Drew Tehachapi bull tag

Aaron

Being that this hunt is brand new there is obviously very little info on this tag. I took a gamble on it with max points. if anyone has some info I would highly appreciate it. I know its all private. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to put myself with best chance at a good bull with in reason. thanks for all info. My cell is 530 228 3918 Aaron. I have definitely helped many on this site with info all over the west over the years. Hoping to now get some good karma back! haha

Bear Valley Springs has a good and tame herd. Probably best to go at night with archery equipment and night vision goggles if you go for it on the golf course there? ???

s_topTEMP425x425-4259.jpeg
60173f15dab21.image.jpg

Seriously, spend from now until you have to pay for the tag finding a place to hunt within your budget. OnX maps has property boundaries and landowner information. Bust balls on that. If you can't find a place within your budget, might as well get your points +1 back and let the tag go to sn alternate.

Sierra Crest Outfitters
Looked at their website and it looks like you can get a 3 day bare bones hunt hunt with access to 4,500 acres of private ranches for $10.5K...

Also a hunter testimonial on their website from one of the White‘s DIY sheep hunters from last year who contacted them towards the end of his hunt and hired them to help him kill his ram.

Congrats on the tag and good luck on your hunt!

Horniac

Being that this hunt is brand new there is obviously very little info on this tag. I took a gamble on it with max points. if anyone has some info I would highly appreciate it. I know its all private. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to put myself with best chance at a good bull with in reason. thanks for all info. My cell is 530 228 3918 Aaron. I have definitely helped many on this site with info all over the west over the years. Hoping to now get some good karma back! haha
Sierra Crest Outfitters!!

They have a pretty good life. Mild weather with no harsh winter, good feed, no hunting till this year, still light hunting, good and abundant feed, no wolves or grizzly bears, no migration. They are Yellowstone stock that can mostly grow to full potential.

This articles gives a bit of history on the Tehachapi Rocky Mountain elk herd:

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I’m not going to engage in the rich verses the rest of us conversation when it comes to big game hunting, I just want to express how much I appreciate seeing what happens when “systems” manage for mature animals. It this time in history, when there is absolutely not need for anyone, the richest or the poorest of the poor to “need” to kill anything but the mature males and the surplus females of any species, and we manage for the most pounds of meat, ie: yearlings. I think it is a travesty that we can’t allow our big game animals to reach there potential, like these elk represent.

Thank you again for sharing.

I’m not going to engage in the rich verses the rest of us conversation when it comes to big game hunting, I just want to express how much I appreciate seeing what happens when “systems” manage for mature animals. It this time in history, when there is absolutely not need for anyone, the richest or the poorest of the poor to “need” to kill anything but the mature males and the surplus females of any species, and we manage for the most pounds of meat, ie: yearlings. I think it is a travesty that we can’t allow our big game animals to reach there potential, like these elk represent.

I get what you are saying……but I don’t think this is a great example of good management….this is a very protected population with no winter kil or migration issues…ever. Very little exposure to public presure other than gardeners in neighborhoods…..

I get what you are saying……but I don’t think this is a great example of good management….this is a very protected population with no winter kil or migration issues…ever. Very little exposure to public presure other than gardeners in neighborhoods…..
I understand.

Cool to see but hardly anyone will ever get to hunt them. More will die of old age then actually get hunted. I’d rather have places to actually hunt every year, then a less than 1% chance of ever drawing and getting to hunt..

I have no why to know if what you’re saying is correct or not. Let’s say it is. It must be an area that management believes it’s worth the loss to the program. It would not make sense to me, for wise management to let a large number of mature males or females to die of old age, if hunting was their management strategy…… would it? Asking that in all sincerity. Maybe there is something you know that I don’t.

We all seem to argue the extreme ends of the reality…… myself included. There is middle ground, where most of hunter kills can be mature animals……where we have minimal loss to old age death. In a well managed environment most antlered animals live three to five years after they reach maturity. Again, if well managed, I’m betting not a very high percentage die of old age. It is more work for management however, I will admit that. It depends what’s important to the system, in each case. I prefer watching, hunting and killing mature animals, you prefer something different. I believe my preference is a healthier environment, apparently you think something different is healthier…… at least I would hope you do.

I have no why to know if what you’re saying is correct or not. Let’s say it is. It must be an area that management believes it’s worth the loss to the program. It would not make sense to me, for wise management to let a large number of mature males or females to die of old age, if hunting was their management strategy…… would it? Asking that in all sincerity. Maybe there is something you know that I don’t.

We all seem to argue the extreme ends of the reality…… myself included. There is middle ground, where most of hunter kills can be mature animals……where we have minimal loss to old age death. In a well managed environment most antlered animals live three to five years after they reach maturity. Again, if well managed, I’m betting not a very high percentage die of old age. It is more work for management however, I will admit that. It depends what’s important to the system, in each case. I prefer watching, hunting and killing mature animals, you prefer something different. I believe my preference is a healthier environment, apparently you think something different is healthier…… at least I would hope you do.
You must realize this is California you are talking about. A lot of Things here are not meant to make sense??

Look at it this way…..MOST of that herd is on Tejon ranch and they have a waiting list to pay $80k for a trophy bull….times about 10…..way less effort and expense than to cut price and kill 30 bulls a year….

Look at it this way…..MOST of that herd is on Tejon ranch and they have a waiting list to pay $80k for a trophy bull….times about 10…..way less effort and expense than to cut price and kill 30 bulls a year….
Where are the ones NOT on the Tejon? Asking for a friend....

the only reason this zone exists is to stop them from migrating north in Tule Elk ranges.

Am I happy to have more elk tags in California? Absolutely . I just wish the department could figure out ways to make more accessible land . The share hunts are not the answer as their odds are even worse. At this point anyone 3-4 points off max is just burning money unless they hit the lotto.

Still an amazing bull congrats!!

There are a ton of small properties that those elk hang out on. 20 to 40 acre parcels.

With some home work you could figure out how to take one legally with out having to pay those thousands of dollars.

There are some old toads there,, but they are pretty much tame.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom