Dutton opinions-Archery

ruttinelk393

Hi there. Was considering drawing Dutton this year for archery given the favorable dates. But hear that its not a great early hunt. Would like some opinions from anyone who has hunted it or personally knows anyone who has hunted in the last few years. Thanks so much.

Good unit, some great bulls. Be in sheep shape if you want to hunt it productively. I have personally hunted it 4 times. Without a doubt in 40 years of hunting the most physical elk unit I’ve been on.

Agree with Wapitiwilly- it was the most physical archery elk hunt I have done. Was a long time ago. Awesome bulls and was a great hunt back in 2005. I would say consider going guided unless you have the time to scout it and can hunt the whole season to put the odds in your favor. Great memories on the old Rock Pile!

Last year was so dry, I was up there Labor Day and it was pushing 90 on the mountain. Hardly any grass in the meadows. If you do draw I hope the weather is better. Archery is tough, lots of people on the mountain deer hunting, archery spike, and bear hunting. We were parked opening morning waiting to hike in when 20 sxs with dogs on the back zipped by and hunted the next canyon over. They also were camped in the same area so lots of barking all night. Not complaining just fair warning there’s a lot of people up there enjoying the mountain. The elk herd is down since they issued control tags 5 or 6 years ago but there’s still some nice bulls. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom