you won't go wrong with kirby building your gun. There is no may or may not about it, if kirby builds it, it will shoot.

I just bought my dream rifle and bought it for my wife... Browning Ti in a 270 WSM topped with a Leupold VXIII 4-14x40 in the B&C reticle... time to go shoot it. She's as excited as me!

If you have $1000 in store credit, aren't you kind of tied to Sportman's carries?

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.

Kirt:

I am tied to what SW carries. I just walked in the door with the new rifle.

I am sure it will disappoint most. Knowing I am the weak link in my shooting set-up, I had a hard time spending more than what I had in store credit.

So, I have a new Remington XCR in .270WSM. Nothing fancy, but that is more my style. Heavier than others I was considering. and doesn't have the MOA guarantees of some of the custom setups.

I left the store with the rifle, new rings and bases, and my standard scope (Leopold 42mm straight 6X), and was only out of pocket $218 after applying my store credit.

You guys have great ideas. Some day, my tightwad accountant tendencies will subside and I will spoil myself with one of the setups metioned above.

All my other rifles are Remingtons. With some trigger work, they shoot very well. This is an action I have spent 25 years shooting and it feels second nature to me.

I really had a hard time justifying $2,500 or more on a rifle, when I have no glaring gaps in my arsenal, and I am only a "K-Mart" quality marksman. I shoot a lot, compared to many of my friends, but still not what I would call an ace. More trips, tags, and applications seemed like a better use of the money I didn't spend on a rifle.

Thanks again for all your good ideas.

MtMuley - The .222 is not for sale. Sorry.

I don't see how you possibly could go wrong with the combo set-up you just bought.

On the first rifle that i ever bought, had a straight 6 put on it, a Redfield Widefield. Kinda nice not to have to keep checking what power your scope is set on. IMO, 6 power is perfect for the country i usually hunt.

Congrats!

I also just purchased ONE of my dream rifles. It is a Weatherby accumark in 30-378. This gun was one I have always wanted and finally purchased. I have yet to take a big game animal with it but did knock a yote out at 550!

I toured the HS Precision plant in rapid city and I was absolutely amazed at their process and attention to detail in making their world class rifles.

My next rifle will be the HS Precision Sporter Lightweight in 270 WSM.

This will be the gun i complete my Sheep Grand Slam with....now if I could start to draw some tags!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom