Drop away rests

muleydoc

I am considering changing over to a dropaway style rest. I have heard a lot of good things about them. Specifically, it may help with accuracy to a degree. My biggest concern is how they hold up in cold weather/ late season conditions? If any one has experience using them in very cold/wet conditons would you please let me know how they worked? Any problems with them "freezing up"? If you have had a good experience with a particular brand/model I would appreciate any input.

Muleydoc

I love the fallaways, I use the TrophyTaker. I have had no mechanical failures but your question about freezing up is valid. Just this year I had my trophy taker stick in the up position after drawing, after that I just kept an eye on it and never had a problem again.

My thought is that all rests have some negative effects from freezing weather. The wisker bisket is prone to having moisture freeze in the fibers I'm sure this would effect arrow flight. The TM style will freeze solid taking the spring motion out. What I am trying to say is I don't think the fall away rest is anymore apt to have problems in freezing weather than the others.

In my opinion the Pro's outway the Con's

I use the nap quicktune 4000 dropaway and I love it. I have put it through all types of weather and have not had a problem yet. the rest is 4 years old ald and still works perfectly. I would definitly recommed it or many of the other drop aways.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

I bought four Trophy Taker rests in June 2001. I still have all four of them, they are bullet proof. I have shot them in rain, wind, snow, you name it. It has performed perfectly everytime I have used it.

Thanks for all of the input. Coonhound are you able to manually check your rest when you are concerned about freezing up. For example, I currently shoot a Golden Key 3-D rover and I can manually depress the forks to make sure the rest is working properly. I would assume this is similiar to what you are doing to make sure the rest is functional. Thanks again for the info. Anyone else have positive or negative experiences with fall away rests in cold/wet weather?

Muleydoc

Yes, you check it the same as your 3D rover except you lift it up instead. You won't be dissapointed with the TrophyTaker.

If you want to try a fall away without the investment you can convert your Rover into a fallaway reletively easy. You just have to make a tiny bracket and insert in under the screw that locks the shaft in place so you have somewhere to connect the cord. After that back all of the tension off of the spring and back load it one detent. To be honest, it worked every bit as good as the TrophyTaker. I think someone makes an after market fallaway kit for the Rover?

I use a Trophy Ridge Guide, but don't waste the money on the Guide Series. The fancy little adjustments just take away from the ruggedness. I tried a Muzzy, Trophy Taker (Standard and Shakey Hunter), and Trophy Ridge. I like the design and quietness of the Trophy Ridge. All the guys (including my brother) with the Trophy Takers are having to add leather and other padding every year or so to keep them quiet. I shoot a LX at 70# with a 28" arrow **** Feather down, and they never hit the rest.

I use a relatively new one on the market call a "Ripcord" .It is similar to the Trophy Taker brand but it also has a removable top piece the holds your arrow in the rest when you have it knocked. You just have to reach down and manually pull the rest back until it catches after you knock up. The arrow cannot fall of the rest even if you tip your bow upside down. Hasn't ever malfunctioned yet.

Steve

That ripcord looks like a good rest. I would be a good hunting rest, kinda like the wisker buiscut because it would never fall off. And with the accuracy of a fallaway that will probably by my next rest.

I have used the Rip Cord for almost a year now on my Swithback and love it, no problems with it either and I have no idea of how many shots. I shoot almost everyday during the spring and summer and about twice a week during the fall and winter months, suffice to say thousands of shots have been through it. I have used and like the trophy taker as well but the rip cord has won me over.

I have a Trophy Taker on my Matthews and it works great. Used it this year.
My brother has a older TT and the only problem he has had is his has smaller forks on his and his arrow kept coming off when he pulled back. But TThas made the forks bigger so it stays better. Awesome rest.

fca2e9e9.jpg

I have the Trophy Taker on my Bowtech Extreme VFT, I live on the westside of washington and rain has never hampered it at all. I hunted late season on the eastside and hunted in upper teen to low twenty degree weather everyday and it never froze or had a problem. A total trouble free rest!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom