Drew 4th Moose Tag in 4 Years

BCBOY

Long Time Member
The BC draw was finally conducted this week. I pulled yet another bull moose tag. 4th tag in 4 years. Gotta like undersubscribed hunts. ;) Also was able to pull another fall grizzly tag. Hopefully I can find ol' long claws getting fat on blueberries in the high country in the early season or fishing for Kokanee in the low ground in the late season. Should be another fun season. Who else is hunting moose this year?

congrats, that is awesome! Hope to see some pics of your success!

We have a trip to AK in 2016, our 3rd on up there.
Keep applying down here for Shiras tags but I'd have better luck becoming the first president of Jupiter before drawing a shiras tag :(

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-14 AT 11:07AM (MST)[p]You're too late mntman, I'm the first president of Jupiter! The voting was rigged but nobody complained so here I sit on my throne. ha

Way to go BC, hope to see the pics and hear the story during and after the hunts! I always like your pics.

Zeke

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-14
>AT 11:07?AM (MST)

>
>You're too late mntman, I'm the
>first president of Jupiter! The
>voting was rigged but nobody
>complained so here I sit
>on my throne. ha
>
>Zeke

I am going raise an army of moose drones and come over throw your corrupt non-voting gov't then! :)

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Being an undersubscribed unit it means it will be a difficult hunt. Failure is almost certain but I will have fun trying to fill the freezer. :)

I drew a Moose tag down below you in the Selkirks of Washington. It borders BC, and Idaho. Some good bulls and only 15 tags.

Congrats. That's awesome! You have any pics from the previously drawn moose hunts? Always like to look at pics.

"Being an undersubscribed unit it means it will be a difficult hunt. Failure is almost certain but I will have fun trying to fill the freezer"

How much does this almost certain failure tag cost you?

Hopefully you are rewarded this year. It is time for you and a big moose to wander into the same spot at the same time.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-14 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]The tag costs me $25 and would be purchased regardless for our GOS on spike/fork bulls. The almost certain failure is really hinging on weather. No deep snow, no moose. With the El Nino they are calling for, highly likely snow will be hard to come by this fall. But, weathermen have been known to be wrong before. Even though I hunt undersubscribed units, I have killed 2 bulls in the last 3 seasons, both of which were young meat bulls. My family relies heavily on wild game to supplement our grocery bill. A full freezer is the objective. A moose, no matter the size of antlers, goes a long way to achieve that full freezer. If I find any bull, I will be pulling the pin. I have documented my moose hunting adventures in previous year's Hunt Adventure Challenges here on MM. The pictures should still be up if you browse through them. Here are a couple pics from my last bull in 2012. Not big by any means, but backpacking it out solo, I was happy he wasn't big!
PB030017.jpg

PB030024.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-14 AT 04:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-14 AT 04:23?PM (MST)

$25 rocks!!!

Full credit for finding moose to fill the freezer.

I hope the first bull you see this year is huge like some of the sheds you find. I'm rooting for the best of both worlds for you.

heartshot

Is that the hide you are packing out or a leg? If a leg, do you have laws like AK's where meat has to stay on the bone till out of the woods?

Mntman

Sweet! You guys have the goods up there man...like my bud Kamloops Peter always says when I whine about our relatively limited hunt opportunities (of course there are many exceptions, just speaking generally) down south here:

"You live in the wrong country bro!" :)

Best of Luck brother, and Happy Hunting!

Adam

mntman,
I didn't bother to skin the quarters and left the legs on because of my dogs. They like chewing on moose hide and legs. A young bull like this, the quarters are easy to manage weight wise. We are supposed to either pack the antlers attached to the skull plate or nuts attached to a quarter as evidence of sex. Leaving hide on allowed me to keep the nuts on the quarters and kept the meat free of swamp grass and dirt. I just hacked off the antlers like they were sheds for ease of packing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom