Driving On BLM Acreage that You Lease

DreaminOf200

This isn't really a hunting question, but figured the guys on here would know the answer. My folks recently bought some property in NM to run some cattle (some deeded, but mostly BLM lease acreage), and my dad keeps talking about taking the ranger out to fix water troughs or fence or round up the cattle, etc. I keep telling him that I'm not sure that he's allowed to take his ranger off the roads to do that stuff, and that if he is caught the F&G may try to take his ranger from him.

I know you can't drive off the established roads when you are hunting, but if you lease the land from the state to run cattle, do those same rules apply? I just want to make sure I'm telling him the right thing, and figured someone on this board probably knew the answer.

Answers here...

[http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...n=div5&view=text&node=43:2.1.1.8.111&idno=43]

You need to find out if the area of BLM land the ranch is in has restrictions on off road travel or not.

Some areas allow off road travel and some do not.

The regulations related to hunting you are referring to were created by the G&F, not the BLM so it should not be relative to general activities related to the grazing lease.

To be sure, call the G&F and ask them.

The rule with BLM leases seems to be pretend you own it. In my experience this includes driving WAY off of maintained roads to tell hunters they are "tresspassing" on your lease. Smart assery aside, best bet would be to contact BLM and find out what is allowed in your area, vehicle regulations can vary a bit from place to place.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom