drop camp unit 441

happytohunt

anyone know of a pack in service that will take a feller in and drop him off and even come back in and fetch him (freeman reservoir area)...i drew a cow tag ist rifle...thanks...good luck to you on your draw

Because of the public access to units 4/441 not many outfitters than will do a pack service in the area.You can camp along a trail road and hike in almost anywhere yourself.

thanks...do you consider this a suitable unit and tag? I aint afeared of walkin just need to be back in "far from the madding crowd" ...

This is another heavy hunted area,but it does hold alot of elk.Look arround slide mountain and angle springs area,lots of elk in there.I think your tag is good in those areas.

thanks for the elk clues...I plan to head "in=country" Tuesday or Wednesday.. ahead of opening day...had hoped for horses if'n i had some meat-gatherin luck...otherwise ....that's why i will try to be in "mountain shape"...bone 'em and pack em out...again thanks...good luck on your hunt..

My group hunts 4/441 regularly. Some hunt it every year and always first season. In 04 we filled 10 cow tags by Monday, in 06 we filled 2 ES tags with bulls and 8 cow tags by 2:00 Pm opening day. That was with 8 hunters. Last year the 4 that went got skunked. Thats happened twice in 15 years. Lots of elk, just get past people and let them push them by you. We use horses and the only poeple I've ever seen after opening day were on horse back.

We sit on escape routes and IF THEY USE EM ONCE, THEY'LL USE EM AGAIN!!!. If you either see elk run/move through an area or see tracks where they ran, sit where you can cover the area.

My first year I was riding back to camp after not seeing an elk all day and I saw a saddle that had four trails beat to mud through 6+ inches of snow. I asked the regulars about that saddle and they had seen elk there before but didn't hunt it. That was 01. Next day I saw 37 elk before I took my bull and I know of at least 9 elk that have been taken in that saddle since then cause I quartered that many.

I truly believe that the elk that get pushed find trails other ek have used that day and follow the same trails, probably by scent. We have a spot where most years the elk come up the edge of timber and the shooting is point blank. About every 4-5 years, the elk move on the other side of the opening, presenting 300 yard shots BUT if the first herd goes on the other side, they all go on that side. Even hours later. Go figure.

thanks califfelfslayer and rem 308...your words give me more than a tad bit of hope... good luck to you fellers this fall..

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom